Jabari's Instagram post?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We've seen what poor team culture combined with entitled prima donnas looks like. Team culture is paramount and the tone is set at the top. I'm with Coach on this.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. Ineligible instead of dismissed. Just tying the ends of "of not holding up your end of bargain"
Situations similar to Ball's are why I really loath the one-and-done in basketball. When most of those players, not all of course, but most -- get past the first semester to remain eligible they blow class off in the second because they are leaving anyway and seemingly remain eligible until the final grades.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
All of that is water under the bridge now.

You send the message that we are family, and we help family every way you can...

That means we help him get some visibility to the league, and if that doesn't work out we help him to the extent we can with getting a degree and/or starting a career.

I'm on the other side of this one.

/
I kind of agree with this, I just know that personally I still have a bad taste in my mouth for the way he quit the team when we were down at our lowest point. We had just lost Gotsis for the rest of the season and all of a sudden we're down our top 2 DTs because the dude quit. I get that we're a family, but that's not how you treat your brothers. I guess I would have let the mood of the team decide what to do (which very well could be what happened). There's a not small chance a lot of the team felt bitter about his leaving, especially after we saw how close the UGA game was. We were this close to pulling that one off, who knows how it would have turned out to have one of our starting DTs on the field.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The same situation happened at Auburn with Duke Williams. You make amends, if possible, and see what happens. CPJ and company said no to pro day and that's fine. If he said yes, that would of been fine, too bc it benefit GT more by having another guy showing out at Pro Day and getting drafted.

As far as the team, that should be the farthest thing from their minds. They need to be focusing on how we can be back in the ACCCG

First of all, I said some not so nice things about Ma Tech during my last year, semester, months after graduation, so I've got no problem with Jabari venting frustration on instagram or whatever.

I also agree that I would've respected either decision with respect to Jabari and the pro-day because I reckon the coaches know all the dynamics of the situation.

So, I'm less inclined to agree with you on what would benefit GT more. Yes, in the video Jabari says all the right things, but if his early departure from the team was not for physical/health reasons (as I had assumed), then I think it comes off as a little disingenuous to suggest that the one word that describes you is finisher, just 3 months later. Also, his instragram post came after this video was made, right? So, that sort of undercuts the taking ownership thing and actually makes the video seem like a passive aggressive swipe at GT and CPJ, imo.

Tech owes this guy nothing. He's not family. He's a quitter. He quit on his real family and brothers at Tech. He had choices and picked the wrong one multiple times. Good luck c ya is all he gets.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Tech owes this guy nothing. He's not family. He's a quitter. He quit on his real family and brothers at Tech. He had choices and picked the wrong one multiple times. Good luck c ya is all he gets.
Come on are you really that sour about it?
He made a bad decision, have you never done that? Also we don't even know everything that went into the decision, and it's honestly none of our business.

I wish him nothing but the best.

Come on are you really that sour about it?
He made a bad decision, have you never done that? Also we don't even know everything that went into the decision, and it's honestly none of our business.

I wish him nothing but the best.
I don't give two caps about Jabari, sorry if you don't agree. If I was GIVEN the chance to play D1 football and not pay to go to a school like Tech, I wouldn't piss it away. If I did piss it away TWICE, I wouldn't blame Tech. He needs to grow up and look in the mirror.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

While I don't think Jabari is a bad person, he's been given a lot of chances. Not many coaches would have stuck with him through the academic issues, it would have been easy for CPJ to cut bait at that point. Stuck with him again when he was suspended during the season. And after all that, he QUITS the team. Let's be clear -- there are youthful mistakes, but we're talking about a 23-year-old man who had been given a lot of leeway with his behavior.

So to turn around and then be angry about not being part of Pro Day, a privilege that should be reserved for student-athletes who have followed the rules?

If the only rule is that there are no rules, any program would spiral out of control.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So I didn't mean to stir the pot with the thread.. I was really just curious if something had happened. I had the impression he got behind in classes, paid the price and gutted it out on the practice squad, then had a heralded return (all of which happened due to support from CPJ and the school), but then he elected to leave the team in the middle of the year.

I just didn't know if we had actually done something untowards to him or if he was venting about a perceived slight.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We know, at best, perhaps 1/2 the real story. Seems like a lot of judgement on this young person, and a lot of it negative from, I would venture, people who were in the preseason waxing poetic how this guy was going to be Reggie White. Even though he had not been in a game for what seemed like forever.

Probably same people laughing about turning off a N.D. game because they got scared or saying we would easily beat C.U. by 20.

I have no doubt he made mistakes (Jeez, can you imagine a college student making mistakes?), but I can very easily see a scenario where someone said "you put on 40 more pounds and such & such will happen", "I know you were told this but that has changed".

Anyway, I hope young people meet success. He came to Tech, he tried in many ways, very hard to make something happen. And I pray there are good things in his life that nobody will ever be able to take away from him.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We know, at best, perhaps 1/2 the real story. Seems like a lot of judgement on this young person, and a lot of it negative from, I would venture, people who were in the preseason waxing poetic how this guy was going to be Reggie White. Even though he had not been in a game for what seemed like forever.

Probably same people laughing about turning off a N.D. game because they got scared or saying we would easily beat C.U. by 20.

I have no doubt he made mistakes (Jeez, can you imagine a college student making mistakes?), but I can very easily see a scenario where someone said "you put on 40 more pounds and such & such will happen", "I know you were told this but that has changed".

Anyway, I hope young people meet success. He came to Tech, he tried in many ways, very hard to make something happen. And I pray there are good things in his life that nobody will ever be able to take away from him.

Look, he could have easily handled all of this in a much more classy manner. As you said, we only know half the story, however, I will say that taking to public social media and insinuating that the school took something from you is not exactly an approach that should be condoned. It's not like Georgia Tech is coming out and publicly taking shots at him and trying to trash his draft stock...It's all just very disappointing.