Is Collins nasty enough to be a HC ?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
This guy needs to stop patting people for
10 yard penalties. Are u kidding me? When is that commendable?

UVA had 1 penalty against a superior opponent in Clemson yesterday. That’s superior coaching. In no scenario are we going to win with poor coaching.
well Tech beat FSU so we don't have poor coaching!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
UCF had 12 penalties for 124 yards and turned the ball over 3 times in their loss to Tulsa, including a pick-six by their QB who is pretty good. Tulsa only had 250 yds in total O yet won by 8. Sounds a lot like the game we had against Syracuse…they gifted it. Is their coach Heupel not nasty enough? Are they an undisciplined team? My guess is they are a pretty good team that played like crap for whatever reason.Outliers happen.

Last season we were excellent in not committing penalties. This year we've had a couple of high penalty games. Will be interesting to see if what's happened is an outlier or a new normal.

Not saying this thread isn't deserved or we shouldn't be discussing this. I just wouldn't be surprised if turns out to be an outlier based on the longer term record of the staff to date. Then again even that sample size is still small. From statistical perspective all I can say is we shall see.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You can even look over to the school 77 miles east of Atlanta. While they’ve always spent money like a powerhouse program, the increase in their spending from 2010 to 2020 is insane. The majority of that uptick can be accredited to the hiring of Kirby Smart. Georgia spent $500k on football recruiting expenses in 2013. They spent over $3.7M in recruiting alone in 2019. That’s over a 700% increase in recruiting spending alone over a 6 year period. Their total football expenditures increased by over $9M last year, after bringing in a record profit.

We’ve seen Georgia go from being a really good program, to a top tier program right before our eyes in about half a decade. Solely because they decided they were going to become some of the top spenders in the nation. It’s the same exact formula Clemson and Oregon have used in the modern day, and Miami and FSU did a few decades ago. One visionary guy at the helm can literally transform the direction of a program.
You realize of course that that school "77 miles east of Atlanta" is the same school this board has denigrated, insulted, demeaned, ridiculed and otherwise made sport of and now is held up as the model of big time football virtue ....

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You realize of course that that school "77 miles east of Atlanta"... now is held up as the model of big time football virtue ....

???? Interesting. I have never heard anyone hold them up as anything like that. And I even know and associate with people who don't hate them. NOBODY in my contact has said or implied anything like that. What am I missing?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
???? Interesting. I have never heard anyone hold them up as anything like that. And I even know and associate with people who don't hate them. NOBODY in my contact has said or implied anything like that. What am I missing?
The sarcasm, I suppose. But Georgia is hardly the school to emulate in fund raising.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The sarcasm, I suppose. But Georgia is hardly the school to emulate in fund raising.
I never said anything about emulating them. But if you’re going to bring it up, why wouldn’t you want to emulate them? They’ve raised and spent more money than literally anybody else in the country. That sounds like a pretty good gig to me. They went from being top ~20 or so in funds to #1 over a 5 year period. That’s pretty damn impressive, regardless of whatever methods they used.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I never said anything about emulating them. But if you’re going to bring it up, why wouldn’t you want to emulate them? They’ve raised and spent more money than literally anybody else in the country. That sounds like a pretty good gig to me. They went from being top ~20 or so in funds to #1 over a 5 year period. That’s pretty damn impressive, regardless of whatever methods they used.
Yeah, I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t want to be in UGA’s shoes in terms of fundraising. They have people damn near lining up to throw money at the program. It’s quite impressive actually.

So to go back to the original thread...No Collins is too weak to be head coach. Saw tonight where he is too busy talking about voting. With a bad losing team.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So to go back to the original thread...No Collins is too weak to be head coach. Saw tonight where he is too busy talking about voting. With a bad losing team.
Are you talking about yesterday's press conference?

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg: "Hey, I'm just doing something on Coach Reveno and his voter initiative, and I just wanted to ask you what your reaction was to that and what you did as a football coach with your team to be a part of it?

Coach Collins: "Absolutely, and I've spoken about this many times to the people that cover us every day, so I don't want to be redundant, but I do think it's an important piece and an important initiative....."

Here it is at 12:03 for context:

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Was that from his Monday press conference? I listened to some of the questions that the reporters were asking him. It may be me, but I like direct answers to questions instead of rambling responses. He has so many key words he likes to use.
Edit: I just saw that CuseJacket just posted the video.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll be honest. I like CGC and I respect him for letting the players vote and be aware of other things going on in the world but I can't listen to any more interviews of him. He says the same thing over and over. I like that he takes ownership of the mistakes but he needs to put that into action in my opinion. I wish reporters would ask him more in depth questions about the play on the field and that he would answer them directly without using the words "effort", "high level", "elite", "culture", "404", "for the city", etc. Talk is cheap. I get he is trying to promote the program, but there hasn't been much to promote. Its like having a fancy manual transmission supercar and the person trying driving it doesn't really now how to drive stick. It's time for the product on the field to do the talking. That is the best promotional tool. I'm not expecting the product to win every game but I want to see it improve and look well coached.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
It's time for the product on the field to do the talking. That is the best promotional tool. I'm not expecting the product to win every game but I want to see it improve and look well coached.

I’m just quoting this since the rest was just you complaint about something you don’t like but isn’t directed at you anyways. I do like analogies and nice cars though so I’ll try one.

You not liking his press conferences is like a salty old man who loves his old truck being mad at Ferrari for advertising their newest Portifino M model.

To the part I quoted, I mainly just have a question. Did you us play last year? If you can’t tell the team has improved then I don’t know what to tell you.

You say you’re not expecting us to win every game, but it doesn’t come off that way. We have greatly improved on the offensive side of the ball. Offensive line, WRs, TEs, QB, and obviously RBs have played great. The defensive line has greatly improved even though we are missing key pieces there.

I will concede that it seems like our LB and DB play has not improved (though missing Swilling hurts). But there is improvement still. I’ve been impressed with Walton and feel like he has improved.

So just be honest. That’s all we ask. Don’t say you want improvement when that’s not what you mean. If it is what you mean, then watch the games closely (not just the result of the play).

And lastly, do yourself a favor, stop watching CGC’s press conferences. He’s on a mission and speaking to 14-18 year old kids and their parents. Don’t believe me, look how they splice up bits of his conference and tweet it out. He doesn’t owe “us” any football talk although I do think more of that will come as we improve in the wins and loss column and the brand is built. Until then, he’s building the brand.

If you want content, watch Patenaude and Thacker’s. Some good stuff in there.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am okay with judging a coach by what you see on the field. That is fair. But to judge him (or any person) on the way he or she speaks, looks, talks, combs his hair, dresses, etc. is probably the most juvenile and petty thing that one sees on these public forums and reduces the level of discussion to the junior high school level. Or below. Not saying this as a moderator as these posts typically fall within site guidelines but I am saying it as an adult user of the board and a graduate of Georgia Tech. Can we keep things above the superficial level? Rant over.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
Did you us play last year?
Kind of hard to answer that question because it makes no sense. Yes, I have watched every game. Yes there are some improvements in some areas. But there are still some fundamental things (like lack of discipline and bad coaching decisions) that are not being addressed. I posted that as a personal opinion. I'm not telling anyone else not to watch them. Its hard for me to watch his press conferences because he says the same thing every time and I don't get anything new from them. That's not an attack on him personally. He's doing his job and answering the questions given to him. You're right about watching Patenaude and Thacker's press conferences. But I would also like our head coach more involved and talked about the xs and os as well. And he does do that from time to time but it's always followed but by we will get better and I personally haven't seen that. I like fancy cars too but I want the driver to be a well taught on how to drive it without being reckless.

But to judge him (or any person) on the way he or she speaks, looks, talks, combs his hair, dresses, etc. is probably the most juvenile and petty thing that one sees on these public forums and reduces the level of discussion to the junior high school level. Or below.
I'm not judging any personal trait of his or how he speaks. I love his energy and I think he is a great and genuine guy. What I am saying is those catchphrase words he says are meaningless unless they are backed up with evidence on the field.

I'm sorry if some of you think I'm being to hard on the guy but after watching last week's game and seeing some of the same discipline and coaching issues we saw last year, it really makes me think about his ability to coach. I don't want to question it because I really want him and the team to do great, but it is hard not to right now. I really hope he changes my mind.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I will say this... Saban and that coach of the Patriots RARELY smile. They are NEVER satisfied. Even after a championship they are talking about what could of been done better, or how to make next years team better. They rarely praise the team. Follow the model that WINS.

I LIKE THAT. Let them know they are never good enough. They always have to improve, and make them feel like their scholarship is always on the line.

Now that's competition.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m just quoting this since the rest was just you complaint about something you don’t like but isn’t directed at you anyways. I do like analogies and nice cars though so I’ll try one.

You not liking his press conferences is like a salty old man who loves his old truck being mad at Ferrari for advertising their newest Portifino M model.

To the part I quoted, I mainly just have a question. Did you us play last year? If you can’t tell the team has improved then I don’t know what to tell you.

You say you’re not expecting us to win every game, but it doesn’t come off that way. We have greatly improved on the offensive side of the ball. Offensive line, WRs, TEs, QB, and obviously RBs have played great. The defensive line has greatly improved even though we are missing key pieces there.

I will concede that it seems like our LB and DB play has not improved (though missing Swilling hurts). But there is improvement still. I’ve been impressed with Walton and feel like he has improved.

So just be honest. That’s all we ask. Don’t say you want improvement when that’s not what you mean. If it is what you mean, then watch the games closely (not just the result of the play).

And lastly, do yourself a favor, stop watching CGC’s press conferences. He’s on a mission and speaking to 14-18 year old kids and their parents. Don’t believe me, look how they splice up bits of his conference and tweet it out. He doesn’t owe “us” any football talk although I do think more of that will come as we improve in the wins and loss column and the brand is built. Until then, he’s building the brand.

If you want content, watch Patenaude and Thacker’s. Some good stuff in there.

Exactly. All GT fans will benefit from Collins 2-3 years of brand building when we get high level players to sign here. You think Gibbs signs here if he didn’t buy into Collins marketing? This is all about changing the last 20 year perception of GT football for kids who are 12-18 years old. Remember we are program that had Calvin Johnson on the roster and our coach didn’t use him (see Wake). We had back to back coaches who were about as charismatic as a 2x4 and we wonder why 14-18 year old males are drawn to other programs. We finally have a coach who pumps up GT and some want to make fun of him. The dude got Jamious Griffin before he had a staff. He got Gibbs who is clearly our best player in a decade after a 3-8 season. He got an Elite 11 QB. Give him time and he will win a lot of games. If Collins had a Calvin Johnson he’d be targeted about 50 times a game. His use of Gibbs after 2 games is already better than any player usage our last 2 coaches had. High level recruits see this and are buying in. But you gotta give him more than a class and a half.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I will say this... Saban and that coach of the Patriots RARELY smile. They are NEVER satisfied. Even after a championship they are talking about what could of been done better, or how to make next years team better. They rarely praise the team. Follow the model that WINS.

I LIKE THAT. Let them know they are never good enough. They always have to improve, and make them feel like their scholarship is always on the line.

Now that's competition.

Come on man. That‘s like saying why don’t our basketball players just play like Jordan and LeBron. Alabama is the top college program of all time and currently has the greatest college head coach in history. Belichek is the NFL goat. Yeah, I’m sure Collins would have loved to have walked into those situations as well. Guess what, the coach of the Lions comes from Belichek and has the same demeanor. His team sucks and no free agents want to sign there. We had a no nonsense coach for a decade and please remind me how many 4 and 5 stars did he get to sign? I kind of like the Andy Reid and Dabo style where players actually like their coach and free agents want to sign there.