Jamey Chadwell's success at Liberty

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Let Liberty play our schedule and see. I think one or two of Louisville, Ole Miss, UNC, and Clem might have beaten him.
There's no way to know because he would have had our team to coach, not Liberty's.
It's apples to oranges, and as much as we might assume, there's no way to see into that other universe, the one where he's our coach.
But I'll just stay in this universe and say I'm happy with the coach we've got now.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Liberty is 10-0 right now. TEN wins. ZERO losses ... (including a win over Bowling Green last week) ... all of which goes right along with past success.
I like Key. I'm pulling hard for him. I see reasons for optimism. Yet, I also regret not hiring Chadwell. Is it possible to have both of those feelings ... apparently so.

Is this really Tech football related? Who cares?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
IMO Key and the current staff understand what it takes to get us "winning at the highest level" in CFB, knows how to do it. We'll see if they can pull it off. I'm happy with where we are and what I'm seeing.
Frankly I'm more worried about the money thing, always been my biggest worry with where CFB is and where we are presently.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell was my choice, but I like most everything Key has done so far. If we can get a 6th win, I will call the season a success.
💯 percent.

Even if we lose Saturday I will be optimistic about the future but a win plus a bowl game would be a remarkable first year turnaround and I would be ecstatic.

I’m even cautiously nervous to see how we do against uga. They are definitely a measuring rod for all things college football right now. If we could manage to stay within 17 points I would consider that an heroic accomplishment.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We need to get into a good lead which would force them away from a running game. Take away their strength. We should be favored in a shootout type game but if we fall behind in the fourth quarter they may be able to control the clock.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I like Chadwell. IMO he is an up and coming coach that will be hired away from Liberty in a couple of years if he keeps it up. I would have been fine with him being hired here. That being said, while Liberty is 10-0 right now, they have one of the most favorable schedules in the nation this year. Their SoS ranking is anywhere from 110-133 depending on the rating system.

Well, that helps for sure but Liberty's ranking is not nearly as outrageous as UGA's schedule ranking of 60. A team full of NFL prospects with five stars scattered throughout the three deep should be playing a schedule at least as demanding as say Alabama at number 4 or Ole Miss or even poor Purdue which has the hardest schedule in the country.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
These are fun questions. And not because I’m unhappy with Key.

The Tech psyche is forever addicted to the ongoing question of what is the secret sauce that can win at an academically challenging school with a limited curriculum in an age of semi-pro ball.
There isn't one. The deck is stacked against us far beyond what Dodd faced with calculus textbooks being left at recruits' homes by rival teams.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I like Chadwell. IMO he is an up and coming coach that will be hired away from Liberty in a couple of years if he keeps it up.
I was in favor of Chadwell initially. But my nagging concern was that Tech was simply another rung on his ladder. We would have had him for 3-5 years tops. (Like Deion.)

If Key is successful, he'll coach at Tech for 20 years.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I think chadwell would have come here, tried to turn it around (and may have), and then left. He has no reason to view Tech as anything but a proving ground. The difference with Key is that he care just beyond it beyond his job.
Whether it works out as a coach with him or not, I will never doubt for a second that he wants nothing more than for this program to be great. And I’m willing to die on the hill with a coach that wants that over a coach who might be a slightly better, but doesn’t care about tech.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I think chadwell would have come here, tried to turn it around (and may have), and then left. He has no reason to view Tech as anything but a proving ground. The difference with Key is that he care just beyond it beyond his job.
Whether it works out as a coach with him or not, I will never doubt for a second that he wants nothing more than for this program to be great. And I’m willing to die on the hill with a coach that wants that over a coach who might be a slightly better, but doesn’t care about tech.
I thought I was going to die on the hill one time, but Dean Dull was lenient on me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s a fallacy perpetuated by many sports fans and even some coaches that you can be your “best” week in and week out. You can’t. That’s the goal, but it’s extraordinarily difficult, if not impossible.
You can put in the effort and the prep and still have mental lapses and ups and downs. Really good teams don’t “avoid” these let downs, but they more often survive them. They are talented enough to overcome or stay close, and experienced enough to focus when the opportunity presents.
We’re rebuilding. We aren’t talented enough to overcome lapses against decent football teams. We’re not experienced enough to regroup / refocus on the fly. Granted, we seem to be the most “Jekyll & Hyde” team in CFB this year because our highs are pretty darned high, but I like the highs… it shows the level at which we are capable of competing. Problem is, when we’re off, we’re susceptible to loss to just about anyone too. Its magnified for us right now, but we’ve always been a team that relies heavily on execution more so than raw talent / physical traits so we see bigger swings when execution is not there.
On target. It is so difficult to maintain peak performance week after week that several years ago there was a movement among coaches in all sports to track biorhythms. Any of y’all remember that?

But the advantage uga has is having such a superior level of talent and depth that even when they have an off game, whether against South Carolina, Auburn, or Missouri, they still have a big margin for error, because of the talent differential, and they can pull out a win. Must be nice.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I doubt this thread will have any impact on the game, but it is moot discussion
What! You clearly don’t know how fan mojo works! Your thought that this taboo discussion topic can’t impact the outcome of a critical 6th win potential game is not only dangerous, you had the audacity to put it in print for god and everyone to see. You better kiss a frog and bury a dead possum under a full moon or we’ll know for sure who is to blame if things go wrong Saturday.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought I was going to die on the hill one time, but Dean Dull was lenient on me.
I will be honest, I was raised in the O’Leary days. So my viewpoint is probably a little skewed than some older (wiser?) fans. It could also be naive of me. I have had it pretty good in my lifetime till the recent years. But I’m definitely on the optimistic side of things