Is Collins nasty enough to be a HC ?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
No. It's not possible. Look at the math. What you 're saying is that you're going to get an increasing number of 4-stars outside of your home zone. That takes money. Big money. Which we don't have.

No, sorry. It's not realistic. And it's another reason TStan said this. Three or four, sure. More ... no way.
Tech signed 4, 4 stars in 2020. In what world is 5-7 not possible? 10-12 might not be possible. But 5-7 is easily within range, and should be expected.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How can you think that Gailey's results are the same as CPJ. I think you said some truths for sure about defensive side (which I blame more on lack of funding), but come on, there's no comparing CCG to CPJ results wise. Galley accomplished nothing with the best wide receiver to play the game.
Sure there is.

The number of players in the NFL by college are Alabama (56), LSU (41), Florida (39), UGA (32) and Clemson (29). That's in our "neighborhood". So if you're a talent, you're likelihood of making it to the NFL with any of those teams is pretty high. Georgia Tech has 6. Six.

So the theory is ... Collins can change that! So let's see ... there's roughly 300,000 high school seniors playing football. There's roughly 40,000 NCAA football players split among FBS, FCS, DII and DIII. If we assume each FBS team (there are 127) has 85 scholarships and one-fourth of those are freshman, We can break it down as follows, (averages):

No of Five Star Recruits Available: 30
No of Four Star Recruits Available: 380
No of Three Star Recruits Available: 1328
No of Two Star Recruits Available: 1859 (but only 961 will be signed)

Now, Tech's equity "share" of blue chips is (30+380)/127 = 3.2 or 3 (or 4, whatever). If Tech is recruiting in GA, which produced 36 Blue Chips last year, that means Tech will sign 10% of the available talent. Really? How many can even get into Tech? And don't forget ... we're competing against Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, and Clemson for the same talent.

Oh ... and btw ... how many blue chips actually pan out? About 50%.

TStan was right. By sheer numbers, Tech CAN recruit the best 3 stars (the mere fact there are more of them suggests there are also more of them who could enroll and stay enrolled at Tech) ... and use Tech "science" in terms of the best S&C, nutrition, etc ... to develop them into five stars over time. He said that was the strategy, it is our strategy, and it's how he's looking to invest money to support that.

FWIW, I did an analysis of Clemson's team 2 years ago. The top degrees are a) Parks and Recreation, b) Undecided and c) Pre-business (that's a freshman program and I'm shocked at the number of Clemson seniors still in a freshman program. I guess neither Clemson nor the NCAA want to know.)

Long story short ... we may get the occasional 4-star and I'm happy to celebrate that. But to think we are going to dramatically change the percentage we get at the expense of factories is lunacy. Tech has a high bar (SAT scores for one), limited degrees, and a different culture.

If you think Collins is going to land 10 four-stars a year .... good luck with that. You're going to be very unhappy.
We signed 7 blue chip recruits in Collins first class. A lot of you fail to realize how far the Triple option set us back in recruiting.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We signed 7 blue chip recruits in Collins first class. A lot of you fail to realize how far the Triple option set us back in recruiting.
Totally disagree ... but in all fairness for anecdotal reasons.

I asked all my football player students if they considered Tech as an option for college. Answer: Zero. Was it the TO that held them back? No. What then? They wanted to play against their friends.

West GA and East Alabama used to be prime GA Tech recruiting country. And Tech has largely just abandoned it. It's a lot more expensive to recruit in Miami than it is in Newnan ... but then again, it's up to the Man in Charge.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
No. It's not possible. Look at the math. What you 're saying is that you're going to get an increasing number of 4-stars outside of your home zone. That takes money. Big money. Which we don't have.

No, sorry. It's not realistic. And it's another reason TStan said this. Three or four, sure. More ... no way.

This sums up our fan base. We could have a Virginia Ham under each arm, yet complain we had no bread.

I'd like 1 reason as to why we won't get 5+ 4 star and better players each year, once this train gets rolling? Don't give me the Alabama uga Clemson bit. Clemson started doing it going against the same teams we go against. Georgia is a top 5 recruiting hotbed in the nation. We are in the heartbeat of the South. WHY NOT US???

Start reaching for something above average in our program. We completed a $125 million dollar capitol campaign in less than 2 years, so don't tell me the money ain't there. We buy $100 masks and $200 hats & $404 hats and backpack bundles. Don't tell me the money ain't there.

No offense given, but it's the mind set like yours that we need to change. What CGC is doing is trying to break down the door. ADTS is trying to break down the door, even though he said what he said, you know he wants better players and higher skill sets. We will get there, with those guys I don't know, but I do know we will get there. The Hill and the Board of Regents will start to give. Will we have players with degrees that aren't worth the paper they are printed on? No, but it can be done with out going the parks and recreation degree route.

I bleed White and Gold and it baffles me that at Georgia Tech, students are asked to change the world, yet we as fans poo poo the idea of having a top 10 recruiting class. WHY NOT US?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The Hill and the Board of Regents will start to give.
Totally laughable. Are you even serious here?

Look, I want to win as much as anyone. I long for the Dodd days and national championships. But I also live in Realville.

Let's assume we get 10 blue chips a year and 5 work out (per averages). That's 5 a year graduating and let's assume all five go NFL. With a 10 year life in the NFL ... you're telling me that Tech is going to become the second greatest supplier of talent into the NFL after Alabama.

Who's kidding who?

TStan is realistic. We may not recruit 5-star talent ... but we can develop it. I can get behind that. Fantasy Island? No thanks.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Good luck with that. I'm sure Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and UGA are all going to just lay down ...
Who said anything about them laying down? Why can’t Tech just rise up? Jeez dude, why are there so many pessimists on this board? In year 1 of CGC Tech signed 4 Four stars and brought in multiple 4 and 5 star transfers. 5-7 4 star recruits per year is not some insurmountable amount. All of the evidence you post that says the contrary is anecdotal.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Look, I want to win as much as anyone. I long for the Dodd days and national championships. But I also live in Realville.

Let's assume we get 10 blue chips a year and 5 work out (per averages). That's 5 a year graduating and let's assume all five go NFL. With a 10 year life in the NFL ... you're telling me that Tech is going to become the second greatest supplier of talent into the NFL after Alabama.

Who's kidding who?

TStan is realistic. We may not recruit 5-star talent ... but we can develop it. I can get behind that. Fantasy Island? No thanks.
So why won't the Hill or BoR change?

I'm asking for reasons and you are just poo pooing the idea. I never said we would replace Alabama, but you know Alabama had to replace somebody.

My question is, and you failed to answer, is WHY NOT US?

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Who's kidding who?

I don’t think anyone is saying we are going to become a factory. I think most are saying it’s reasonable to think we should sign 5-7 4 stars a year. Clemson is the most recent example of a school to turn things around rapidly once the donations started flowing. Hell UGA has upped its financial game in the past 6 years too. We don’t spend 30 million on football and still are mediocre at worst in the ACC. Imagine what spending an extra 10-15 million would do? Also, NIL and one time transfer should help us moving forward

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Who said anything about them laying down? Why can’t Tech just rise up? Jeez dude, why are there so many pessimists on this board? In year 1 of CGC Tech signed 4 Four stars and brought in multiple 4 and 5 star transfers. 5-7 4 star recruits per year is not some insurmountable amount. All of the evidence you post that says the contrary is anecdotal.
Why are realists pessimistic? Have you ever heard of reversion to the mean? I went to Tech. I did.

There's a reality that we will get some percentage of good players. Yes. I agree with that. But what is it? There's roughly 400 Blue Chips a year. And 127 teams competing for them. Our historical win average is less than 60% . And even less of getting kids to the NFL. And somehow, we're going to land more than our share of talent.

Pray tell ... show me how. Don't just sit in your pajamas and say, "Boy, you're negative". I've sat in the AD box and hear TStan say this directly. This is NOT Tech's game. Why are you so resistant to the strategy? Or do you just hope for something different?

TStan is the first AD in my lifetime that is realistic. It is so sad so many so called fans can't or won't ... understand what he is doing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So why won't the Hill or BoR change?

I'm asking for reasons and you are just poo pooing the idea. I never said we would replace Alabama, but you know Alabama had to replace somebody.

My question is, and you failed to answer, is WHY NOT US?

Easy. There are 26,000 students at Tech. Fewer than 500 are athletes. The President (and the Hill) are not compensated on football wins. They are compensated on research dollars generated.

Understand now?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And again, on a daily basis, GT students are asked to change the world, yet fans like you can't do the same for our football team. Sad.
Those mostly likely to die are optimists. Because their goals are never achieved. Realists thrive because they understand and adapt to the real world. Which are you again?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So is his plan to have the largest stadium in the FCS? Or move us to the Sunbelt?
Neither. He has said all along that struggling at Tech is a virtue and that we will recruit 3-stars and develop them into 5-stars. That's what he is raising money on. Is he wrong? Email and tell him.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Those mostly likely to die are optimists. Because their goals are never achieved. Realists thrive because they understand and adapt to the real world. Which are you again?
I'm a former athlete so I'm going to work my tail off and do the best I can day in and day out. It's a reason my business is having one of it's best years in the last 2 decades. I think Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Geoff Collins and others who dream big tend to do well. But, putting in the leg work with big dreams is a must.

Obviously, you're fine with average and that's ok, I guess.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Neither. He has said all along that struggling at Tech is a virtue and that we will recruit 3-stars and develop them into 5-stars. That's what he is raising money on. Is he wrong? Email and tell him.
One more and I'm done...

So if this program becomes a top 25 year in and year out in recruiting, is ADTS gonna fire CGC because he is getting too many 4 and 5 star guys?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm a former athlete so I'm going to work my tail off and do the best I can day in and day out. It's a reason my business is having one of it's best years in the last 2 decades. I think Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Geoff Collins and others who dream big tend to do well. But, putting in the leg work with big dreams is a must.

Obviously, you're fine with average and that's ok, I guess.

You're an athlete. Thanks for that.

I ran multi hundred million dollar businesses by looking at facts and data and not HOPING things work out. But you seem like a nice guy. Call TStan and tell him he's wrong. He sold me. Maybe you... not so much.