Jackets Travel to Louisville, 2/10/2024, MBB

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He practically announced kids are getting moved along.

Also, some of the questions asked seemed to lack an ability to read the room.

Yeah, he's out there giving existential stuff but they're all, "So uh, what about Louisville's rebounding, coach?"

Like, toss out the prep work guys. Ask the man if he can expound on what he's saying.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, he's out there giving existential stuff but they're all, "So uh, what about Louisville's rebounding, coach?"

Like, toss out the prep work guys. Ask the man if he can expound on what he's saying.
KQ wasn't in attendance or maybe we'd have gotten some actual journalism.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd like to better understand Abram in this context as he's earning his way back on to the floor.
I'm not sure I've seen Abram earning his way back on the floor just yet.

Getting a little bit more time, but who knows if that's truly indicative of being back in the good graces.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I've seen Abram earning his way back on the floor just yet.

Getting a little bit more time, but who knows if that's truly indicative of being back in the good graces.
Earning might have been too strong a word. Seeing the floor more? Some? Could be a best of remaining options I suppose. The rooting for the young man part of me hopes that it's earning.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it was in the pre-season that Stoudamire said that he wouldn't immediately yank a player for a mistake because he thought there were better ways to correct players than showing them up under the lights. But I guess this team doesn't play with enough self-respect to get that consideration.

"I'm Looking for 5 guys," means to me that it is questionable whether he even has that many who meet his minimum standards of competitive toughness. Are his strong words just motivational, or do we see some prominent names lose their roles?

This could actually make the rest of the season interesting, to see who plays and who doesn't and see if he can get 5 guys to play with a pair.

The off season will be equally fascinating. I don't think he relates to most players on this roster, he looks legitimately flummoxed by the team's play, may actually be embarrassed and offended by them and I expect massive turnover.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it was in the pre-season that Stoudamire said that he wouldn't immediately yank a player for a mistake because he thought there were better ways to correct players than showing them up under the lights. But I guess this team doesn't play with enough self-respect to get that consideration.

"I'm Looking for 5 guys," means to me that it is questionable whether he even has that many who meet his minimum standards of competitive toughness. Are his strong words just motivational, or do we see some prominent names lose their roles?

This could actually make the rest of the season interesting, to see who plays and who doesn't and see if he can get 5 guys to play with a pair.

The off season will be equally fascinating. I don't think he relates to most players on this roster, he looks legitimately flummoxed by the team's play, may actually be embarrassed and offended by them and I expect massive turnover.
Hopefully it’s not a pro vs. college disconnect but is just how the roster is composed now

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There will be turnover. However, that is the way of college basketball in 2024. I expect a full off season will make a difference with the players.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

There are mistakes that made in the commision of poor choice and then there are mistakes due to lack of effort. He will not pull someone immediately for the first, but will for the second

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
A
There will be turnover. However, that is the way of college basketball in 2024. I expect a full off season will make a difference with the players.
Ah, so Root thinks the remainder of the season will, for at least some players, be a time of redemption. At least there will be that window.

That could be. He did say quite recently that coaching is manipulation. So, his present hard line rhetoric could be some sort of motivational tactic.

But I will say that our coach speaks and looks pretty butt-hurt.

I cast a suspicious eye that some players have permanently tainted their character in the eyes of this coach and that a late season spurt may not change their image in his eyes. Damage done and burned bridges. We'll see.

I also wonder how this season, with the embarrassing efforts dominating a few inspiring wins, will influence recruiting. In the pre-season Stoudamire said, "personally, I like Freshmen" because their longer recruitment allows him to get to know them so much better than transfers, that there are fewer bad habits to break in Freshmen and that he has more time to mold them.

I tend to think that this season will only harden his bias against transfers. I am interested to see if this suspicion is played out with recruiting as we move forward.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have 3 legit D1 players on the team. And it shows. Stoudamire wasn’t hired for X’s or O‘s or to develop players. He was hired to bring in ready made D1 players. I think he can do it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just a small synopsis of the game, how in the world can one of our players come in after a time out, so they can't be too tired, and air ball of free throw?

That particular play happened as we spiraled out of control in the final 10 minutes of the game.