Jackets Need Media Presence

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to come across the wrong way here, as I'm not being snide. I really just want to understand. So why do people continue to repeat the obvious...that if we won people would say nicer things about us?

I would even dispute that with respect to Atlanta media. Even when GT football is very good, the team does not get the same level of exposure that the mutts do. I remember in 1990 that GT was below the fold of the sports section and the mutts were above the fold even late in the year. The undefeated GT team was not the top news in Atlanta, the 4-7 mutts were.

GT does get good coverage in national and other regional media when the teams are doing well, but does not get favorable coverage in Atlanta regardless of how the team is doing.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I would even dispute that with respect to Atlanta media. Even when GT football is very good, the team does not get the same level of exposure that the mutts do. I remember in 1990 that GT was below the fold of the sports section and the mutts were above the fold even late in the year. The undefeated GT team was not the top news in Atlanta, the 4-7 mutts were.

GT does get good coverage in national and other regional media when the teams are doing well, but does not get favorable coverage in Atlanta regardless of how the team is doing.
I mean, honestly, Tech is more like Georgia Southern than it is Georgia in terms of regional and local fandom, at least nowadays. I’m sure back in Dodd’s hay day it was closer to being a 50/50 split. In terms of sports, Tech truly is UGAg’s “little brother”, where they are always favored, and it’s a surprise when GT wins, even if they’re having a better year. UGAg has dominated the big 3 sports for many years now. Before this past baseball season, Tech had went 0-11 across the 3 sports since the 2016 football win.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Getting 92.9 as our flagship would be huge imo, great signal, they mainly talk pro sports but anything would be better than 680, their hosts are all outcasts and station strength is basically nil outside the perimeter.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I mean, honestly, Tech is more like Georgia Southern than it is Georgia in terms of regional and local fandom, at least nowadays. I’m sure back in Dodd’s hay day it was closer to being a 50/50 split. In terms of sports, Tech truly is UGAg’s “little brother”, where they are always favored, and it’s a surprise when GT wins, even if they’re having a better year. UGAg has dominated the big 3 sports for many years now. Before this past baseball season, Tech had went 0-11 across the 3 sports since the 2016 football win.
3 cycles is not many years to me. Football is the only sport uga has been dominant in.

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
Off topic

What the heck are you doing in here? Shouldn’t you be on TAFT running Quinn outta town??

(Godzilla1985)

SmartSelect_20191026-010322_Chrome.jpg

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Getting 92.9 as our flagship would be huge imo, great signal, they mainly talk pro sports but anything would be better than 680, their hosts are all outcasts and station strength is basically nil outside the perimeter.

I listen to 92.9 a good bit because I cover a sales territory that is partially outside of the perimeter. They have their fair share of doofuses on their channel, but they put out good stuff sometimes as well. UGA coverage doesnt dominate, and they always address Tech. All of them are very high on Collins.

Even Randy McMichael, the former Dawg TE, has had nothing but positive things to say about Collins. He hates Tech, but he has been fair in his assessment. I cant fault anyone for disliking their rival. At the beginning of the year, he said it would take Collins 3 seasons and then we would be perennial top 25. It was a stunning comment coming from a Licker of Turd.

I'm also a Braves, Falcons, Hawks and United fan so I enjoy the pro segments. But they always include GT discussion, more than 680 does at least. And they do not pander to the Dwag crowd like 680. And you can pick it up all the way down to North Macon and the SC border up 85.

However, that said, I cant listen to the afternoon show with Carl and Mike. Those two are too much for me. Cant stand Mike Bell.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I listen to 92.9a good bit as well. I actually don’t mind Randy, he’s pretty decent and partial for a ugag alum, and he’s way better than Rick Kamala who was just horrible in every way. I also don’t love Dukes and Bell, but Mike Bell does give ugag hell when they deserve it. Hugh Douglas is also just brutally bad at times, i can’t tell you how many times i’ve changed the station because of him lol

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
I listen to 92.9a good bit as well. I actually don’t mind Randy, he’s pretty decent and partial for a ugag alum, and he’s way better than Rick Kamala who was just horrible in every way. I also don’t love Dukes and Bell, but Mike Bell does give ugag hell when they deserve it. Hugh Douglas is also just brutally bad at times, i can’t tell you how many times i’ve changed the station because of him lol

Oh man don’t get me started on Rick Kamala. Guy was a 50 something jock/frat boy wannabe. Every other word was “Dope”, “Buzzkill” or “Ballin’”.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
The Hometeam and Hamilton show is pretty complimentary of us on the SportsX, but I don't listen to the rest of their shows to know if they are any good.