Jackets Need Media Presence

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Really couldn't let this go without comment. This a.m. on our supposed "flagship" station, Sandra Golden ran down the list of every sec game this weekend with point spreads and likely winners. Then, the ACCgames she said" Tech + 18 with Miami, sad ", Clemson - 24 at Louisville. She then said "the rest of the ACC games,pause does anyone really care"? In my opinion an insult to Tech and the ACC . How in the hell does Tech and the ACC expect to get any attention with this media crap, when they spew ugag talk all day with ex ugag players having their own shows ? Throw in WSB as their flagship station, Tech can't get an "attaboy". Tech needs their own station, rant over!!

Sidewalking

Banned
Really couldn't let this go without comment. This a.m. on our supposed "flagship" station, Sandra Golden ran down the list of every sec game this weekend with point spreads and likely winners. Then, the ACCgames she said" Tech + 18 with Miami, sad ", Clemson - 24 at Louisville. She then said "the rest of the ACC games,pause does anyone really care"? In my opinion an insult to Tech and the ACC . How in the hell does Tech and the ACC expect to get any attention with this media crap, when they spew ugag talk all day with ex ugag players having their own shows ? Throw in WSB as their flagship station, Tech can't get an "attaboy". Tech needs their own station, rant over!!

We would be better off with no "flagship station." Seriously, just stream it online and be done with 680. Local radio cares more about Atl Utd and the Gwinnett Stripers than they do about GT.

Sidewalking

Banned
I am ok with them not talking about us this year, actually. Collins has schmoozed them pretty well, so maybe when we start winning, it will change a little. Right now, I would rather they not talk about us.

Things have gotten real real bad if no news is better than just a tiny bit of news.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I mean she mentioned our game and the defending national champion’s game. Does anyone in Atlanta care about the rest of the garbage ACC right now? I don’t like the station either, but this is nothing.

Animal02

Banned
Respect is earned not given.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Respect is earned not given.

Unless you are the SEC.

If you are the SEC, a "bottom feeder" team being beaten does nothing to prove that another conference is strong. When that same "bottom feeder" in the same year beats a top 10 SEC team, it proves just how "deep" the entire conference is.

If you are the SEC, then in a year when the SEC has one great team and a lot of decent teams, depth of the conference is what determines a "strong" conference. In years in which the SEC has two or three very good teams and not much else, the top of the conference is what determines a "strong" conference.

The media changes and bends the metrics used to determine what a "strong" conference is to ensure that the SEC is always a "strong" conference.

Animal02

Banned
Unless you are the SEC.

If you are the SEC, a "bottom feeder" team being beaten does nothing to prove that another conference is strong. When that same "bottom feeder" in the same year beats a top 10 SEC team, it proves just how "deep" the entire conference is.

If you are the SEC, then in a year when the SEC has one great team and a lot of decent teams, depth of the conference is what determines a "strong" conference. In years in which the SEC has two or three very good teams and not much else, the top of the conference is what determines a "strong" conference.

The media changes and bends the metrics used to determine what a "strong" conference is to ensure that the SEC is always a "strong" conference.
Correct...the SEC is "special"

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The Atlanta sports talk radio landscape is beyond atrocious anyway. What a collection of has beens and never weres. (Though, frankly, I respect Dimino and like Bell and Cellini personally. Don't care for Dimino on the radio but the guys does do his own homework).

Remember how they all fawned over CGC at the beginning? And like I said, they will turn on him in a heartbeat if he starts losing, because they're all front-runners and bandwagon jumpers anyway.
Oh, and Finneran ... Whisenhunt was never offered the job. Interviewed? Yes. Offered? Nope. Not by a longshot. Not from what my sources tell me and my sources are better than yours, Finneran.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
When will people stop and realize that in the US, media is a capitalist business whose goal is to make money. Since SEC programs have much bigger fanbases with much more money, and ESPECIALLY in Georgia this year, then of course we and the rest of the ACC are mere after-thoughts. The media's JOB is to go after the biggest audience and those who will yield them the most revenues. That's their JOB! Why are you complaining when they do their job?

Changing that is as complex as getting our fan base and dollars to be the same size as UGa's.

We need to stop complaining and realize the realities of the world we live in.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
There are lots of people out there, with no allegiance to any particulate school, who just want, vicariously, perhaps, to be part of “something great”. Create a consistently successful football program and they will want to be a part of it. There is a reason the POTUS constantly touts “winning”. As has been famously said, “Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.” The question now is how low and how long does the program go and remain in the win-loss column until things change and the fan base rebuild begins.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
ACC needs to be a FB conference instead of BB conference, then recruit in FB so we can compete. I believe GT has a real opportunity to lead that move with what CGC is trying to do. I happen to think that is part of the opportunity he saw in seeking the job. All IMO of course. I believe we need to change Clemson and ourselves playing every year in order to help the problem. May not be important now or next yr, but going beyond that, it could become very important to conference standing. Again, all imo.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
As we all know, start winning and things will change.
As for 680, between Joe Ham and the C&C weekly interviews with TStan, we might be getting more attention than we even used to get. Meanwhile, Golden went to FSU which may have something to do with her apathy regarding the ACC.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I mean she mentioned our game and the defending national champion’s game. Does anyone in Atlanta care about the rest of the garbage ACC right now? I don’t like the station either, but this is nothing.
She's also an FSU grad, so she was slighting herself.

Honestly I hope the next time the contract is up that we're winning enough to demand a "roundtable" type show like they give the Mutts, and that its put in the same time window.

We do have JoeHam on their sister station (106.7/103.7 the SportsX) with Brandon Leak from 9-noon and they will have Joe cover the team from time to time.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
When will people stop and realize that in the US, media is a capitalist business whose goal is to make money. Since SEC programs have much bigger fanbases with much more money, and ESPECIALLY in Georgia this year, then of course we and the rest of the ACC are mere after-thoughts. The media's JOB is to go after the biggest audience and those who will yield them the most revenues. That's their JOB! Why are you complaining when they do their job?

Changing that is as complex as getting our fan base and dollars to be the same size as UGa's.

We need to stop complaining and realize the realities of the world we live in.

Exactly!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Well maybe, just maybe, if we beat ugag on the field and court more than 50% of the time things migh magically change. And folks thinking winning the ACC Coastal means crap in our state are delusional. It is about beating the big boys. Accept it or continue with our hurt feelings.

In sports - people like winners.

But yes, right now it is insulting. What are we going to do about it beyond whining?