Jackets MBB host Syracuse, 2/17/2024

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. The kid has a lot of talent but he is so immature he doesn't need to have starting pressure put on him. His classmates are still in high school.
And Kyle can provide senior leadership that this team desperately needs.
Nait played much better earlier but now he is a turn over machine with his passing and his scoring has disappeared, 0 points today in 20 minutes. We should see him play more up to his potential after a year in the system under CDS next year. I do like Nait a lot but to me he should be given time to grow into his role as a starter.
I see it the opposite was. George is better at initiating our offense and Kyle is a boost off the bench for scoring.

I think CDS does a great job managing both of their playing time. They play 10-25 minutes on the court together nearly every game.

I love how Kyle has taken Nait under his wing in helping him develop as a college player.

As an aside Nait did not skip his senior year of HS. He was planning on reclassifying and going to a prep school for a year. Glad he came to GT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
George is struggling... Needs to head to the weight room
I am all about letting your future work through it. However, I don’t know NTG or his personality. I’d run him out there and let him figure it out. However, if he is prone to self doubt/deprecation it may not be the best. Hopefully he is hungry to better himself and takes it as a personal challenge.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion that was my favorite game we played so far. Sure, it wasn’t Duke or UNC but we fought and played as a team. Everyone gave us something which was fun. My favorite play of the game was in the mid 2nd half when Cuse was in their zone D and Gafare set a pick at he top of the 3 and Sturdivant simply stepped around the screen took one dribble and hit a 15 footer from the foul line. It was such a simple basketball play that I think our entire team realized it’s not that darn hard. Just do what you’ve done in your driveway since you were 5. It seemed like after that jumper our offense became consistent which we all know rarely happens. We’ll see if the guys settle down and just make the simple plays from here on out.

slugboy

Staff member
I am all about letting your future work through it. However, I don’t know NTG or his personality. I’d run him out there and let him figure it out. However, if he is prone to self doubt/deprecation it may not be the best. Hopefully he is hungry to better himself and takes it as a personal challenge.
Yeah. We ain’t playing for the postseason right now—unless we make and sweep the ACC tournament. This season is about learning to fly

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm late to post, but I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the game from section 202, and I saw a team that has not given up. The play that Ndongo made to save the ball in the last 30 seconds is indicative of the effort and energy the whole team played with. Syracuse inexplicably did not even attempt to get offensive rebounds on free throws and often pulled their guys back on any shot attempt. But we fought hard and killed them on the boards. Gapare had his best game in a while and Sturdivant, Kelly, and Ndongo all made big shots. It was fun to see them play in person, and of course fun to see a win. If, by chance, anybody sees me as the lucky charm, you are welcome to buy me tickets to the remaining games. :)

Go Jackets!

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Ndongo bounced his head off the floor like 4 times. Was worried he was gonna get another concussion

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My girlfriend (who had never seen Syracuse play and isn’t a huge sports fan) said at one point, “I feel terrible for Syracuse’s players.” Me: “Uhhhh okay?” Her: “They have to play with Copeland and he’s a cancer.” He’s obviously talented and emotional but I just thought it was interesting she picked up on it. And this was before he got into it with his teammate late during a timeout.

Why a woman who hasn’t married me yet is willing to watch this GT team on a Saturday night (delayed watch), I’m still trying to figure out.
... D...o... n...o...t mess it up! (Looks like a keeper 😄)

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. We ain’t playing for the postseason right now—unless we make and sweep the ACC tournament. This season is about learning to fly
The team is not all about Nait, they are trying their hardest to win basketball games. Near the end of the game, coach put George back in and he through the ball away in his first trip down the court and he never played again. If coach quits playing his best five to give the team the best chance to win games, he will lose the team which is the worse thing that can happen to everyone on the team. CDS seems to know this.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The team is not all about Nait, they are trying their hardest to win basketball games. Near the end of the game, coach put George back in and he through the ball away in his first trip down the court and he never played again. If coach quits playing his best five to give the team the best chance to win games, he will lose the team which is the worse thing that can happen to everyone on the team. CDS seems to know this.
CDS does a very good job sharing minutes on matchups and in game performance. The players seem to have bought in and understand the why for minutes.