It's simple to see what needs to be corrected for 2014

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
To be honest in my mind we have not had a decent secondary since 1990. JT has to blitz every play it seems to make up for coverage and all of us can remember playing clemins and tis third and 18 and they complete a pass....see to much cushion vs opponents wide outs.........not good.
I completly agree, is it too much to ask for simple press coverage with safety help over the top? I have no clue what purpose Ten yard cushions serve. It surrends easy completions and sets up easy second and third downs. The bend don't break philosophy just doesn't work worth a damn.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
O

You though Our secondary was a strength? Did you watch the games the past three years? Our secondary has been a problem for a while.
I hear ya. I have been watching the secondary for the past 3 years. That's why I thought the secondary was going to be a strength. I knew going into 2013 that we had a new attacking coach. I thought he would let our DB's play press and man coverage and not give a 10-15 yard cushion on EVERY play. We had Zay, Jamea, Golden, Milton and the great one Lou Young going in. Unfortunately we didn't play any press coverage along with Zay being hurt, Golden being hurt and The Great one not being so great.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
O

You though Our secondary was a strength? Did you watch the games the past three years? Our secondary has been a problem for a while.
For some reason, Lou Young slide into a SR funk and he alone was a terrible soft spot--that's coaching to me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Losing Holton to stupidity and Young to injury before game 1 hurt. Losing Golden to injury after the first few games and Milton for much of the season made it worse.

DJ White looks like he's going to be a very good corner. I don't know where L Griffin will land or whether Noble will play corner or nickel back next year. I expect some of the true freshmen might compete for a job at corner. I'm hopeful that Johnson, Golden, Smith and Milton will give us pretty solid depth at safety next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Golden plays some corner.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I completly agree, is it too much to ask for simple press coverage with safety help over the top? I have no clue what purpose Ten yard cushions serve. It surrends easy completions and sets up easy second and third downs. The bend don't break philosophy just doesn't work worth a damn.
Agree bend vs brake is not cool for a defense.It seems to take aggressive corner and safety play out of the mix.We used to use a fifty four when I played and coached in high school and the corners always had a safety for top cover.We always rotated toward the ball but one safety was always in the deep third or middle.What is bad is when a guy who completes prior to playing us only 45 percent of the passes he throws and then when he gets to us.........he becomes the Golden Arm of College Football..........man giving ten yds really opens up the short flats and the middle and we have seen guys kill us running the same routes time after time after time.Need to get better.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Losing Holton to stupidity and Young to injury before game 1 hurt. Losing Golden to injury after the first few games and Milton for much of the season made it worse.

DJ White looks like he's going to be a very good corner. I don't know where L Griffin will land or whether Noble will play corner or nickel back next year. I expect some of the true freshmen might compete for a job at corner. I'm hopeful that Johnson, Golden, Smith and Milton will give us pretty solid depth at safety next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Golden plays some corner.
The two twins from Lamar County can play...they are not that tall but man will they hit you..I watched them in the dome and they do not,repeat ,do not have any conception of what a arm tackle is.......they may be able to contribute right off the bat.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I know the coaches keep up with it, but I would like to see how each player graded out for the entire season. Also missed blocks and missed tackles.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I know the coaches keep up with it, but I would like to see how each player graded out for the entire season. Also missed blocks and missed tackles.

Actually, I think it would be informative just to get comparisons of position groups. Like, how did our OL grade-out this year compared to years previous, compared to years at Navy etc.