It's officially the offseason - GT vs Stanford - Round 12

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You compared them to Auburn, UGA, FSU, etc. That’s not the bulk of power 5 schools. They make perfect sense when you compare them to the Kentuckys, Indianas, Iowas, Colorados, Dukes, Washington States, Illinois, Boston Colleges, Kansases, and even Nebraskas of this world.

Mid to lower tier P5 schools would kill to have some of our built-in advantages.
We don't want those kids. We want the A listers, not the B/C listers, we're already getting them.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
We don't want those kids. We want the A listers, not the B/C listers, we're already getting them.

While I’m not discounting the importance of the number of stars a recruit has, that’s not everything. To use an academic analogy, there are plenty of kids who do very well on the SAT/ACT who flunk out at Tech. Why? Immaturity, time management, teachability, etc. The placement tests, as well as stars, are just indicators of success but not a guarantee. If I were a coach I would always choose a solid 3* who was coachable and a team player versus a cocky, give me the ball, 5*. But hey, I’m not a coach. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Where is the Ivan Allen School of Business?

GT offers a BS in Media, Literature and Communications from the School of the same moniker.

It's amazing how little Tech fans know about Tech's current offerings. And the ones who know the least are the quickest to roll out the academic excuse for poor recruiting.

You’re right, you got me. Thank you for the clarification. However, the fact remains that GT doesn’t have places to hide athletes like other schools. Even the easy majors ain’t easy, was my point. And clearly, 4&5 star guys who are also engineer-types must be damn near impossible to find. Especially down here in the public school systems in the South, cause we ain’t rolling any of them out on the field recently. Maybe one here or there, but not in droves like other schools are.

But keeping talking down to me, that type of tone seems to really be helping y’all in the sidewalk fan department...

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Even the easy majors ain’t easy, was my point.
Boots, this is the truth. Anyone who doesn't recognize that it's a hurdle has their head in the sand. I've heard that exact sentiment from Mark Packer, Danny Kannell, and other hosts on Sirius. It doesn't mean that we can't recruit better, we do need to cast a wider net and try to improve where we can.

Also, if the parents are involved the fact that we have better degrees than the competition should also help us at times. Although we see players every year that claim academics matter then choose a factory anyway.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This used to kill me, too, until I looked at the context and meaning of "academics matter." To a lot of these kids, just attending any college, any degree, checks this box. Many come from families where nobody went to college.
That's a very good point, and it's where our recruiting needs to pick up the slack.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think advertising of the school as a whole might help selling the academic pitch. Like it or not, the Georgia Tech brand isn't recognized as well outside of engineering companies. I posted this in another thread, but I work in the sciences and the name doesn't really have a lot of clout. I've met lots of people who hadn't even heard of the school before or thought it was a technical school because of the name. I'm sure there's a similar issue with business or other majors. It's like when you hear Chapel Hill most highschool kids will recognize the school as a top tier academic institution even though we can go head-to-head with them easily (outside of the liberal arts). I guarantee that immediate connection people make with the name helps UNC, Berkeley, Stanford, etc recruit academically focused kids nationally but we may have issues trying that approach with a kid in Texas or California.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think advertising of the school as a whole might help selling the academic pitch. Like it or not, the Georgia Tech brand isn't recognized as well outside of engineering companies. I posted this in another thread, but I work in the sciences and the name doesn't really have a lot of clout. I've met lots of people who hadn't even heard of the school before or thought it was a technical school because of the name. I'm sure there's a similar issue with business or other majors. It's like when you hear Chapel Hill most highschool kids will recognize the school as a top tier academic institution even though we can go head-to-head with them easily (outside of the liberal arts). I guarantee that immediate connection people make with the name helps UNC, Berkeley, Stanford, etc recruit academically focused kids nationally but we may have issues trying that approach with a kid in Texas or California.

I would think that name recognition would be most influenced by where someone lives. Undoubtedly, high school counselors and employers in the southeast and beyond are familiar with academics at Tech. When I decided I wanted to get an engineering degree, GT was at the top of my list. Currently ranked as the #4 engineering school in the country and one of the top 10 public universities. To your point, I did have someone from New York tell me they had visited GT’s northern campus in Blairsville. North Georgia Tech, a technical college, is located in Blairsville. [emoji52]

Regardless, we should rescind any offer to a recruit that says, “Blessed to receive an offer from Georgia Tech University.” If they don’t know the name, they probably aren’t coming here. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

I think we should constantly be looking to tweak our pitch. A few examples.

"Be your own bag man." I think this one is still relevant.

"College is a 40 year decision." Other schools have copied this. We need to add a little more context. "Some schools will tell you college is a 40 year decision. At Georgia Tech, 1 out of 3 graduates over the age of 30 is a millionaire [or whatever the number is - there is no reason to count millionaires of people who just recently graduated]. We don't think you should have to work until you are 65 years old. A Georgia Tech degree will enable you to be your own bag man, whether you make the NFL [or NBA] or not. It will enable you to live a very comfortable life and work on your own terms."

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know where you're located physically but it does carry weight in the greater NY area as well as the Boston area. I'm in finance/real estate/alternative investments and it's well known to be a great school. Not sure how we play in Texas or CA though.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we should constantly be looking to tweak our pitch. A few examples.

"Be your own bag man." I think this one is still relevant.

"College is a 40 year decision." Other schools have copied this. We need to add a little more context. "Some schools will tell you college is a 40 year decision. At Georgia Tech, 1 out of 3 graduates over the age of 30 is a millionaire [or whatever the number is - there is no reason to count millionaires of people who just recently graduated]. We don't think you should have to work until you are 65 years old. A Georgia Tech degree will enable you to be your own bag man, whether you make the NFL [or NBA] or not. It will enable you to live a very comfortable life and work on your own terms."
I would tweak the last part because the ALL think they are going pro in sports: "a GT degree will help you understand/negotiate contracts better and then to invest/manage your pro sports income and not get taken by all the greedy agents/gm's out there..."

Deleted member 2897

I would tweak the last part because the ALL think they are going pro in sports: "a GT degree will help you understand/negotiate contracts better and then to invest/manage your pro sports income and not get taken by all the greedy agents/gm's out there..."

That's a good point. If we learned anything from the FBI investigation into college basketball or even our own issues with Mr. No Name, its that very very few people will ever have your best interests in mind. The world is full of people who will look to take advantage of you given even the smallest opportunity.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don't know where you're located physically but it does carry weight in the greater NY area as well as the Boston area. I'm in finance/real estate/alternative investments and it's well known to be a great school. Not sure how we play in Texas or CA though.
From the left coast my counselor when told I wanted to be an Engineer said Cal Tech, Harvey Mudd, MIT, Cal, GT, RPI and Stanford. GT has a worldwide reputation in Engineering & good one even on The Farm at Leland Stanford Jr University. Our distaste for things Stanford is a one way street.