Jackets Need Media Presence

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
When will people stop and realize that in the US, media is a capitalist business whose goal is to make money. Since SEC programs have much bigger fanbases with much more money, and ESPECIALLY in Georgia this year, then of course we and the rest of the ACC are mere after-thoughts. The media's JOB is to go after the biggest audience and those who will yield them the most revenues. That's their JOB! Why are you complaining when they do their job?

Changing that is as complex as getting our fan base and dollars to be the same size as UGa's.

We need to stop complaining and realize the realities of the world we live in.
You somewhat missed the point. It was, that she started to run down the ACC schedule with Tech and Clemson, then stated " nobody cares about the ACC" ( which included her alma mater). Completely dissing what probably is the 2nd best FB conference in the nation.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Her opinion with the miniscule audience her show has means slightly more than your opinion does. I’m not sure why you care. These people are never going to support us and their support would mean little if it were to come. It’s not worth worrying about. It would be cool to see us start our own thing and stop giving them the time of day though.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Most in the media are very limited sports fans. The only care about games that impact on national media story lines. Natty, Heismen trophy, some controversy being discussed. They could care less about raw football games.

I love watching teams that are local rivals, small school games with solid football players and coaches. Why media goes crazy when team like Citadel beats Tech, they have no respect for smalls school and the fact they have very tough football players and coaches that know the game very well.

Don’t get me wrong, love watching powerhouse match up, but not watching because of how it impacts national title picture, watching because it’s good football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I actually have to agree with Mike Bell on this. He said he was happy Tech won and happy they can talk about Tech on the show this week. Truth is right now we’re giving them nothing to talk about.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Honestly....nobody under the age of 25 listens to sports radio. So doesn't matter too much for recruiting tbh. And this is coming from a 23 year old college student.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Part of the problem is the ACC ceded Atlanta to the SEC, which was a huge mistake. We used to have the ACC BB championship on rotation and the conference dropped Atlanta. Why should the media care about the ACC if the ACC doesn't care about Atlanta.

Tech will get media coverage but we have to win. Yesterday was a good start, but for these stations, the mouth breathers pay the bills. Win in November and they will be on the bandwagon so fast our heads will spin. And we haven't had a decent flagship since WGST.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Honestly....nobody under the age of 25 listens to sports radio. So doesn't matter too much for recruiting tbh. And this is coming from a 23 year old college student.
I didn’t think anyone listened to them anymore. Or watched ESPN except for games.
Or read a real newspaper. And this is coming from an older guy.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Really couldn't let this go without comment. This a.m. on our supposed "flagship" station, Sandra Golden ran down the list of every sec game this weekend with point spreads and likely winners. Then, the ACCgames she said" Tech + 18 with Miami, sad ", Clemson - 24 at Louisville. She then said "the rest of the ACC games,pause does anyone really care"? In my opinion an insult to Tech and the ACC . How in the hell does Tech and the ACC expect to get any attention with this media crap, when they spew ugag talk all day with ex ugag players having their own shows ? Throw in WSB as their flagship station, Tech can't get an "attaboy". Tech needs their own station, rant over!!

We need to worry about what we can control. There’s a lot of things GT can do to help itself. Then this kind of stuff will take care of itself.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Pre season, they seemed to be enthusiastic about us but 1-5 has kinda’ left them without much to talk about understandably so. This W though will get a commensurate amount of attention from them.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
ACC needs to be a FB conference instead of BB conference, then recruit in FB so we can compete. I believe GT has a real opportunity to lead that move with what CGC is trying to do. I happen to think that is part of the opportunity he saw in seeking the job. All IMO of course. I believe we need to change Clemson and ourselves playing every year in order to help the problem. May not be important now or next yr, but going beyond that, it could become very important to conference standing. Again, all imo.

I wouldn’t mind playing Clemson every year if it was a non-conference game. Then add another cross divisional opponent to play each year. Would make the schedule more difficult but that could eventually work in our favor.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
GT was dumb not to grab the strongest signal in the city, 92.9, as their flagship. People are hearing GSU games an hour outside of Atlanta. I have degrees from there too, so I'm not super mad, but GT missed a huge opportunity, especially with the radio station right across the interstate.

Off topic

What the heck are you doing in here? Shouldn’t you be on TAFT running Quinn outta town??

(Godzilla1985)

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Local radio cares more about Atl Utd and the Gwinnett Stripers than they do about GT.

Atlanta United posted the third largest crowd in the world during last week's playoff game and regularly breaks attendance records. They simply have more fans and are in the middle of a playoff run. Of course local radio should care more about United.

"Atlanta United’s announced attendance of 66,114 for Saturday’s playoff game against New England was surpassed only by the 73,737 at Old Trafford for Sunday’s game between Manchester United and Liverpool in Manchester, England, and the 81,365 at Signal Iduna Park in Dortumund, Germany, for Saturday’s game between Borussia Monchengladbach and Borussia Dortmund."

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-...occer-crowd-last-week/bTJ4R4IMB1QNIU1RL6IHnI/

Jmonty71

Banned
Really couldn't let this go without comment. This a.m. on our supposed "flagship" station, Sandra Golden ran down the list of every sec game this weekend with point spreads and likely winners. Then, the ACCgames she said" Tech + 18 with Miami, sad ", Clemson - 24 at Louisville. She then said "the rest of the ACC games,pause does anyone really care"? In my opinion an insult to Tech and the ACC . How in the hell does Tech and the ACC expect to get any attention with this media crap, when they spew ugag talk all day with ex ugag players having their own shows ? Throw in WSB as their flagship station, Tech can't get an "attaboy". Tech needs their own station, rant over!!
Usually that comes with winning. I hate to say that. But, the media is ALL about ratings. Which is why you see Atlanta stations claiming to the flagship station of the Dwags. Until we can produce a marketable winning program, we'll get the same treatment.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to come across the wrong way here, as I'm not being snide. I really just want to understand. So why do people continue to repeat the obvious...that if we won people would say nicer things about us?

Wanting to associate with winners is expected and natural human nature. There is really no meaningful insight there, yet people continue to repeat it like they've figured something out. And besides, I believe that is a straw-man response to what the OP original stated.

The original comment simply said that we need a more favorable media presence and that our current media partners are not at all favorable. From my observation that isn't a very difficult position to defend and it is certainly a worthy point to discuss.

Of course, if we won people would want to be associated with us more. Using that as a way to dismiss the assertion lacks originality and totally (and likely intentionally) misses the point.

I am fortunate to be involved in setting up a lot of business partnerships. In business you don't enter into partnerships with the expectation that your partner treats you the same way that they treat their other non-partners. You expect better and favorable treatment from them. If not, why are you even in a partnership at all?

But it sure doesn't seem like we receive that benefit of partnership from our media partners. In that, the OP's point is very valid. I believe that we need to do a better job finding partners who will honor the partnership by finding something positive to say about us even when the social trends are all negative and it is difficult to find positive things to say. There is almost always a positive truth to cover. But our media partners get more milage by piling onto the negative truths and it speaks volumes that they choose to do that rather than honor the partnership. Other schools seemingly get more universally positive support from their media partners than we do.

I frankly think it is a reasonable expectation and a good question to raise about our business partners.

Jmonty71

Banned
I'll add a little more to this. We need to ask ourselves one big question. How marketable is the GT program? How easy does GT make it for them to be marketed? The media is going to report on what watchers/listeners are interested in. So, yes...winning really does help a lot. Because it makes it where people talk about us. But, when it comes down to it. How marketable is the GT name? I've seen on the board, where people are "happy" that we aren't sold in Walmart. But, is that truly a good thing??? I think part of media exposure comes from branding your name. I cannot say GT does well with that. I am definitely open to comments, rebuttals, corrections and such. But, the truth is.. It's hard to find GT items sometimes. I think that has a direct correlation to media exposure or the media's desire to cover us.