It's officially the offseason - GT vs Stanford - Round 12

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Somewhere between 61-67% of all Stanford Scholarshio offers are accepted. Majors don't matter it's the fact that it's always been a athletic ifs powerhouse (most national champs across all sports in NCAA history) and well known Ivy League esque academics. It's debatably one of the best brands in college sports. I hate the dumb majors argument as you can make it to the NFL at tech without ever taking calculus at tech as long as you graduate in time. Plus almost every D1 school has the majority of its athletes in a major. Some it's turf science some it's business.

Oh yeah Wisconsin is the only brand in its state so recruiting in state USB a breeze as the best talent in state likely grew up fans. As someone who grew up in the Midwest, most people are under valued by sports rankings simply due to the lack of competition. Unless your in metro Chicago or Twin cities, you aren't playing anyone too great so it's hard to grasp how you'd do.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
hn1uu.jpg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"Up until recently" we've let a bunch of knumbskulls in, too. Go look at the Ross and G'OL rosters, not a lot of Rhodes scholars among them. That's hyperbole, of course, but the point is clear, the academic standard for GT football SA's has risen dramatically in the last 10 years and the football success has, surprise, surprise, declined (on average). This is why I don't get all the guys who say "well Ross and GOL recruited better..." That was well before flunkgate and NCAA probation and APR hit the scene and before the ACC got a whole lot better.

As to your 'Stanford can't take all the smart kids' point, they recruit nationally a whole lot better than we do. Why is that? They also have TON more majors to offer those smart kids. Way more. All of which come with that coveted Stanford diploma.
Don't understand your last paragraph . You had me agreeing in sentence 1(They recruit better than we do nationally). Then posed the question of why they they are better at it than we are had me interested. Then next two sentences confused me. They seems to asset you believe that gt and Stanford spend equal effort on recruiting nationally. recruit

If Stanford and gt are good schools that have high entrance requirements and Stanford has way more majors then gt should spend way more to recruit nationally because it has fewer majors. We need way more recruiting than Stanford.

I know in the todd spencer days we were doing zero and were just trying to get solid in ga. Imo we are not spending much on national recruiting. I know the coaches are responsible for certain areas with Andy M coming to ft Walton Niceville but not pensacola.
Let's all agree If t Stan is ramping up recruiting support its bound to help

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I never said "Woe is GT" and don't see how my post reflects that characterization. You haven't refuted a single of my statements. The things you stated are true, I don't deny that, but the things I stated are true too.

No, you didn't say it verbatim, but your response every time anyone tries to say GT should do better is to make GT sound like an impossible place to play and coach. You have a half empty tone every time. You must not visit Ma Tech much because if you do, you'll realize GT has a LOT going for it.

Cheese, I know you mean well, and you're probably the few on here that will go down with the GT ship...but man, don't make GT out to be this mountain of a task to coach and play at. Is it harder than factories? Of course, but it's not so hard that GT could be a consistent 9+ win team every year.

Jmonty71

Banned
Ok..... Now, I didn't attend GT. Sorry, spent 6 years with Uncle Sams Misguided Children. But, why do people try to compare GT with other schools? When I was overseas, wearing my GT gear, people knew who GT was. Compared to my buddy wearing an Alabama hat. That had no clue who Alabama was, other than a state. World wide, we have a great following. Now, the school does not accept any Tom, Duck or Harry. I get it. You actually have to be smart to get into GT. Face it, a lot of schools don't make their SA's even attend class. Ie; why Lawrence Taylor couldn't read after graduating from UNC. That is what I like about GT. They are a true school. I feel like I'm helping STUDENT athletes and not some ATHLETES that are enrolled. There is a difference. Can we open more classes? Yes... But, I say the school still keeps true to themselves and only offer scholarships to worthy kids. Ones that will use the education, should the pro level not work.. Just my 2 pennies. Go Jackets.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Richard Sherman got in to Stanford... yeah, we’re real comparable.

And before you say “but we let in athletes with lower-caliber academic abilities all the time”, just remember that we can’t hide them in the Collejj Uv Communikaishuns (a la Sherman). The Ivan Allen School of Business is top 30 in the nation, so while they may not be working on differential equations, they ain’t necessarily breezing through either.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL. Seriously, Cheese. The Woe is GT act is getting old.

Up until recently, GT has been better at football than Stanford. Then all of a sudden, Stanford made a good hire at coach and turned the program around. Stanford can only recruit a certain number of kids a year, it's not like they're taking all the "smart" kids out of play for schools like GT. Plus, not every kid wants to travel to the otherside of the country to go to school.
Like there are no top notch recruits in Ca

Techster

Helluva Engineer
To everyone that's always like Stanford this, Stanford that, have you actually looked at the abundance of majors they offer? Here, let me help.
https://majors.stanford.edu/#filter=.ba,.bs,.joint-major-bas

This means you can go there and major in African Studies, American Studies, Archaeology, and Art History. We're only at "A".

Lord...why do people keeping bringing up "But Stanford has so many majors to hide their athletes!!!"

First of all, as has been documented MULTIPLE times, the challenges at GT and Stanford are different. BOTH challenges are equally difficult to work around. Here's what it boils down to:

GT: Easier acceptance requirements for SAs, but limited majors to "hide" SAs once they get into school. Also, limited majors to appeal to a larger pool of SAs.

Stanford: Probably the most difficult entrance requirements of schools that play P5 football. Once accepted, more majors to appeal to a broader SA population, and "easier" majors to "hid" SAs in.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, it's a different set of challenges for both schools. Stanford has a big road block on the front end, while GT's roadblock is in the back end.

At Stanford, you can't "hide" an SA if you can't get him into the house in the first place. At GT, you can get him into school, but if the kid can't hack the academic challenges required at GT, you're not keeping him in school.

Bottom line, BOTH schools are not going to be able to compete with the factories every year on the field and from a recruiting stand point. That's just how it is for elite academic schools. Right now, Stanford is dealing with their challenges a little better than we are. But, IMO, GT can very much do what Stanford is doing if not better one day. It's just going to take getting our staff more help, and possibly tweaking some things in terms of football philosophy. We'll get there guys...

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m working on that! The point is there is a systemic fundraising and communication problem(s) between the AA and the alumni. They are greatly underutilizing, and under-communicating with their best and largest resource. I’ve heard they don’t have access to the roll call database, but I have a hard believing that in this day in age they can’t get that information. The roll call names and years consecutive donation is public knowledge. That department needs an infusion of funding and talent that focuses on communication and crowdfunding from the alumni.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Stanford is almost a blue blood at this point. They recruit nationally and pull 5-star kids from places like Texas and Georgia. It isn't really a fair comparison. They also play in what has been a pretty terrible Pac-12 the past few years. The Pac-12 is starting to get respectable again with USC emerging from their sleep and Washington being good again. If Oregon gets back to where is was I'd like to see how good Stanford does every year. Look at their wins (and loss to San Diego State). They are ranked because of their name at this point as opposed to merit.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Richard Sherman got in to Stanford... yeah, we’re real comparable.

And before you say “but we let in athletes with lower-caliber academic abilities all the time”, just remember that we can’t hide them in the Collejj Uv Communikaishuns (a la Sherman). The Ivan Allen School of Business is top 30 in the nation, so while they may not be working on differential equations, they ain’t necessarily breezing through either.

Sherman isnt as dumb as you'd think. Inner city kid with a 4.1!!!!! GPA and was the first person in 20 years from his high school to get a scholarship there. When getting recruited by Pete Carrol, dude made him wait 2.5 hours till school was finished as he actually enjoyed classes. His on field person is different, but if you don't like it its not for academic reasons and those scores would get him in anywhere

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
BTW, I was at COFH this year... at one of the breaks, they announced all the cheerleaders and their majors, one by one. Mechanical Engineering.... Electrical Engineering.... Biomedical Engineering... with some Management sprinkled in. I saw many (dwag) heads explode in the stands during the announcement. You can't help but feel proud and special about our institute.

Jmonty71

Banned
To be fair... In the past, I've seen some basketball players that did not seem to be overly smart. Kenny Anderson, for one. I could be wrong, but he did not seem to be GT material.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t Louis Young come to Tech because he couldn’t qualify for Stanford admission?

Shhh...that would blow the "but Stanford can hide their SAs in easier majors narrative"

In all seriousness, it underscores the different challenges of GT vs Stanford that I've been talking about. Louis Young was a 4 star recruit that ended up in the NFL (and a GT grad btw), and had good grades in HS. Stanford admissions wouldn't accept him but GT did. Stanford football gets the shaft at the front door, GT gets the shaft for the duration of the SAs career at GT.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Sherman isnt as dumb as you'd think. Inner city kid with a 4.1!!!!! GPA and was the first person in 20 years from his high school to get a scholarship there. When getting recruited by Pete Carrol, dude made him wait 2.5 hours till school was finished as he actually enjoyed classes. His on field person is different, but if you don't like it its not for academic reasons and those scores would get him in anywhere

Then I guess Stanford ain’t that tough then. Not sure why we’re even making comparisons to them. The fact that there is a BA in “communications” is BS. How ‘bout that?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Ok..... Now, I didn't attend GT. Sorry, spent 6 years with Uncle Sams Misguided Children. But, why do people try to compare GT with other schools? When I was overseas, wearing my GT gear, people knew who GT was.
Not many people have earned a Silver Star. I’d say you did ok without attending GT