Is it really true?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
But most of the reports indicate that Tennessee is one of the worst defenses, now, and for the last couple of years. I think we will have our way with them on offense. I know, I know, their numbers have to be understood in the context of all those big, bad, SEC opponents.

I think our offense will be just fine. The most important part of our offense, our OL, is probably best group CPJ has had at GT. Our skill players are experienced, and our AB group is exceptional. Jeune is a borderline NFL prospect, and Brad Stewart is experienced and much better than most give him credit for. I believe Taquan will be the starter, and people tend to forget he's a very gifted runner, and he will be a threat running between the tackles unlike JeT. This is his third year in the system, and it sounds like the light has come on for him at QB. BB is a concern because Mills was one of the best RBs in the nation, but there are capable guys back there. CPJ has been doing this long enough to know how to mix in plays to maximize our strengths (WR, AB, OL, extremely athletic QBs), and minimize our weaknesses (inexperienced QB, inexperience BBs). Plus, he probably has a surprise up his sleave (Lucas Johnson!!!).

IMO, the UT game will come down to the Vol's offense versus our Defense. Our defense returns 8 starters, and it's probably the best DL CPJ has recruited since he's been here. If our O can score at least 30 and not give away the ball on turnovers, I think GT will win comfortably. However, if our defense is leaky, and our O turns the ball over multiple times, it may not be pretty for GT.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think our offense will be just fine. The most important part of our offense, our OL, is probably best group CPJ has had at GT. Our skill players are experienced, and our AB group is exceptional. Jeune is a borderline NFL prospect, and Brad Stewart is experienced and much better than most give him credit for. I believe Taquan will be the starter, and people tend to forget he's a very gifted runner, and he will be a threat running between the tackles unlike JeT. This is his third year in the system, and it sounds like the light has come on for him at QB. BB is a concern because Mills was one of the best RBs in the nation, but there are capable guys back there. CPJ has been doing this long enough to know how to mix in plays to maximize our strengths (WR, AB, OL, extremely athletic QBs), and minimize our weaknesses (inexperienced QB, inexperience BBs). Plus, he probably has a surprise up his sleave (Lucas Johnson!!!).

IMO, the UT game will come down to the Vol's offense versus our Defense. Our defense returns 8 starters, and it's probably the best DL CPJ has recruited since he's been here. If our O can score at least 30 and not give away the ball on turnovers, I think GT will win comfortably. However, if our defense is leaky, and our O turns the ball over multiple times, it may not be pretty for GT.
If your last sentence is true we lose to wake forest.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If the offense can play pretty clean and get most of the blocking right, I like our of against their dc.
Too many self inflicted events that put us behind the chains will be very tough on the NEW q b. If he gets nervous it could give them easy scores.

I am expecting a dog fight. Once coach gets the dc confused our guys won't relent

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Turnovers and injuries are always the game changers. They are given caveats for almost everything we post. Without further significant problems in those areas I like our chances for a good season. A injury year like 2015 and we will ride the seesaw back down again but even so I think we have more depth and am optimistic against the Vols.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Kansas 2011 will seem close in comparison. Lucas will play the 3rd quarter and Jay the 4th just because their D will have worked too hard for the game to not get a chance to even smell a stop.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
What is true is that option teams and coach johnson both historically have a higher winning percentage on the second half of seaons. Cant remember source article, read it many moons ago!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
If your last sentence is true we lose to wake forest.

If that sentence is true for anybody, they're losing to Wake. What team out there is able to win games where their defense is leaky and offense is turning it over a bunch? That's basically just describing a generic loss scenario for any team in the country...we ain't that unique.

Deleted member 2897

One of the common themes about our offense going into the season, especially this year, is catch us at the beginning of the season. This may have some truth to it but I was wondering how true. So I decided to look at scores vs. P5/G5 in

September:

BC- 19
VT- 17
Miss. St. - 38

Clemson- 30
Miami- 17
UNC- 24

KU- 25
UNC-30
NCSU- 28

MTSU- 49
KU- 66
UNC- 35

VT- 17
UVA- 56
UM- 36
MTSU- 28

Duke -38
UNC- 28
VT- 10

Tulane- 38
GaSU- 42
VT- 27

Tulane- 65
ND - 22
Duke- 20

BC-17
Vandy- 38
Clemson- 7

In 2016, the Vols ranked 95th nationally in yards allowed and gave up almost 29 points per game.
With what they have returning and probably their best DY Tuttle being out could spell disaster for them and be a 30pt output for the offense?

Another intriguing stat that is key in 1st games are big plays. 1st game is usually the game with most missed assignments. If that holds true it could be an explosive night for us. Last season, The Vols allowed five plays of 70+ yards last season, four of those being runs. They also allowed 37 plays of 30-plus yards.

What do you guys think? O/U 25 pts

Pretty good write up on the 17 Vols defense
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...e-better-in-2017-football-tennessee-bob-shoop

I haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if this has already been mentioned, but think back to when we were 3-9. We started with 2 cupcakes...games that we won by large margins...BUT, we also had something like 75 missed assignments. So I don't think you can just look at the score, you have to study the film to see how well we played. And it seems like we nearly always start very slow. Year after year. Despite how tenured the team is. Even in 2014 we struggled mightly with Wofford, Georgia Southern, etc.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. If UT can't stop us inside (which I think is going to be hard for them) then we should win, as long as our D plays like they did at the end of the season last year. Bback gets around 150 and QB around 75 with 100 out of the A backs and around 150 in passing. I honestly think this is reasonable and can result in roughly 35 points. If we get 10 drives and UT as well, our D will only need 5 or 6 stops. Maybe a turnover or 2 with the stops. Harvin could help out a lot with his punts, if he can pin UT inside the 15 some it won't matter if they get a lot of yards, hopefully the D could stall the offense even after a long drive for no points or even just 3. In quite certain this is exactly how the game will turn out. (Sarcasm in that last comment)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. If UT can't stop us inside (which I think is going to be hard for them) then we should win, as long as our D plays like they did at the end of the season last year. Bback gets around 150 and QB around 75 with 100 out of the A backs and around 150 in passing. I honestly think this is reasonable and can result in roughly 35 points. If we get 10 drives and UT as well, our D will only need 5 or 6 stops. Maybe a turnover or 2 with the stops. Harvin could help out a lot with his punts, if he can pin UT inside the 15 some it won't matter if they get a lot of yards, hopefully the D could stall the offense even after a long drive for no points or even just 3. In quite certain this is exactly how the game will turn out. (Sarcasm in that last comment)

If we hang 35 pts and 475 yards on UT in the opener, I'll be ordering my ACC 'ship tickets...

Deleted member 2897

If we hang 35 pts and 475 yards on UT in the opener, I'll be ordering my ACC 'ship tickets...

Right. I'm expecting 75 missed assignments. 120 out of BB, 50 out of QB, 80 out of AB, and 80 passing. I'm sure we'll see some fumble fingers, players going the wrong way, and so on. Its just the way we are early in the season, and this time we have a new QB/BB.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Kentucky and Vandy had well over 500 yards on UT last year. I'm not saying we will get 475 but by no means should it be unreachable. If I was going to have a guess I would say we get 350-400 yards. But 475 isn't unreasonable.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Kentucky and Vandy had well over 500 yards on UT last year. I'm not saying we will get 475 but by no means should it be unreachable. If I was going to have a guess I would say we get 350-400 yards. But 475 isn't unreasonable.

It is certainly possible. I will be pleasantly surprised and highly encouraged if our O is humming at that level with a new BB and new QB this early in the year against a legit opponent.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
It is certainly possible. I will be pleasantly surprised and highly encouraged if our O is humming at that level with a new BB and new QB this early in the year against a legit opponent.

I'll be perfectly happy if we're humming and UT is NOT a legit opponent. I just want to start with a W in a big opening game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think their O is legit and the talent on D is legit. I just don't know if their D is legit if that makes sense lol. But they could turn out to be great on D. If I was going to give a real estimate I would say 135 Bback, 85 QB, 100 AB, and 130 passing. So a total of 350.