Is it really true?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
One of the common themes about our offense going into the season, especially this year, is catch us at the beginning of the season. This may have some truth to it but I was wondering how true. So I decided to look at scores vs. P5/G5 in

September:

BC- 19
VT- 17
Miss. St. - 38

Clemson- 30
Miami- 17
UNC- 24

KU- 25
UNC-30
NCSU- 28

MTSU- 49
KU- 66
UNC- 35

VT- 17
UVA- 56
UM- 36
MTSU- 28

Duke -38
UNC- 28
VT- 10

Tulane- 38
GaSU- 42
VT- 27

Tulane- 65
ND - 22
Duke- 20

BC-17
Vandy- 38
Clemson- 7

In 2016, the Vols ranked 95th nationally in yards allowed and gave up almost 29 points per game.
With what they have returning and probably their best DY Tuttle being out could spell disaster for them and be a 30pt output for the offense?

Another intriguing stat that is key in 1st games are big plays. 1st game is usually the game with most missed assignments. If that holds true it could be an explosive night for us. Last season, The Vols allowed five plays of 70+ yards last season, four of those being runs. They also allowed 37 plays of 30-plus yards.

What do you guys think? O/U 25 pts

Pretty good write up on the 17 Vols defense
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...e-better-in-2017-football-tennessee-bob-shoop

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing that hurt us against BC last year was the wet track. We have an offense that involves a lot of movement and being able to make cuts up field at a moments notice. I think we probably would've scored another 10 points in that game if the field wasn't as slick.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think this should be considered a common theme for college football rather than a common theme for our offense. Defenses are typically ahead of offenses at the start of a season because it's much more read and react vs. timing. I was hoping we'd be able to lean on Dedrick in this game and just run a lot of dives, but that ship has sailed. I will say that the teams that have given us trouble early are teams with good defenses, so it's nothing all that special...they would have given us trouble later in the season as well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think this should be considered a common theme for college football rather than a common theme for our offense. Defenses are typically ahead of offenses at the start of a season because it's much more read and react vs. timing. I was hoping we'd be able to lean on Dedrick in this game and just run a lot of dives, but that ship has sailed. I will say that the teams that have given us trouble early are teams with good defenses, so it's nothing all that special...they would have given us trouble later in the season as well.
First part is true about D ahead of O. Second part, not so much. The dive ship has not sailed, it's a fairly simple play (or group of plays) and we have guys who can run it. More importantly, we have guys who can block it.

I said it before and I'll say it again, go jumbo: Matthew, Jerry, Shamire... 1,2,3. Dives, follows, midlines, then when the D is all dialed in to stopping it, hit 'em with the rocket toss and then counters. Then when they totally sleep on our receivers, go over the top. Rinse and repeat.

With our defense I never expect that 30 is going to be enough to win. I hope I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Run the ball. Stop the run. Do those two things and I think we'll have a good night.

I just keep seeing Lucas Cox gashing Miami's middle for big yardage in 2008. With Randy Shannon perplexed on the sidelines. Need a repeat of that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd throw out 2008. CPJ's first year and our offense was still trying to figure out which way to go. (BTW, if you want to see what a raw but super athletic QB can do in this system, just look at what Josh did for this offense early in 2008.) After that, guys were in the system for multiple years.

VT in 2012 and BC in 2017 were some of the best defenses in the nation in those respective years. A lot of offenses struggled against them those years.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
First part is true about D ahead of O. Second part, not so much. The dive ship has not sailed, it's a fairly simple play (or group of plays) and we have guys who can run it. More importantly, we have guys who can block it.

I said it before and I'll say it again, go jumbo: Matthew, Jerry, Shamire... 1,2,3. Dives, follows, midlines, then when the D is all dialed in to stopping it, hit 'em with the rocket toss and then counters. Then when they totally sleep on our receivers, go over the top. Rinse and repeat.

I didn't say the dive ship has sailed. I said leaning on Dedrick to run a lot of dives has sailed...and it has. Might still work with another guy, I just worry about ball security with a new BB in there. But yeah I agree...if we're able to get push in the middle we'll see the dives anyhow.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Yes to the first paragraph and hell no to the 2nd.

If the DC Shoop implements what he did vs Army 2015, we will attack the middle because of the safeties running hard to the pitch and PA down the seam to the ABacks

I'd throw out 2008. CPJ's first year and our offense was still trying to figure out which way to go. (BTW, if you want to see what a raw but super athletic QB can do in this system, just look at what Josh did for this offense early in 2008.) After that, guys were in the system for multiple years.

VT in 2012 and BC in 2017 were some of the best defenses in the nation in those respective years. A lot of offenses struggled against them those years.
But most of the reports indicate that Tennessee is one of the worst defenses, now, and for the last couple of years. I think we will have our way with them on offense. I know, I know, their numbers have to be understood in the context of all those big, bad, SEC opponents.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

If the DC Shoop implements what he did vs Army 2015, we will attack the middle because of the safeties running hard to the pitch and PA down the seam to the ABacks

That'd be nice. Most DC's that have taken this approach get burned really badly. If we are able to score quickly we could embarrass these guys with all the new players they have on offense. Basically force them into trying to make something happen, get them to turn it over, etc.

I didn't say the dive ship has sailed. I said leaning on Dedrick to run a lot of dives has sailed...and it has. Might still work with another guy, I just worry about ball security with a new BB in there. But yeah I agree...if we're able to get push in the middle we'll see the dives anyhow.

G-C-G is still good. Will still work with any number of replacement backs. I look for 100 yards from the BB position, although it might be spread over three different players. Kirvonte and Quade are going to play. Maybe a couple of others.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
rumor is UT is preparing this season for a 3-4 WR set with short passing, and especially in the game vs us, to mimic more what UNC does.

I will let you fellas discuss what that means.

Penn State beat a 2-10 Army team that day 20-14. I know the program had had some sanctions and coaching turnover. But I would not call that a successful day at Happy Valley for the Nittany Lions defense.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Turn overs have been my concern for first time BBs. All have coughed up the ball in their early games. The mesh working well is always a concern. I agree it it is a crap shoot but as bad as we were in 2015 we scored 21 points or more in every game. I would feel better to have Lynch available. Didn't analyze D vs O points or garbage time points. We have a much better O and I believe D this year. Go Jackets! Swarm! Sting those Riflemen!! THWG!