It is time for a coaching change

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Our guy is good for six or seven wins, only if we have a FCS and a Tulane on the schedule. Thank the Lord we skipped a beatdown from Central Florida. Not only do we lose to Virginia, but we have to show our *** by talking trash before the game. 40 points to Virginia. 40. let that sink in. FORTY POINTS. Looking forward to a colonoscopy from Cutcliffe. Let's hear from the contingent that had us winning the Coastal. Crickets. I thought so.
Dumb

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Defense gave up what, 30+ points again?

Agreed. Time for a coaching change. Defensive side of the ball maybe?

Oh, and our special teams....ouch. Throw that on the head coach.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Your right. We should just accept being subpar. How stupid this is what I am talking about always coming up with excuses and settling for crap. What is wrong with this fan base. Everyone should be sick of this. How do you know Ricky June is not 2.0. He makes circus catches all the time. Tech has not had a QB since Godsey.
I didn't say I was content with the current season, but we should easily be 7-1 right now. If this trend continues then yes, show him the door, but stop acting like we' re a new coach away from being 10-2 annually. That's not happening and it's naive to think so.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Time for a change? No.
I hope Paul is humbled and embarrassed of the result today though. He really ran his mouth about playing 3-4 teams then he gets beat. Bronco is 3-1 vs Paul.
This. Paul coached like he was personally trying to stick it to Bronco. It's the same **** that happens when Cutcliff says something and PJ gets personal.

Reactions: Eli

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
If you're going to call for a coaching change with a lot of teams already hunting you need to have a name you know 100% you can get or you end up with joey mc smoo and 3 years of wasted time. I don't think it's time for a head coaching change, but we need a new oline coach and a damn special teams coach. Also I think Paul might need to start using a play sheet we have too many good plays that never get used.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
It kills me. I love the offense but PJ has too many flaws in recruiting and personnel. Recruiing is o line. I just can't seem to figure out why we can' at least have depth a long the offensive line. Offensive linemen are your smartest players. Personnel is we rotate a backs but don't do it anyway to to gain mismatches. Also AT WR why can we not get kids like Jalen Camp the ball more than twice a season. I just think there are more ways to get players the ball. Yeah I know I'm not a coach and I don' see the kids practice everyday. But coaches are wrong even the great PJ.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't say I was content with the current season, but we should easily be 7-1 right now. If this trend continues then yes, show him the door, but stop acting like we' re a new coach away from being 10-2 annually. That's not happening and it's naive to think so.
Never said we would be 10-2. Year after year

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Our guy is good for six or seven wins, only if we have a FCS and a Tulane on the schedule. Thank the Lord we skipped a beatdown from Central Florida. Not only do we lose to Virginia, but we have to show our *** by talking trash before the game. 40 points to Virginia. 40. let that sink in. FORTY POINTS. Looking forward to a colonoscopy from Cutcliffe. Let's hear from the contingent that had us winning the Coastal. Crickets. I thought so.

I understand your frustration but I think you are overreacting a bit. The primary issues, as I see them are:

1) Recruiting of linemen both offense and defense must improve
2) Special teams in all phases with the possible exception of punting are very poor especially the return teams
3) Marshall is perceived as being ineffective and gun shy. Given the lack of protection, it is understandable. That said, it may be time to see what if anything LJ and JJ are capable of doing. I appreciate his heart and the way his teammates respond to him.
4) Our defensive backs are outclassed against good receivers. That said, the main problem is an utter lack of creativity in blitzes and little pressure from our defensive line.
5) In 2014 teams that tried to crowd the line of scrimmage as Virginia did so often were badly burned by the Smelter/Waller combination. We lack playmakers on the outside with the notable exception of Ricky
6) Most teams have taken away the pitch resulting in few touches for the A backs. Something has to be done about this. Our A backs are capable of making big plays on both pass and run plays but not when forced to go east/west by run blitzing safeties and outside linebackers who are doing this with impunity knowing that we cannot get separation on pass plays.
7) A team that loses to Clemson and Miami is one thing but a team that loses to UVA, and Tennessee is something else again. The plain fact of the matter is that we are, at best right now a middling ACC team. To lose to a team like UVA (no offense Bronco but getting your clocked cleaned by BC and Pitt pretty much tells the tale) should be regarded as a wake up call to PJ that he desperately needs better players.
8) The most disappointing part about this season has been the offensive line. I thought they would be dominant and it is apparent they are just average. Given the injury issues and the people leaving maybe it is understandable but it was thought that they would be the best unit in quite some time. With all the other problems we needed the line to be great.
9) We really miss Brant and AJ today. I have to admit (as a former critic) that Mitchell has really improved over what we saw last year.
10) Benson plays very hard and is a bright spot but often he has to work so hard because of the constant gap blitzing and going up against 7 and 8 man lines with linebackers and safeties up so fast.
11) People complain about the play calling but if your opponent has 8 people in the box with a safety or linebacker shooting a gap there are not many plays that will work if receivers are not getting quick separation.
12) Going to a bowl should be the least of concerns facing this team. They need to get better, a lot better, in all three phases of the game because Duke, Virginia Tech and UGA promise to be a tough row to hoe.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
UVA had 19 dropped passes today too. Remember that. Defense wasn’t good. Offense wasn’t good for large stretches. Special teams is god awful. Score more than 25 in the rain you should win right?

Mostly a team loss. We still beat the pups.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I understand your frustration but I think you are overreacting a bit. The primary issues, as I see them are:

1) Recruiting of linemen both offense and defense must improve
2) Special teams in all phases with the possible exception of punting are very poor especially the return teams
3) Marshall is perceived as being ineffective and gun shy. Given the lack of protection, it is understandable. That said, it may be time to see what if anything LJ and JJ are capable of doing. I appreciate his heart and the way his teammates respond to him.
4) Our defensive backs are outclassed against good receivers. That said, the main problem is an utter lack of creativity in blitzes and little pressure from our defensive line.
5) In 2014 teams that tried to crowd the line of scrimmage as Virginia did so often were badly burned by the Smelter/Waller combination. We lack playmakers on the outside with the notable exception of Ricky
6) Most teams have taken away the pitch resulting in few touches for the A backs. Something has to be done about this. Our A backs are capable of making big plays on both pass and run plays but not when forced to go east/west by run blitzing safeties and outside linebackers who are doing this with impunity knowing that we cannot get separation on pass plays.
7) A team that loses to Clemson and Miami is one thing but a team that loses to UVA, and Tennessee is something else again. The plain fact of the matter is that we are, at best right now a middling ACC team. To lose to a team like UVA (no offense Bronco but getting your clocked cleaned by BC and Pitt pretty much tells the tale) should be regarded as a wake up call to PJ that he desperately needs better players.
8) The most disappointing part about this season has been the offensive line. I thought they would be dominant and it is apparent they are just average. Given the injury issues and the people leaving maybe it is understandable but it was thought that they would be the best unit in quite some time. With all the other problems we needed the line to be great.
9) We really miss Brant and AJ today. I have to admit (as a former critic) that Mitchell has really improved over what we saw last year.
10) Benson plays very hard and is a bright spot but often he has to work so hard because of the constant gap blitzing and going up against 7 and 8 man lines with linebackers and safeties up so fast.
11) People complain about the play calling but if your opponent has 8 people in the box with a safety or linebacker shooting a gap there are not many plays that will work if receivers are not getting quick separation.
12) Going to a bowl should be the least of concerns facing this team. They need to get better, a lot better, in all three phases of the game because Duke, Virginia Tech and UGA promise to be a tough row to hoe.

Here's the problem. Someone who is 60 and been at a place 10 years isn't going to change anything. Realistically it's so much that needs to be done it will never happen. We have been through three d coordinators a special teams coach and added another o line coach. We are still talking about the same problems.

Milwaukee

Banned
It’s been 10 years. Still we lose to Teams we should beat. And we lose games we have won. I’m sick of this mediocrity that is put on the field every week. But for some reason this fan base is happy and content with being a 6-6 7-5 team. With the once occasionally 9-10 win season. I’ll take a spread with 4 wideouts any day. I’d love to see Calvin Johnson 2.0. Plus I love to see that little number next to GT on the screen. PJ has been here 10 years. 3-5 and I am going to say 4 wins this year. Again another year without a bowl.
And on Nov. 28 I hope there is a huge lightning storm over ATL to cancel that game.
It is time for PJ to go

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's the problem. Someone who is 60 and been at a place 10 years isn't going to change anything. Realistically it's so much that needs to be done it will never happen. We have been through three d coordinators a special teams coach and added another o line coach. We are still talking about the same problems.
Your gonna make people mad. They are happy losing.

Milwaukee

Banned
Literally, every other team runs this same offense. How are we going to go up against them we're running the same thing they are except they have better guys running it? Also, Calvin Johnson 2.0 is not coming to Tech in this age of college football.

Who wouldn't love to see Calvin 2.0? Dumb post. Not yours, his.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be on ok with a coaching change if Georgia Tech is ready to commit money everywhere else too. Redo our locker room, our weightlifting facilities, S&C program, shadow staff, recruiting assistants, increase advertising for both the school and the team nationally, and write a blank check for assistants. No coach is going to come in and do better with the same resources and magically make us compete. Firing Paul Johnson and bringing in Nick Saban is like putting a brand new engine in your car when your frame is rusted through and the tires are dry rotted. You want to bring in a new coach? I'm on board if it's part of a complete package overhaul of how we do things here.

Status
Not open for further replies.