It is utterly amazing...

Mr. Keen

Banned
That we the "fans" allow for an unbalanced schedule in college football.

I can live with (in general - not GT specific):
  • All the illegal payments to recruits.
  • The fact the Head Coach makes 10x $$$ what the governor makes.
  • Navy's head coach is the highest paid Fed. Govt. employee in the USA.
  • Most all the players take remedial classes.
  • The student sections are half empty across the country.
But, the fact that DUKE plays Wake Forest every year as their "built-in" cross-over game as compared to GT playing Clemson - renders the entire season 100% completely unfair and phenomenally stupid!!!

What is even more sad is that a vast majority of Tech fans would like to keep things this way (play Clemson every year) rather than have a true rotational schedule where each team (based on the previous year's record) plays 1 "good team" and 1 "bad team" from the other division. This can be done - not difficult.

This year Virginia plays (played) FSU and Louisville from the Atlantic while Duke plays Syracuse and Wake Forest. This makes Duke's schedule roughly 2 billion times less difficult than Virginia's. Yet nothing is EVER mentioned about this!?!?!?!?! Throw in the fact Duke played 4 high school teams to start the season and "strategically" had an "open date" before the games against the 2 teams they lost to last season (Tech & Pitt). Talk about something so unbelievable unfair and stupid - it defies description!

There are so many things unfair and corrupt about college football that we (the fans) can't change. The unbalanced schedule is one that we could change... but, we don't. That is because we (the fans) are a bunch of lazy sacks of excrement!

CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
That's just football. Scheduling is part of the deal. Listen to the SEC West and what they are saying about the "easy" schedule the East has. A few years ago it was the other way around.

I want to play Clemson every year rather than another creampuff. Beat them a and we get more respect.

thwuga

Georgia Tech Fan
One of the reasons Tech would rather keep Clemson is of our higher expectations for our team than those of Duke's fans. The fact is that Duke could go undefeated with their schedule and not get into the playoff. It would be pretty much impossible for us to go undefeated with our schedule and be excluded.

If you want to talk about convenient bye weeks, I get it. But its the ACC. They'll always get preferential treatment. But you can't complain about the cross-divisional rivals when EVERYONE wanted them when the divisions were created. Guess what - that means that someone is going to get Wake. And if we drew it up back them again, we'd probably give them Wake again because they were irrelevant.

I think the Power 5 should require an 8-team conference schedule and only be allowed to play one team outside of the Power 5 per year. That would solve a lot of problems real fast, because there are only so many cupcakes anyone can schedule. It would also get rid of this notion in college football that if you're not in the SEC and you lose a game, your season is over.

Animal02

Banned
I think there should be a standard rotation through the opposing division. Screw this "cross rivalry" crap. It is not good for the ACC WRT getting into the playoff. You have FSU-Miami every year and Tech-Clemson. Rotate through the opposite division so that every player gets to play @ each ACC school within a 4 year period.

pauley_GT

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't understand why people are always trying to turn college ball into an nfl like system. If this ever happens people will begin to loose interest. This refers to paying players also.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
But, the fact that DUKE plays Wake Forest every year as their "built-in" cross-over game as compared to GT playing Clemson - renders the entire season 100% completely unfair and phenomenally stupid!!!
All of us need to accept the fact that we lost to Duke. My opinion is that we lost any reason to complain about Duke's SOS when they beat us.

Also, I'm sure all the Atlantic coast team fans are complaining the need to play FSU/Clemson every year. There used to be a period where all the strongest ACC teams were on the Coastal side.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I see where the OP is coming from and I agree to an extent. It be a lot easier to swallow if teams were punished for weak schedules and rewarded for difficult ones. SoS should have an impact in the standings, but even that metric is highly subjective.

We could go a long way in creating fairness by changing the order of the list of factors that determine divisional champs. Intra-divisional record should be first. Head to head should be second, overall ACC record, third, and maybe national ranking fourth.

Let's see how the thing plays out before raining butt hurt down from on high. Duke still has to play VT and UNC, let's say they lose one of those and tie us with two Coastal losses. They beat us, who would begrudge them the Coastal then? They could very easily lose both.

What is even more sad is that a vast majority of Tech fans would like to keep things this way (play Clemson every year) rather than have a true rotational schedule where each team (based on the previous year's record) plays 1 "good team" and 1 "bad team" from the other division. This can be done - not difficult.

This year Virginia plays (played) FSU and Louisville from the Atlantic while Duke plays Syracuse and Wake Forest. This makes Duke's schedule roughly 2 billion times less difficult than Virginia's. Yet nothing is EVER mentioned about this!?!?!?!?! Throw in the fact Duke played 4 high school teams to start the season and "strategically" had an "open date" before the games against the 2 teams they lost to last season (Tech & Pitt). Talk about something so unbelievable unfair and stupid - it defies description!

There are so many things unfair and corrupt about college football that we (the fans) can't change. The unbalanced schedule is one that we could change... but, we don't. That is because we (the fans) are a bunch of lazy sacks of excrement!

CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!
Not to worry, Syracuse and Wake are going take Duke out, and your blood pressure will return to normal.

Mr. Keen

Banned
Of course - division record should be the first tie-breaker - NOT head-to-head - considering their is just one game and often the winner is the home team.

Obviously, Duke beat Tech in Atlanta - that is because they had 40 weeks to prepare - this is based on the fact they didn't show up for their first 5 games of the season (even the cream-puff wins were less than impressive) - including a poor showing vs. Miami. Then Duke had a bye week before us. Meanwhile Tech just came off an emotional victory on Sat. Nt. vs. Miami.

For me - I would rather win the ACC Coastal (a legitimate goal every year) than play Clemson / than beat UGA. Not saying I don't want Tech to beat Clemson or UGA - but, I would rather win the Coastal (fair and square). The fact that anyone disagrees with this as the paramount objective every year is filled with deep-southern roots. Why even bother caring about beating UGA when every single year for the past 3 billion years they have severely out-recruited Tech.

Best bet is to have one 14-team league - and play 12 games vs. the remaining 13 teams - and rotate the one team missing every 13 years. The top 2 finishers play in #1's stadium for the ACC Championship. I would vote for this in a heart-beat. By the way - if you want Tech to play 8 games vs. the ACC and play 3 home-of-the-blinders and 1 UGA (and lose) - be my guest!!! Based on the fact approximately 13,000 fans show up for Wofford and the fact 1/2 of Bobby Dodd are Bulldog fans when Tech plays UGA are 2 reasons for my position.

But, who cares - nothing is going to change... college football is "UNFAIR" (not to re-mention CORRUPT) across the board..............................

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The OP has a point. Every year going forward we have Clemson, Miami has FSU, and UVA has Louisville. Meanwhile Duke and VT are playing BC and Wake. It is certainly an advantage. I think most of these issues are caused by having a 14 team conference playing an 8 game conference schedule though. To me you are barely even a conference when you do that. Duke should be playing Clemson and FSU more often. We should be playing FSU more often as well. If Duke was playing Clemson or FSU every other year, no one would really worry about the permanent rivals. Going 4 years without playing either is a bit ridiculous.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The AD's job is to bring in revenue over winning national titles. To bring in revenue, you need to fill the seats, and that ain't gonna happen against Wake. The AD's are just performing to their metrics.

Animal02

Banned
The AD's job is to bring in revenue over winning national titles. To bring in revenue, you need to fill the seats, and that ain't gonna happen against Wake. The AD's are just performing to their metrics.

Nope......the added few seats sold don't mean anything. Revenue from royalties etc will be far greater if the team is chasing the NC rather than playing clemp every year.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow

CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!
This is much less of an issue if we would just beat Duke.