Jahaziel Lee

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the 4th vid might be an illegal block below the waist if interpret the the rule correctly

I'm pretty sure that it's okay. The force of the block is "from the front" of the defender, even if the blocker isn't square.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm pretty sure that it's okay. The force of the block is "from the front" of the defender, even if the blocker isn't square.

Only reason I asked because that was flag in the VT game, per the explaination, any downfield cut block the defender has to be "10 to 2" area of the blocker

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Only reason I asked because that was flag in the VT game, per the explaination, any downfield cut block the defender has to be "10 to 2" area of the blocker
I think the VT game wasa a blown call. The dude turned his back to the blocker at the very last second, so what was a good block when he launched it turned into a block from behind when contact was made.

Should have been a TD for JT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, I think that's backwards. I think it's that the blocker has to be 10 to 2 area of the blockee (they have to reasonably see the impact coming).

I think that what happened in the vpi game and in past games is that the defender being blocked, turns away from the blocker so that the end of the impact is more to the side or back, which the officials see as a block outside the defenders 10-2.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Dude comes off the ball FAST!

That first video is really interesting because you can clearly see how much of a head start he gets over just about everyone else on the line. While they're still down in their stances, he's already halfway past the DE on the way to the LB. Man he's gonna be fun to watch as he develops.
Edit: If he keeps it up, I expect to see a lot more option plays getting to the edge. Those LBs, if they fly to the edge untouched, can usually overwhelm the keep/pitch option with sheer numbers. When they get cut off from flowing wide, that's when you get to see JT attack a defender and force a decision (which he can then exploit).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really like Lee's movement. Seemed quick off the ball and he's athletic. I can see why other schools wanted him on the DL. Might be the quickest OL we have right now.

The staff did really well last class getting 2 immediate impact freshmen in Braun and Lee. Funny thing about Lee. Wasn't regarded as the OL prospect his HS teammate Donvaughn Campbell was, but Lee is having a more immediate impact for GT than DC is able to have for LSU.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think there's a reason why Lee is so quick: he's so light. At 263 (listed, real = who knows), he's a bit on the skinny side for an OT, even in our O. Given another year in the weight room, we'll see if his speed holds up. Personally, I'd guess that it will, but you never know. His progress is encouraging, but I would still like to see someone with more experience in a starting role.

But, like I keep saying, that's why they pay Coach the big bucks.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
But we really need a guy with his kind of explosiveness off the snap on the DL. It seems that if a guy is an "or" guy and he's really good, PJ gets him on O. (Shaq)
AJ Gray? Lynn Griffin for most of his time? or are we only talking linemen?
Good point. We also have the Swilling kid coming in next year. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. (Bback or LB?)
Even if we're talking linemen... Gotsis. Also one of the Morgans was DL until moved to OL out of depth necessity/path to playing time.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm interested to see how Lee performs in ACC play. Seemed he did what he needed to do in the video clips, so kudos to him. That's all you can ask. And I didn't notice him much in real-time (in a bad way), so that's a big positive too.

Now, if you look at the same clips from the angle of a D coach/talent/execution... yikes. Not exactly the blueprint for taking proper angles at LB.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I agree with Cuse. The videos really don't look good to me. They show he gets off the ball fast and he at least gets to somebody which is a plus, but I don't really see any well executed blocks there at all. Still not bad for a Freshman though.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Vid #3 is close. he aims for outside thigh pad, misses but gets the man to the ground. That one was MM's long gainer iirc.

Like what I see. Will be interesting to see him against a bigger, quicker D.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Cuse. The videos really don't look good to me. They show he gets off the ball fast and he at least gets to somebody which is a plus, but I don't really see any well executed blocks there at all. Still not bad for a Freshman though.

I mean, "got the job done" = "well executed" to me. Textbook? no, but effective, and I'll take effective 7 days a week, and about 80 times on saturday.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Vid #3 is close. he aims for outside thigh pad, misses but gets the man to the ground. That one was MM's long gainer iirc.

Like what I see. Will be interesting to see him against a bigger, quicker D.

He didn't miss. He did a diving headbutt straight to the mans ballbag. That's a direct hit, where I'm from.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Looked good in those videos. Hopefully he keeps it up. After watching VT last night, we're definitely going to need him to when we play those guys...

I wonder what would have happened with him at LT against Miami...maybe we can knock at least 7 off their score?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The one thing nobody can deny, because it is plainly right there on the vid, is that he is faster off the snap than the rest. That is a great place to start. If you are wondering, that is the same trait Shaq displayed very early on in his career. Just saying. Obviously there is a lot of water yet to go under the bridge, but the kid is quick and fast.