Jackets MBB host Syracuse, 2/17/2024

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Won the rebounding battle 49 28. Oh my God that’s huge as a demonstration of effort and toughness

Key thing was we kept them out of the paint and out of getting downhill especially in second half. Syracuse can’t shoot. Scored just enough on our side to get a win. Love it
Good post. Played hard till the end. Rebounds was pleasant surprise. Gapare is going to be a player. Still learning the game and staying under control.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Not pretty but you can see what this team could be with fewer mistakes and learning to focus for an entire game.
Except they made lots of mistakes. 17 turnovers. You can’t win in Division 1 or in the ACC when an opponent picks your pocket 12 times unless you are playing a very high level of defense. I wouldn’t say Syracuse can’t shoot. They’re not a good shooting team, but they score enough to have a winning record. Give this team big props for a great defensive effort and, at the same time, staying out of foul trouble, while absolutely dominating on the glass at both ends. Most importantly it’s nice to see that these young men, despite their losing streak, still care about winning ball games.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Rebounding saved our bacon, especially when we look at the turnover difference.

1000004059.png

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Except they made lots of mistakes. 17 turnovers. You can’t win in Division 1 or in the ACC when an opponent picks your pocket 12 times unless you are playing a very high level of defense. I wouldn’t say Syracuse can’t shoot. They’re not a good shooting team, but they score enough to have a winning record. Give this team big props for a great defensive effort and, at the same time, staying out of foul trouble, while absolutely dominating on the glass at both ends. Most importantly it’s nice to see that these young men, despite their losing streak, still care about winning ball games.
My point was that this was an ugly game, not a good game, by any means.

BUT

There were occasional moments of focus and you could see that if we just cut down on mistakes, that alone would win us a lot more games.

Agree completely with you, just trying to describe an awkward win that, if you kind of blur your eyes and squint, you can see the promise.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This game was not a lot different than a bunch of games we've lost. This time we played tough right to the end. They key rebound we did not get at the end of the ND game fell our way this time. Games like this are ugly, but scrappy play is what we needed. We are not a good shooting team, so we have to win other ways. Last night was a great game on the boards partly because Cuse doesn't match up well with us. They don't have a big who can physically overpower Ndongo or Gapare like ND's Njie and Zona can.