Is this really an illegal block

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Looks illegal to me. Ball was outside the tackle box so below the waist blocks have to come from front even for linemen which that wasn't. Defender was clearly running parallel to the line well before the block was made, so it wasn't just turning at the last moment, and the block came from the side of him.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Dukes’s defense looks well coached against the triple option. Hope it’s just the talent gap that is the problem for Army
If TM is passing well we will burn them imo. They are going all out to stop the run. If we can stop their D line from getting penetration some counter plays should work nicely as well. They also better hope we don’t get the safety, MLB and OLB sealed off on rocket tosses because we will be gone for the races if we do with how they stack so much inside.

Milwaukee

Banned
This was just called in the WKU UW game and the announcers said that NOBODY is allowed to block below the waist outside of the tackle box any longer, under any circumstances. I'm confused.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Are we overlooking that this new rule may kill us this year? That we may end up 2nd and long a lot this year because of this???

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The rules continue to change that affect the run game but not passing. This is making our offense more difficult to stay competitive. The rules that seem to allow more OL holding make it even more difficult. It was interesting to watch Army go to the shotgun last night against Duke and they had some success passing.

Deleted member 2897

Looks illegal to me. Ball was outside the tackle box so below the waist blocks have to come from front even for linemen which that wasn't. Defender was clearly running parallel to the line well before the block was made, so it wasn't just turning at the last moment, and the block came from the side of him.

To be outside of 10-2, you’d have to argue the defender was facing the sideline - ie, he gets hit from 9am - sideways. There’s simply no reason that a defender should be facing the sideline on that play. When you’re taking an angle, you’re always watching the ball carrier as you converge, meaning their is an angle. Maybe it’s 9:55am and it’s illegal, but I still hate Refs.

If you hit pause at the time of the tackle, it looks like it’s 9am, directly from the side. So you have to ask yourself why in the hell as a defender you’d pivot and start to turn away from the guy blocking you. That’s dangerous. It reminds me of all the Clemson DL that hold our OL all the time and then they get cut blocked and cry about a chop block. It’s dangerous to play that way.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
At the speed of the game and in the heat of chaos the refs are likely to call or not call this penalty a lot. This is a disaster for refs to be consistent. It will likely hurt our O.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The rules continue to change that affect the run game but not passing. This is making our offense more difficult to stay competitive. The rules that seem to allow more OL holding make it even more difficult. It was interesting to watch Army go to the shotgun last night against Duke and they had some success passing.
Interesting points.

Since plass blocking/holding for 4 seconds is legal perhaps we would be allowed to run block hold for 1 second.

If u think this cut block will not be called on big plays in the uga game, u r a dreamer .

This could be a big problem.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
To be outside of 10-2, you’d have to argue the defender was facing the sideline - ie, he gets hit from 9am - sideways. There’s simply no reason that a defender should be facing the sideline on that play.

He's facing the sidelines because he's sprinting towards the edge where the ball is going. He didn't just turn away from the blocker. He was already facing the sidelines a good deal before the block ever came.

The announcer were staing it was legal but now illegal, but this was within 5 yards of the LOS

it sure as hell should be illegal. That's cheap to come flying in and hit some kid's knees like that. ****ing bush league. I'm sure that wasn't the intent but regardless - that's cheap-shot football.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
it sure as hell should be illegal. That's cheap to come flying in and hit some kid's knees like that. ****ing bush league. I'm sure that wasn't the intent but regardless - that's cheap-shot football.
What are you talking about? That wasn’t dirty at all imo and the guy saw it coming, not like he blind sided him with it.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Whether or not the block was legal shouldn't be the question. The question should be if the rules should be changed so that it is illegal. In my opinion it should be. Lineman dont need to dive at anyone's knees passed the line of scrimmage. It just looks bad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

He's facing the sidelines because he's sprinting towards the edge where the ball is going. He didn't just turn away from the blocker. He was already facing the sidelines a good deal before the block ever came.

Yea, shame on him for taking his eyes off the ball. But if someone’s silly and does that, you can’t cut him.

Deleted member 2897

Do you live life without a neck or something?

No, it’s just basic defense. Never turn your eyes and upper body off a player when running an angle. If the player turns it up field you have no chance.

What are you talking about? That wasn’t dirty at all imo and the guy saw it coming, not like he blind sided him with it.

Diving at knees IS dirty and needs to be banned. Why not just hit him up high? This choppy bull**** might be necessary for smaller schools like Navy but we're P5 and have P5 guys. They don't need to be diving at knees.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Diving at knees IS dirty and needs to be banned. Why not just hit him up high? This choppy bull**** might be necessary for smaller schools like Navy but we're P5 and have P5 guys. They don't need to be diving at knees.

In the video of the play that is being discussed, the OL does not "dive at knees" he makes contact with the hip(or maybe very upper thigh). It is below the belly, but it isn't at the knees. Why do you think he was diving at the DL's knees?