Is This year ours in the ACC?

I have been on several threads on other places and continue to come to a conclusion.
First let me say that everything hinges on who is the QB and how does he play. MJ, TM, I am certain CPJ will make the right choice. Second, we return a lot of offensive firepower and I see our Defense being even better. If our Freshman kickers live up to potential then next year may be a special year.
Why you ask? because our competition will be going through transition.
1. Tennessee. They have to replace their entire offense. Their Defense is not that great and have not played us yet.
2. Clemson. They have to replace their entire offense.
3. UNC they have to replace their entire offense
4. VT. They have to replace their entire offense
5. Miami. They have to replace their entire offense.
6. Pitt. They have to replace a lot of their offense, QB, RB WR
Are you beginning to see a trend here. We have a lot more coming back that what would be our biggest competition. As for UGA, I think we have KSs number.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorta looks like the determining factor will be who is better at replacing their QB in all the games you mentioned. AFAIK, we are the only team that has a qb coming back that won a tough game in a hostile environment like MJ did at VT last year. He didn't look polished in that game, but he did enough for us to take advantage of VT's mistakes and win the game. If he can play well against UT, and we win the game, then he will have the team's confidence. The schedule then set's up fairly nicely for the next four games with UNC and Pitt both bringing new qb's to Atl.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sorta looks like the determining factor will be who is better at replacing their QB in all the games you mentioned. AFAIK, we are the only team that has a qb coming back that won a tough game in a hostile environment like MJ did at VT last year. He didn't look polished in that game, but he did enough for us to take advantage of VT's mistakes and win the game. If he can play well against UT, and we win the game, then he will have the team's confidence. The schedule then set's up fairly nicely for the next four games with UNC and Pitt both bringing new qb's to Atl.
I hope MJ is working on throwing.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
MJ is definitely working on throwing but my hope is that teams necessarily become so focused on stopping the run (midline etc) that our receivers will more often be wide open (2nd Kansas game style). I would bet that we will have fewer big /dazzling plays from the QB position but more unstoppable "death marches" as well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Could be. I also think we have fewer question marks on O then our opponents in the division. Problem = question marks can provide opportunities for players who turn out to be better or as good as the ones they replace. We don't know how that's going to turn out and it isn't as if MJ is an absolute sure bet, though I'm not too worried on that score.

I think the real question, as usual, is how well we'll play on D. We have two big holes to fill there with PJ and Gamble graduating and we still need to up the level of our execution. There I think some of the teams listed above - Clemson, VT - will have stout Ds no matter what. If we can get decent over there, we could see a great year. Oh, the suspense!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Could be. I also think we have fewer question marks on O then our opponents in the division. Problem = question marks can provide opportunities for players who turn out to be better or as good as the ones they replace. We don't know how that's going to turn out and it isn't as if MJ is an absolute sure bet, though I'm not too worried on that score.

I think the real question, as usual, is how well we'll play on D. We have two big holes to fill there with PJ and Gamble graduating and we still need to up the level of our execution. There I think some of the teams listed above - Clemson, VT - will have stout Ds no matter what. If we can get decent over there, we could see a great year. Oh, the suspense!

Even if returning a starter, a former backup can still come out of nowhere to shine. Having returning starters helps set your "floor" for those positions, so you generally know what you'll get from that spot at worst.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I have been on several threads on other places and continue to come to a conclusion.
First let me say that everything hinges on who is the QB and how does he play. MJ, TM, I am certain CPJ will make the right choice. Second, we return a lot of offensive firepower and I see our Defense being even better. If our Freshman kickers live up to potential then next year may be a special year.
1. Tennessee. They have to replace their entire offense. Their Defense is not that great and have not played us yet.
Are you beginning to see a trend here. We have a lot more coming back that what would be our biggest competition. As for UGA, I think we have KSs number.
Tennessee's only lost three players on Defense Derek Barnett,Jaylen Reaves Maybin and Cam Sutton. The players on their defensive line who were out with injuries in 2016,Shy Tuttle and Kahlil McKinzie, will be back. The defense will be better in 2017 but will it be better in Game One? That is the question. I think GT goes to the ACCCG against FSU which will make this a great season on the Flats.:cool:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Again this year, much depends on our D. Our O should be fine but likely not 2009 or 2014 great.

I bet on our D turning a page last year because of talent. But, @33jacket was right that no change in scheme still trumped any improvement on D talent.

For the sake of not repeating past discussions, it's possible that Roof has improved our talent each year but that we still have some of the worst talent in FBS as @PBR549 offers as the explanation why Roof's brilliant scheming has produced below average results.

Nevertheless, I trust the reports and off handed comments from CPJ that suggest we're trying something new on D this year. I agree that we can't expect different results on D without such a move. With it, we could have a special year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If we don't get the DT position stabilized it will be a huge stretch to see us winning bigtime and that's ASSUMING all the other questionable pieces (QB, LB, injuries, etc ) work out .

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Again this year, much depends on our D. Our O should be fine but likely not 2009 or 2014 great.

I bet on our D turning a page last year because of talent. But, @33jacket was right that no change in scheme still trumped any improvement on D talent.

For the sake of not repeating past discussions, it's possible that Roof has improved our talent each year but that we still have some of the worst talent in FBS as @PBR549 offers as the explanation why Roof's brilliant scheming has produced below average results.

Nevertheless, I trust the reports and off handed comments from CPJ that suggest we're trying something new on D this year. I agree that we can't expect different results on D without such a move. With it, we could have a special year.
Any scheme change will be determined by the ability of our players.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I will be amazed if we take 5 of 7 from UM, VT, UNC, CLEMSON, PITT, UVA, and Duke.
expect-the-best-plan-for-the-worst-and-prepare-to-be-surprised-quote-1.jpg

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know what you mean when you say "replace their entire offense". Zero returning starters on offense? Zero returning skill players? What?

I don't know what you mean when you say "replace their entire offense". Zero returning starters on offense? Zero returning skill players? What?
Tennessee, lost all their running backs, quarterback and wide receivers. The same for Clemson, UNC, VT, most of Miami, and Pitt. All these teams will have to replace their QBs.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow

They each lost games last year which means there is a blueprint for defending their offense. So, they are having to install new offenses that don't have a blueprint for defending them.