It's simple to see what needs to be corrected for 2014

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm sure our staff has looked at all of the stats to see where their issues for 2013 were. My guess is that they knew what most of the were prior to looking them up. I remember a few years ago the special teams stats were our worse stats. CPJ addressed that issue with both coaches and personnel. I would think that they know we were dead last 123 out of 123 in completion percentage. I would think with both coaching and personnel they will be doing all they can to address this. Turnovers were a major issue on offense. CPJ has always said, Passing attempts may not be his major focus but when we do pass, he wants to be ranked very high in pass efficiency. We were 84th in the nation there. On defense there was much improvement, but we will need to work on forcing turnovers and fix our pass defense. We were 25th in the nation in sacks and had the 79th ranked pass defense efficiency. How does that happen? I actually thought our secondary was a strength.

Fire away...

2013GTSTATS_zps0ee31a6c.jpg

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you do these charts or where they pulled from somewhere? It would be interesting to see the prior year numbers in comparison.

The stats that jump out to me on offense are passing efficiency and TFL allowed. I believe we have been in the upper tier of these categories every other year that CPJ has been here. I could be wrong.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
The sacks vs. pass efficiency defense is very interesting. Just looking at those stats alone, it would appear that we had a good pass rush, but could not cover very well. I think that is very far from the truth. Here's my potential explanation:

Our sack total is high primarily because Attaochu got many of them on his own on plays where he blew past his man and got the quick sack. I don't know if anyone compiles this stat, but I would guess that our "hurries" total would be extremely low this season. Watching live, it seemed like when we didn't get to the QB, we REALLY didn't get to the QB, and he had a ton of time. I remember seeing plays where Attaochu got stuck in a double team and their QB just sat there forever until he found an open man.

Also, we got beat deep a lot more than we should have. I have to think that the Clemson game skewed that stat a little bit, because Tajh Boyd went OFF on us with perfectly thrown deep balls that were completed despite pretty good coverage.

JMHO, of course.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Much better on ST's and D overall. The KO and PR yards was definetly hurt by Goldens injury. Would like to see our pass yards allowed on D improve and 1st downs allowed improve. Turnovers and passing efficiency is a big thing we need to improve on O. Still really glad to see the improvements on ST and D. I believe the O will be humming again soon.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would like the passing efficiency to go up, but when you look back over the season it was the untimely turnovers and negative plays that sank our ship. If we just hang on to the ball and avoid the negative play, we are a juggernaut on offense. Look at the VT game. We move the ball nicely for a couple of plays on the very first drive, then Vad lets a guy swat the ball out of his hands in the backfield for a TO. VT scores in 2 plays. Later we drive all the way down the field, unforced pick, no points. Miami, we have a two score lead and are driving for a knockout blow. Vad fumbles the ball away, momentum stops and game flips. Music City Bowl, we are getting several nice plays in a row, then boom, blow a blocking assignment or make a bad read and we are 3rd and long, drives stall. No team goes the season without TOs or negative plays, but when you look at our rank in those categories, it negates much of the good stuff we were doing.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
The sacks vs. pass efficiency defense is very interesting. Just looking at those stats alone, it would appear that we had a good pass rush, but could not cover very well. I think that is very far from the truth. Here's my potential explanation:

Our sack total is high primarily because Attaochu got many of them on his own on plays where he blew past his man and got the quick sack. I don't know if anyone compiles this stat, but I would guess that our "hurries" total would be extremely low this season. Watching live, it seemed like when we didn't get to the QB, we REALLY didn't get to the QB, and he had a ton of time. I remember seeing plays where Attaochu got stuck in a double team and their QB just sat there forever until he found an open man.

Also, we got beat deep a lot more than we should have. I have to think that the Clemson game skewed that stat a little bit, because Tajh Boyd went OFF on us with perfectly thrown deep balls that were completed despite pretty good coverage.

JMHO, of course.

hurries found here: http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/255/miscdefense/index.html

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

JMHO, of course.

I'm looking for a big year out of Gotsis. He got in there a few times as well and got a sack or few. But you are right our pass rush was nothing to brag about.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If we have the least amount of turnovers and penalties in the ACC next year, we will play in the ACCCG. That to me is the difference between good coaching and bad coaching. Getting the most out of your talent as a coach means making less mistakes than everyone else. Duke is a prime example of an average team that played a mentally tough (that is what it takes) season.

Just look at how many turnovers in our offense come after a dumb penalty that put you in a position to call a high risk play.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I knew the TFL's looked to be more than I had ever remembered in a season under PJ, but this kind of confirms my eyes....

This offense does NOT work with TFL's....this has to be eliminated...or virtually eliminated......I know it was a mix of indecision by the QB and bad blocking by the O-line, but I just don't understand how we think this will automatically improve next year with JT and 3 new O-linemen, but I hope it does....

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I would like the passing efficiency to go up, but when you look back over the season it was the untimely turnovers and negative plays that sank our ship. If we just hang on to the ball and avoid the negative play, we are a juggernaut on offense. Look at the VT game. We move the ball nicely for a couple of plays on the very first drive, then Vad lets a guy swat the ball out of his hands in the backfield for a TO. VT scores in 2 plays. Later we drive all the way down the field, unforced pick, no points. Miami, we have a two score lead and are driving for a knockout blow. Vad fumbles the ball away, momentum stops and game flips. Music City Bowl, we are getting several nice plays in a row, then boom, blow a blocking assignment or make a bad read and we are 3rd and long, drives stall. No team goes the season without TOs or negative plays, but when you look at our rank in those categories, it negates much of the good stuff we were doing.
Of course my friend we both know this is just football and yes it did hurt us but to me we need a strong rush defense.Too many times we needed five men to stop the run and we had very suspect pass rush.When I see guys with awful percentages lighting us up it has to be our coverage and lack of rush.We will score and we will come close to eight wins and we will win three in a row at start of season but our season is not built on the little lads ..its how we do vs the big uns.I do agree though we were in position to win two more this year (ga and Miami) and blew big leads and of course we got little when we needed it from offense vs VT but yeah we could have been better won lose wise no doubt.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking for a big year out of Gotsis. He got in there a few times as well and got a sack or few. But you are right our pass rush was nothing to brag about.
I wonder how much Gotsis benefited from Sneezy and if that will hurt his production next season? I still think the kid is improving both physically and technically so that might overpower the loss of Sneezy.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder how much Gotsis benefited from Sneezy and if that will hurt his production next season? I still think the kid is improving both physically and technically so that might overpower the loss of Sneezy.
I think he benefited a lot from sneezy. We moved sneezy around alot and it helped everyone up front. I also feel like Gotsis improved a ton from the beginning of the year. If he adds speed and technique during this off season he may be a beast. I can't get a feel of what the front four is going to look like. I think Pat Gamble will be a beast this year though. What would the projected 2 deep be for the front four?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

That's a good point. Sneezy drew a lot of double teams and this may have opened the door for Gotsis to generate more pressure at times. I was still encouraged by Gotsis and how he seemed to bull rush through the line.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Wow, what a great look at the stats
I would like to see Conf games only-take out Elon/AM which REALLY made us look better and even byu/uga ,which were much more realistic in our abilities..

the def run stats were a nice change-what we hoped for and I expected with SR based DL.I don't expect same next yr.The DL pass rush was avg and spin it any way you want ,it will get worse next w/o JAtt.
Again passing attack basically stunk.How we have below passing 50% with the pass basically a "surprise" is amazing to me.With another new QB ,this will not change and PJ 's OFf will be gone probably by'15.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow, what a great look at the stats
I would like to see Conf games only-take out Elon/AM which REALLY made us look better and even byu/uga ,which were much more realistic in our abilities..

the def run stats were a nice change-what we hoped for and I expected with SR based DL.I don't expect same next yr.The DL pass rush was avg and spin it any way you want ,it will get worse next w/o JAtt.
Again passing attack basically stunk.How we have below passing 50% with the pass basically a "surprise" is amazing to me.With another new QB ,this will not change and PJ 's OFf will be gone probably by'15.
You can go here http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/255/rushing/offense/split.html and manipulate the stats to fit whatever you would like. It just takes a little time to figure out what you are looking for.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
fwiw, using cfbstats numbers for number of passes thrown against us and number of passes intercepted or knocked down, I calculated then number of passes we "defended" by number of passes we faced.

We were 75th in the country, intercepting or knocking down 12.65% of passes thrown against us.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
O
I'm sure our staff has looked at all of the stats to see where their issues for 2013 were. My guess is that they knew what most of the were prior to looking them up. I remember a few years ago the special teams stats were our worse stats. CPJ addressed that issue with both coaches and personnel. I would think that they know we were dead last 123 out of 123 in completion percentage. I would think with both coaching and personnel they will be doing all they can to address this. Turnovers were a major issue on offense. CPJ has always said, Passing attempts may not be his major focus but when we do pass, he wants to be ranked very high in pass efficiency. We were 84th in the nation there. On defense there was much improvement, but we will need to work on forcing turnovers and fix our pass defense. We were 25th in the nation in sacks and had the 79th ranked pass defense efficiency. How does that happen? I actually thought our secondary was a strength.

Fire away...

2013GTSTATS_zps0ee31a6c.jpg
You though Our secondary was a strength? Did you watch the games the past three years? Our secondary has been a problem for a while.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
O

You though Our secondary was a strength? Did you watch the games the past three years? Our secondary has been a problem for a while.
To be honest in my mind we have not had a decent secondary since 1990. JT has to blitz every play it seems to make up for coverage and all of us can remember playing clemins and tis third and 18 and they complete a pass....see to much cushion vs opponents wide outs.........not good.