Is college football near the end as we know it.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
lol let the corporations go untaxed and tax the workers. Nice touch
Seriously? We’re not supposed to tax income as income?

I’m more than fine taxing the athletic associations on their profits. The issue is most of them aren’t making money; in fact they’re nonprofits. This would be like saying people who work at the American Cancer Society shouldn’t be taxed on their income.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for the players benefiting. However this is not a game leveler. The NCAA was not very clear about their decision. I understand they are going to try to make a cap on money that can be made. That will never fly. This is the beginning of a new era in college sports. In the long run this will all morph into bidding for players and the super programs will dominate.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
College foot as I know it has already ended. ESPN has destroyed it with all the money they have poured into it, especially loaded toward the SEC. Also the over exposure they have given with wall to wall games on TV. The game was designed to be a spectator sport played by college students and viewed in person, not from the sofa at home. I no longer follow any pro sports and have not since the baseball players strike. I wish someone has saved it before it became totally dominated by the SEC and few large football factories like Clemson and Ohio State.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Eventually this may open a can of worms from a different perspective. If the athletes are considered employees of the school/ athletic association and they are injured, will they qualify for worker’s compensation benefits , including long-term disability payments? If they are considered independent contractors instead, can they file a liability claim instead? The latter isn’t afforded caps on payouts.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Very little will change. Most players just aren’t worth all that much. Even the best minor league baseball players don’t have huge endorsements.

A handful of players will likely get some money, and I will be happy for them. I can think of no good reason to prevent a person willing to pay another from from doing so in this context.

I agree somewhat. There is a slippery slope here though. The best recruits in the land would now be foolish NOT to go to the schools with the biggest fanbases for purchasing power alone.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for the players benefiting.

I’m curious why you support players benefiting. I mean, they are benefitting from a $100,000+ education.

It’s going to increase the divide between Rev and Nonrev sports, and just accelerate the mess that CFB is headed for.

I guess you could create a pool and divide for all players ... but I fear it’s just going to create bigger factories.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Very little will change. Most players just aren’t worth all that much. Even the best minor league baseball players don’t have huge endorsements.

A handful of players will likely get some money, and I will be happy for them. I can think of no good reason to prevent a person willing to pay another from from doing so in this context.

Now this i agree which makes the freaking even more hilarious! Unless you are a Calvin, Zion or the like, you will see nothing than a few peanuts and a monthly check from EA or 2ksports for image/likeness for the video game which may be like $30 or $40. I’m moreso excited that the players have opportunity to profit truly presented itself.

As for the jerseys, Nike and Adidas already selling alums jerseys with the names on the back might as do it current players. NFL player currently gets 2/3 of the share of jersey sales. I’m sure the NCAA will come up with 50/50 share or the like they needs to be agreed upon

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I agree somewhat. There is a slippery slope here though. The best recruits in the land would now be foolish NOT to go to the schools with the biggest fanbases for purchasing power alone.
They already go there now. I actually think the result will be schools like Tech being able to buy one or two difference makers. The value to us of a couple of those is found in the fact that there are still 22 people on the field. Can’t sell any jerseys on the bench, and contrary to what seem to think, boosters aren’t going to bankroll an entire roster. They’re rich, but generally not that rich (T. Boone Pickens notwithstanding).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
They already go there now. I actually think the result will be schools like Tech being able to buy one or two difference makers. The value to us of a couple of those is found in the fact that there are still 22 people on the field. Can’t sell any jerseys on the bench, and contrary to what seem to think, boosters aren’t going to bankroll an entire roster. They’re rich, but generally not that rich (T. Boone Pickens notwithstanding).

Maybe. I wasn't concerned with boosters as individuals, but rather large fan bases that will support the merchandise sales of their athletes.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Unless you are a Calvin, Zion or the like, you will see nothing than a few peanuts and a monthly check from EA or 2ksports for image/likeness for the video game which may be like $30 or $40

How do you think OL will feel making $40 from EA while Jalen Hurts makes $100K or more?

TheTimes

Jolly Good Fellow
It may be wild for a few years with sham sponsorship deals for athletes at factory programs. But it'll settle down as donors start to realize they're not getting much out of the deal.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It may be wild for a few years with sham sponsorship deals for athletes at factory programs. But it'll settle down as donors start to realize they're not getting much out of the deal.

It will take time to iron out and adjust the details and the parameters of what's workable. I hope it doesn't turn into a whack-a-mole where they fix one abuse only to see another scam take its place. We are in uncharted territory.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't know if I buy this logic. Donors still give tens of millions to schools for athletics facilities and other stuff they don't get immediate results from. How is this that much different?