Is it really true?

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Im just curious to see how UTs Dline will handle cut blocks. In all seriousness. I have seen DL's quit befirr ala MSU in the orange bowl and the second half against UGA in 2014. Our Oline was crusing in both of those games and I think its because they couldnt handle the amount of blocking they arent used to seeing.

UT's current line hasnt played an Oline like our team plays. GT could very well just frustrate them into making mistakes.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I have thought for several years that most other teams and most of our fans have it backwards. Due to nature of our offense, another team's passing defense is a much better indicator of how they will fare against us.

Traditional run stopping teams are what we are tailor made to exploit. But, teams with excellent pass defense (disruptive D-line, fast back 7) usually do a better job of defending us.

Although really, the teams where we just looked helpless and futile were shutting everyone down at everything.

I personally think the only thing that might hold us under 35 pts is ourselves. Turnovers and stupid penalties on the O-line.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have thought for several years that most other teams and most of our fans have it backwards. Due to nature of our offense, another team's passing defense is a much better indicator of how they will fare against us.

Traditional run stopping teams are what we are tailor made to exploit. But, teams with excellent pass defense (disruptive D-line, fast back 7) usually do a better job of defending us.

Although really, the teams where we just looked helpless and futile were shutting everyone down at everything.

I personally think the only thing that might hold us under 35 pts is ourselves. Turnovers and stupid penalties on the O-line.

Several years ago, I tried to prove your first thesis about pass-D as predictor to how well teams play us, and I couldn't satisfy myself. I think really that besides our self-inflicted stuff, it's either too much individual talent winning key 1 on 1 battles or really good DC's who know how to best use their guys. That being said, I wouldn't underestimate the self-inflicted stuff.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

That's an interesting thought I haven't seen voiced before. Not sure if I 100% agree, but I think there is something there. From my (limited) understanding, dominant DT's or freakish athletic MLB's were our bane.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

You are on to something. Its an observation i have had as well. The S is often responsible for the qb or pitchman. The secondary being strong especially the S is key. I agree with you. The dt position is first. If he can handle the playside gap alone then the next critical piece to me is the S.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think it's a hard and fast rule, just generally more applicable than a team's rush defense.

My larger theory is that generally speaking CPJ is fighting only two things: ourselves and physical superiority. I think the vast majority of our struggles are self-inflicted. Guys just not focused and ready to play. Some of that is because the other team is good but mostly it's just our guys being asleep for whatever reason.

The other issue is physical superiority. Sometimes we are just flat out getting whipped in a few places. There's only so much he can do to try and scheme around that.

Ultimately that means I don't think CPJ ever really struggles with what the other defense is doing. Rarely you'll see him seem like he's not calling plays well. However, if we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot and the other team isn't whipping us at multiple positions, we put up points, and usually a lot of them.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I think result is that generally speaking either our offense just works and stomp the other team, or it just flat out doesn't because we are asleep or getting manhandled. There's usually not a whole lot of in between.