Is this really an illegal block

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
CPJ mentioned this in some interview recently ... He said that some of the refs in one of our scrimmages called penalties exactly like this one and when he showed them the tape, they agreed they were not penalties. He said he sent in a tape to the league to help with these calls (and ref education). But, we'll see ... it's ridiculous. As CPJ said, if it's truly dangerous, why not outlaw tackling below the waist? Why not outlaw anything below the waist - why is it more dangerous 5 yards in front of the LOS in run blocking rather than 5 yards behind the LOS in pass blocking?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why would this be considered illegal now? It certainly is not beyond five yards. The only question I think is whether it is outside the tackle box and head on no?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
CPJ mentioned this in some interview recently ... He said that some of the refs in one of our scrimmages called penalties exactly like this one and when he showed them the tape, they agreed they were not penalties. He said he sent in a tape to the league to help with these calls (and ref education). But, we'll see ... it's ridiculous. As CPJ said, if it's truly dangerous, why not outlaw tackling below the waist? Why not outlaw anything below the waist - why is it more dangerous 5 yards in front of the LOS in run blocking rather than 5 yards behind the LOS in pass blocking?

I agree. Why not outlaw tackling below the waist? On a side note, the fair catch on kick-offs looks bad.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If the ref looked over late he may have thought it was not 10-2 angle?
The player tried to side step the block instead of trying to beat it with his hands. It did lead to the blocker hitting at a non 10-2 angle. I do think it was a missed call, but if you only see the blocker hitting the defender, it would appear to not be 10-2. I think the entire context of the play is necessary though.

Deleted member 2897

I hate referees. They can go suck a rotten egg that Oprah cracked in her underwear and ran a 6 hour marathon on a hot day in.