It's officially the offseason - GT vs Stanford - Round 12

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Shhh...that would blow the "but Stanford can hide their SAs in easier majors narrative"

In all seriousness, it underscores the different challenges of GT vs Stanford that I've been talking about. Louis Young was a 4 star recruit that ended up in the NFL (and a GT grad btw), and had good grades in HS. Stanford admissions wouldn't accept him but GT did. Stanford football gets the shaft at the front door, GT gets the shaft for the duration of the SAs career at GT.
Stanford also accepted Kevin Hogan who had a 3.1 GPA in high school, and Barry Sanders Jr who had a 3.3 GPA while denying Jontrey Tillman who had a 4.0 GPA a week before signing day. There is no consistency to any of their admissions policies. They certainly pick and choose who their tough policies apply to.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Richard Sherman got in to Stanford... yeah, we’re real comparable.

And before you say “but we let in athletes with lower-caliber academic abilities all the time”, just remember that we can’t hide them in the Collejj Uv Communikaishuns (a la Sherman). The Ivan Allen School of Business is top 30 in the nation, so while they may not be working on differential equations, they ain’t necessarily breezing through either.

Richard Sherman had a very high GPA in high school. He would have easily been accepted at GT and clearly has the brainpower to get a management degree.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Shhh...that would blow the "but Stanford can hide their SAs in easier majors narrative"

In all seriousness, it underscores the different challenges of GT vs Stanford that I've been talking about. Louis Young was a 4 star recruit that ended up in the NFL (and a GT grad btw), and had good grades in HS. Stanford admissions wouldn't accept him but GT did. Stanford football gets the shaft at the front door, GT gets the shaft for the duration of the SAs career at GT.
Maybe Stanford really didn't want him and that whole story came from Lou for obvious reasons.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe Stanford really didn't want him and that whole story came from Lou for obvious reasons.

issue is (especially as of late) Stanford has had the highest scholarship acceptance rate the last 8 years. Their 2019 class has 35 scholarships offered and something like 20 of them have already accepted. I know if anyone here was offered a scholarship to Stanford, they wouldn't turn it down. Nor would most athletes unless they got an offer from their dream school. Its why they offer a lot of scholarships late in the game if their high targets miss out, as the #2 or #3 is likely waiting on the higher priorities decision so they can make theirs.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
ESPN talking head just called Nebraska the hardest place to recruit in the country. LOL.

Did u know that Nebraska (the school) is actually located in Nebraska (the state). Have you ever been to that part of the world?;) I don't know how you could get a kid from the south or west coast to attend school there.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a few:

1. We are in a Power 5 conference. That gives us an enormous advantage over 60% of FBS teams.

2. We are located in Atlanta. The talent-rich center of a talent-rich State in a talent-rich region. Atlanta also happens to be a Mecca a large subset of the college football playing demographic.

3. We play marquee opponents. We regularly play Clemson, Miami, Georgia, and Virginia Tech. Those games are often featured in prime time.

4. We offer a world class education that few competitors in our area can offer. SA’s are given every resource needed to succeed.

5. We have a history of putting great players in the pros.

Georgia Tech is a helluva product. We are getting beat on the trail by guys selling inferior products. The school is not the problem.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To sell a product, it helps if your selling points are attractive to your targets.
1. We are in a P5 conference. How does that help us against other P5 schools? I sure hope we’re not targeting non-P5 recruits.
2. We are in Atlanta. So what? Every factory school in the country recruits Atlanta especially SEC and ACC factories who are in the region as well. This is no advantage. Starting left guard‘s for UGA and Auburn are both Atlanta products, I guess they should’ve been shoe-ins for GT being from Atlanta. Not.
3. We play marquee opponents. How does that help us recruit against those marquee opponents? Remember, we’re trying to attract four and five star players, not twos and threes just happy to be playing against fours and fives.
4. We offer a world-class education. How does that help us get the blue chips 95% of which don’t give hang about education?
5. We put players in the pros. Not nearly as many as the factories that we are trying to steal recruits from.

We are behind the eight ball when it comes to recruiting blue-chip college football players. There’s no way to get around it. Maybe if we work harder and smarter and double our staff it might help a bit.

dfwjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
The athletic department is a bolt on to the school. I would like for them to do well but the school doing well is more important. It has a great rep for what it does. 95% of the hirers of graduates don't say "oh god I wish I got a Stanford grad" so **** them. They are irrelevant to us.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That’s news to me. I thought they made exceptions for anybody they wanted.

Even if what you said is true, they beat us on an academic prestige factor tenfold. Any and all true Renaissance men, studs on the field and studs in the classroom, well prefer them over us and it’s not even close. They even have a more prestigious and higher ranked engineering department. How about them apples?
when Harbaugh was there they did. I remember he got in hot water back in Michigan by pointing out, when criticized, that his alma mater did the same thing. Not to get in somebody else's battle but Stanford has course offerings that dwarf anything GT can do. It is a university in the truest sense.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To sell a product, it helps if your selling points are attractive to your targets.
1. We are in a P5 conference. How does that help us against other P5 schools? I sure hope we’re not targeting non-P5 recruits.
2. We are in Atlanta. So what? Every factory school in the country recruits Atlanta especially SEC and ACC factories who are in the region as well. This is no advantage. Starting left guard‘s for UGA and Auburn are both Atlanta products, I guess they should’ve been shoe-ins for GT being from Atlanta. Not.
3. We play marquee opponents. How does that help us recruit against those marquee opponents? Remember, we’re trying to attract four and five star players, not twos and threes just happy to be playing against fours and fives.
4. We offer a world-class education. How does that help us get the blue chips 95% of which don’t give hang about education?
5. We put players in the pros. Not nearly as many as the factories that we are trying to steal recruits from.

We are behind the eight ball when it comes to recruiting blue-chip college football players. There’s no way to get around it. Maybe if we work harder and smarter and double our staff it might help a bit.

You implied we were the most difficult school to recruit to by rolling your eyes at someone saying Nebraska was the most difficult to recruit to. I gave you multiple reasons that’s not true.

Tech might not be as easy to recruit to as UGA or Auburn, but it sure is hell isn’t the hardest in FBS or P5 football despite what the whiners on this board say to justify weak recruiting.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I have an engineering degree from GT and I never considered Stanford. Why? Well, I can’t remember the ranking difference at the time but right now Stanford is #2 and GT is #4. Insignificant to me. Also, GT has a great reputation to employers in the southeast, which is where I planned on living and working. Anyway, we shouldn’t lose many recruits to Stanford from the southeast unless they just want to move out to California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and you don't run a 4.4

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You implied we were the most difficult school to recruit to by rolling your eyes at someone saying Nebraska was the most difficult to recruit to. I gave you multiple reasons that’s not true.

Tech might not be as easy to recruit to as UGA or Auburn, but it sure is hell isn’t the hardest in FBS or P5 football despite what the whiners on this board say to justify weak recruiting.
And I exposed those “reasons” as weak. Some don’t apply to the kids we covet and some don’t even make sense.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And I exposed those “reasons” as weak. Some don’t apply to the kids we covet and some don’t even make sense.

You compared them to Auburn, UGA, FSU, etc. That’s not the bulk of power 5 schools. They make perfect sense when you compare them to the Kentuckys, Indianas, Iowas, Colorados, Dukes, Washington States, Illinois, Boston Colleges, Kansases, and even Nebraskas of this world.

Mid to lower tier P5 schools would kill to have some of our built-in advantages.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Richard Sherman got in to Stanford... yeah, we’re real comparable.

And before you say “but we let in athletes with lower-caliber academic abilities all the time”, just remember that we can’t hide them in the Collejj Uv Communikaishuns (a la Sherman). The Ivan Allen School of Business is top 30 in the nation, so while they may not be working on differential equations, they ain’t necessarily breezing through either.

Where is the Ivan Allen School of Business?

GT offers a BS in Media, Literature and Communications from the School of the same moniker.

It's amazing how little Tech fans know about Tech's current offerings. And the ones who know the least are the quickest to roll out the academic excuse for poor recruiting.

Last edited:

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Where is the Ivan Allen School of Business?

GT offers a BS in Media, Literature and Communications from the School of the same moniker.

It's amazing how little Tech fans know about Tech's current offerings. And the ones who know the least are the quickest to roll out the academic excuse for poor recruiting.
My wife has that degree