Jabari

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As Johnson intimated in the preseason he's going to have some inexperience that shows as a first year starter. Johnson said Hunt got away with some things he won't get away with against really good OL, iirc.
Yes. One of CPJ's quotes was, "He did some things out there today that would get us killed in a real game."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Jabari has the physical tools to be very good. As a couple of us have said, he lacks some experience and may still be learning some critical techniques. By the end of the season I expect him to be one of the best DTs in the nation. But his slow rise to prominence will put him middle of the draft for the NFL.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
JHD may be a first year started at NT, but I wouldn't liken hi to a Fr or RS-Fr. He is over 21 years old and has been around the program for 4+ years. That in itself makes the learning curve steeper and him a grown man. He knows what it takes to succeed at this level.
He will be a force by the 3rd game of the season if not sooner

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Last year Gotsis drew a double team often because of his speed and quickness. If Jabari can demand a double team too, then, we'll be very successful putting pressure on the QB in obvious passing downs. It will also free the LB's up to fly to the ball. I hope that in 2015 that 4 of the top 6 tacklers are not DB's.

I want to second this post, along several others following it, that point out the potential of the Hunt-Gotsis inside team. An O-Line cannot double team them both, so it could end up a "pick your poison" decision when they choose how to block us. That kind of synergy bodes well for the DL as a whole, too—not just the interior. I see the addition of JHD as possibly creating a tipping point where the whole is dramatically greater than the sum of the parts, and the DL improves much more that one would expect based on just looking a Jabari as a solitary puzzle-piece.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Jabari will be the most dominant DLineman in the ACC and be in line for national awards by end of the season.
He wants it.
He will be a game changer for the entire defense and a mentor for Kallon to fall right behind as.

This^^^ I think everyone will agree that he has everything he needs to be dominant on the line, and there's enough skill around him that he'll get to show what he can do, but there are a lot of guys playing ball who have the tools to be great and never pan out.

The biggest factor in determining how far Jabari goes (or anyone, for that matter) is how much he wants it. If he's willing to put in work, it will show in the field.

I'm with ATL on this one because I think JHD is hungry, and it's time to let him eat.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Jabari's situation reminds me of Tony Hargrove. Hargrove came into Tech having played QB in high school. The dude grew a ton and was a cut up 270 lbs and could outrun most of our LB's. So, where do you put the guy? We had him at DE, and he would've been a star. Man... what might've been if it weren't for flunkgate.

Ended up a starting DT for Superbowl winning NO Saints before it was over. I can definitely see them being similar players.

... The main difference: Whereas we just had to ask "what if" and wait for Hargrove to resurface in the pros, Jabari was able to fight his way back to playing, and we'll get to see his results here at GT.