Is college football near the end as we know it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've been trying to think about how I'd work this if I were the NCAA. Here's what I'd go with:

Schools can sell jerseys and other gear (footballs, helmets, t shirts, etc) and a limited stock autographed collection through an official NCAA/school portal only. Half the profits go to the athlete, half go to a profit sharing program among other schools in the conference (or maybe rest of d1) to be used for scholarships and student grants.

Rostered athletes can get paid for their likeness for purposes of collegiate sport-wide representation (NCAA video games), all athletes make the same amount from royalties.

Rostered athletes only are eligible, excluding athletes that are deemed academically ineligible or ones that haven't signed yet or aren't eligible for the season (transfers).

Student athletes can sell their name or image to be used, but it cannot leverage or mention the university/program. So Trevor Lawrence could appear on a coca cola billboard, but it can't say Clemson Tigers and he can't wear his uniform.

Probably throw on some booster restrictions on there as well.

How would you guys work this given their 'guidelines'?

It’s a big problem. Revenue sports enable the non-rev sports. If you have talent and can market yourself ... the better players will go to the better markets.

It’s going to skew things even more.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Don't mean to open another can of worms, but the NCAA just gave all the football factories a recruiting edge. I'm going to use Georgia as an example just because I'm familiar with them. Here are some of eating establishments that cater to them: Bojangles, Papa John, Golden Corral. I live in an area that caters a lot to them. Bulldog used cars, Bulldog Kia, Bulldog towing, the list really goes on and on. Then you got companies like Walmart and Academy Sports. Then you got WSB's television show, Bulldog Gameday. See what I mean. Lot of opportunities for money to be made.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
There’s not any band scholarships unless they changed that in the last 3 years. Maybe 1 scholarship.

This is just not GT. I’m speaking broadly, but let’s take that 1 scholarship member. Should GT have a say over his likeness and being compensated outside GT marching band

I do know one of my friends received a partial schollie to be a drummer.

Point remains, there is a lot of people who control over things that shouldn’t be in their purview.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Don't mean to open another can of worms, but the NCAA just gave all the football factories a recruiting edge. I'm going to use Georgia as an example just because I'm familiar with them. Here are some of eating establishments that cater to them: Bojangles, Papa John, Golden Corral. I live in an area that caters a lot to them. Bulldog used cars, Bulldog Kia, Bulldog towing, the list really goes on and on. Then you got companies like Walmart and Academy Sports. See what I mean.
I will take it a step further. After signing, you go to a big boaster company and sign autographs for 10k

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is just not GT. I’m speaking broadly, but let’s take that 1 scholarship member. Should GT have a say over his likeness and being compensated outside GT marching band

I do know one of my friends received a partial schollie to be a drummer.

Point remains, there is a lot of people who control over things that shouldn’t be in their purview.

That’s not reality.

Let’s say it’s not the AA but GTRI providing the grant. And instead of athletics, it’s to provide input for mechanical properties. And the GTRI sells that research for 20 million.

Should I get a cut? No. My deal was for the grant. Can I sell my knowledge to others? No. The GTRI owns it.

Don’t like the deal? Get another one. But this is going to open Pandora’s Box in a way no one understands.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s not reality.

Let’s say it’s not the AA but GTRI providing the grant. And instead of athletics, it’s to provide input for mechanical properties. And the GTRI sells that research for 20 million.

Should I get a cut? No. My deal was for the grant. Can I sell my knowledge to others? No. The GTRI owns it.

Don’t like the deal? Get another one. But this is going to open Pandora’s Box in a way no one understands.

LOL, dude get a grip. We're talking about paying for likeness, not paying players directly.

If GTRI gives you a grant, and your research makes 20M dollars, and then Wired wants to pay to have you on their cover (let's say to showcase the next big people in tech), should you not be able to get paid for that? That's a more apt comparison.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That’s not reality.

And there is still nothing preventing that student from getting compensation outside of GTRI!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Don't mean to open another can of worms, but the NCAA just gave all the football factories a recruiting edge. I'm going to use Georgia as an example just because I'm familiar with them. Here are some of eating establishments that cater to them: Bojangles, Papa John, Golden Corral. I live in an area that caters a lot to them. Bulldog used cars, Bulldog Kia, Bulldog towing, the list really goes on and on. Then you got companies like Walmart and Academy Sports. Then you got WSB's television show, Bulldog Gameday. See what I mean. Lot of opportunities for money to be made.

yep, the more "popular" your team the more likely your "likeness" (you) will be valuable--this is going to create a HUGE change

Milwaukee

Banned
One way or another this should open the door for the return of EA’s Ncaa College Football
33EBF694-6A7F-4F25-ACF4-DECEDF8CF91D.gif

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I do appreciate the civil discourse, honestly. But this seems to be an example of big vs. little government. We all want your government to be little. My government I want big. And while I was born in and have lived in the South most of my life, the fact is we we need to pay our fair share for running a country of 330 million people.
It definitely is about that, and it’s probably (definitely) beyond the scope of this thread.

I’ll bring it back, if you don’t mind. Let players be paid, and tax them accordingly. It’ll help improve our tax payments to tax receipts ratio.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It definitely is about that, and it’s probably (definitely) beyond the scope of this thread.

I’ll bring it back, if you don’t mind. Let players be paid, and tax them accordingly. It’ll help improve our tax payments to tax receipts ratio.

lol let the corporations go untaxed and tax the workers. Nice touch