Is college football near the end as we know it.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

NCAA was always going to have to compromise once this ball got rolling. I thought they might wait for a few more states to jump in, but if they are smart, they will try to get in front of this. It will ensure their survival for a while....until the advocates for actually paying players salaries wins the day.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’m not, though. Most of the items you list aren’t public goods, and without relitigating Wickard v. Filburn, most of the things listed shouldn’t be handled at the federal level.

Regarding the issue of donor states, though, most of those analyses don’t consider the form of the transfer. For example, if a person loves his entire life in, say, Connecticut (because of access to financial markets) and moved to Florida upon retirement, the payment goes to Florida, even though the taxes were paid in CT. It’s not quite as simple as taxes paid minus benefit received, I guess, is what I’m saying.
I do appreciate the civil discourse, honestly. But this seems to be an example of big vs. little government. We all want your government to be little. My government I want big. And while I was born in and have lived in the South most of my life, the fact is we we need to pay our fair share for running a country of 330 million people.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I do appreciate the civil discourse, honestly. But this seems to be an example of big vs. little government. We all want your government to be little. My government I want big. And while I was born in and have lived in the South most of my life, the fact is we we need to pay our fair share for running a country of 330 million people.

Define “fair share”. For decades, taxes were less than 5%.

Is it 35%? 50? 90?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Hard to say. The German Hauptschule model is quite good. Not everyone needs to go to college but everyone needs a trade. I’m not sure Lesbian Studies, Urban Planning, or Parks and Recreation really advance a society.

Some metrics are too simple.
I'd agree with this except it leaves out the facilitating variable: the GDR's strong union movement.

Form what I've read, the high level tech training received by German workers is due in large part to the integration of unions into management of German companies. The high tech traIning is needed by the companies since the only way to keep profit rates up in the face of effective wage demands is by increased productivity. The unions like it because a) it makes it easier for them to negotiate wage increases ("Hey! We're more productive!") and b) it helps guarantee jobs for their members because they are harder to replace ("We can't fire them when we can't replace them!") and it makes it easier for them to integrate into more automated production (Germany has the highest ratio of robots per 10K workers in the world).
Result = low unemployment and a humongous trade advantage in high tech goods.

But we don't have that. What we do have is a good post-secondary school system. Use it or loose it, imho.

ps: You were kidding about Urban Planning and Parks and Recreation, right? Lesbian Studies … well, maybe.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Define “fair share”. For decades, taxes were less than 5%.

Is it 35%? 50? 90?
We are far afield and I am going to go back to football -- and it seems forever since we beat Miami so I am anxious -- but I will tell what "fair" isn't: billionaires paying a lower effective tax rate than the working class. As for 5%, well. It is kinda like those who argue for a huge Navy and base it on the present-day force being smaller than WWII ... without any regard to the technology and armaments the Navy deploys now. (A Navy friend told me once that one U.S. attack submarine could take out he entire Iranian navy in minutes.) My argument I suppose might be populist, but I don't know. Those blessed with more should pay more. I know, sounds mushy. But there it is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'd agree with this except it leaves out the facilitating variable: the GDR's strong union movement.

Form what I've read, the high level tech training received by German workers is due in large part to the integration of unions into management of German companies. The high tech traIning is needed by the companies since the only way to keep profit rates up in the face of effective wage demands is by increased productivity. The unions like it because a) it makes it easier for them to negotiate wage increases ("Hey! We're more productive!") and b) it helps guarantee jobs for their members because they are harder to replace ("We can't fire them when we can't replace them!") and it makes it easier for them to integrate into more automated production (Germany has the highest ratio of robots per 10K workers in the world).
Result = low unemployment and a humongous trade advantage in high tech goods.

But we don't have that. What we do have is a good post-secondary school system. Use it or loose it, imho.

ps: You were kidding about Urban Planning and Parks and Recreation, right? Lesbian Studies … well, maybe.

Having studied and worked in Germany, I have a different view.

The exam system in Germany is extensive and strenuous. If you score low on the Abitur, for example, university is no longer an option.

Scores on tests dictate what schools you can go to and what careers you can pursue.

The Hauptschule graduates are very very good.

Re productivity though, you can do it through education (Switzerland) or volume (China). We’re mixed. But long-term, going in the wrong direction.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We are far afield and I am going to go back to football -- and it seems forever since we beat Miami so I am anxious -- but I will tell what "fair" isn't: billionaires paying a lower effective tax rate than the working class. As for 5%, well. It is kinda like those who argue for a huge Navy and base it on the present-day force being smaller than WWII ... without any regard to the technology and armaments the Navy deploys now. (A Navy friend told me once that one U.S. attack submarine could take out he entire Iranian navy in minutes.) My argument I suppose might be populist, but I don't know. Those blessed with more should pay more. I know, sounds mushy. But there it is.

I worked for the Federal Government as an engineer. Never in my life have I seen the scale of waste I experienced there. The stories I could tell!

Wouldn’t it be better to limit the waste and duplication rather than increase taxes to cover it?

I’m a Georgist. You should never tax income because anything taxed is reduced. And the goal is to maximize national income. No, if you’re going to tax .. tax unearned income. And the whole “fair share” argument is moot.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Face-saving 101...

I don’t have a problem if athletes earn endorsements but ... they should reimburse the AA for their grants, tutors, use of facilities, etc.

Or offer two grants ... one that is a full ride and one that kids are free to earn money, but ... they have to reimburse. If they are that good, any NFL team would cover it.

Let them decide. But accept responsibility for their decision too.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don’t have a problem if athletes earn endorsements but ... they should reimburse the AA for their grants, tutors, use of facilities, etc.

Or offer two grants ... one that is a full ride and one that kids are free to earn money, but ... they have to reimburse. If they are that good, any NFL team would cover it.

Let them decide. But accept responsibility for their decision too.

This is pure foolishness

The same is not being done to the music or any other student on schollie, why do a SA have to?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is pure foolishness

The same is not being done to the music or any other student on schollie, why do a SA have to?

SA’s aren’t on scholarship, they are on grants. They asked the Hill to issue tuition waivers in exchange for representing the school.

If they don’t want the waiver, fine. But you shouldn’t have it both ways.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
SA’s aren’t on scholarship, they are on grants. They asked the Hill to issue tuition waivers in exchange for representing the school.

If they don’t want the waiver, fine. But you shouldn’t have it both ways.

If you for both ways for everyone, you guys just don’t like change.

By your logic, any student whose receives Pell should abide the same rules

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been trying to think about how I'd work this if I were the NCAA. Here's what I'd go with:

Schools can sell jerseys and other gear (footballs, helmets, t shirts, etc) and a limited stock autographed collection through an official NCAA/school portal only. Half the profits go to the athlete, half go to a profit sharing program among other schools in the conference (or maybe rest of d1) to be used for scholarships and student grants.

Rostered athletes can get paid for their likeness for purposes of collegiate sport-wide representation (NCAA video games), all athletes make the same amount from royalties.

Rostered athletes only are eligible, excluding athletes that are deemed academically ineligible or ones that haven't signed yet or aren't eligible for the season (transfers).

Student athletes can sell their name or image to be used, but it cannot leverage or mention the university/program. So Trevor Lawrence could appear on a coca cola billboard, but it can't say Clemson Tigers and he can't wear his uniform.

Probably throw on some booster restrictions on there as well.

How would you guys work this given their 'guidelines'?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
How many jerseys could the Dwags sell with this or that player’s name on the back? [Hint: Check out the racks in Walmart.] Niw, compare that number to the number that the Yellow Jackets might sell? Which would you choose, if immediate money - not 40-year plan money - was important to you?

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How many jerseys could the Dwags sell with this or that player’s name on the back? [Hint: Check out the racks in Walmart.] Niw, compare that number to the number that the Yellow Jackets might sell? Which would you choose, if immediate money - not 40-year plan money - was important to you?

That's kind of a thing already, just under the table. Check out https://gtswarm.com/threads/arrests-coming-due-to-college-bball-kickbacks.13115/

You could always do limited stock or money gets witheld until completion of degree (with some stipulations for transfers and all that) to mitigate it too.