Is college football near the end as we know it.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Schools like Georgia, Bama etc have a lot to gain from this. Players can make more at schools with massive fanbases. It will not be a level playing field, the gap between the haves and have nots will only increase.
It hasn't been a level playing field for a while. Bama, ugag, clempson have been pouring $ into facilities, recruiting staff, and players for a long time. I don't see how this changes things. These teams have buying championships or in ugag's case TRYING to buy championships for a while.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just because California allows them to receive money doesn't mean that the NCAA can't still penalize the teams for ineligible players. NCAA is not governed by California law.

The NCAA could take away their wins, or declare their games null and void, but it stands the probability of becoming an empty gesture and thus severely weakening the NCAA. If the NCAA tries to ostracize and isolate all the major California schools it would be a step too far and would most likely backfire on them. I would imagine this to be the most serious threat to the Association to come along in its history. I would guess they will most likely back down in the end, especially since other states will probably follow suit. Could go either way, but my money would be on California over the NCAA. And besides, I'm not sure how much the NCAA is really against this, anyway. It's a little counter-intuitive since they've been favoring the big money institutions for a long time now, anyway.

herb

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA could take away their wins, or declare their games null and void, but it stands the probability of becoming an empty gesture and thus severely weakening the NCAA. If the NCAA tries to ostracize and isolate all the major California schools it would be a step too far and would most likely backfire on them. I would imagine this to be the most serious threat to the Association to come along in its history. I would guess they will most likely back down in the end, especially since other states will probably follow suit. Could go either way, but my money would be on California over the NCAA.

Only it's not California vs, the NCAA anymore. Most of the southern states, and it appears soon to include Georgia, have proposed legislation that is pretty much the same. Florida's takes effect even sooner than California's if it passes.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Only it's not California vs, the NCAA anymore. Most of the southern states, and it appears soon to include Georgia, have proposed legislation that is pretty much the same. Florida's takes effect even sooner than California's if it passes.

Exactly, it's not just California. The NCAA is going to have no choice but to back down. Back down or be replaced by something else.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
How much money does the NCAA make on merchandise and TV licensing?
Take that money and divide it up evenly among all the players. There, players got paid.

Someone posted a while back about how the perennial top twenty teams in generating revenue for the NCAA get slapped on the wrist for violations.
The exception being Southern Cal...but everyone else gets handled with kit gloves while teams like us get clobbered.
This tells me the NCAA will protect their cash cows when possible.

My point is the NCAA is corrupt and maybe a huge shift is needed. The objective was to keep all schools on a level playing field. This will destroy any semblance of that and kill college athletics.

I dont know how all of this will end up shaking out....but if involves raising money we are hosed.

And abolish funding for minor and women’s sports. And there is so much of this free money floating around that there will be no need for contributions to buy tickets or build better facilities.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don’t care if it hurts the NCAA. I care if it hurts college sports.

I have very, very little interest in any pro sport other than golf.

If colleges go down this bogus trail, I hope they can no longer participate in the college arena. They can form some group of 20 or so teams to play in a minor league.

Then let colleges play college ball.

I hate the idiotic way the NCAA conducts much of its business, but this deal will hurt college football.

Folks hatred of the NCAA is going to blind them to what will hurt college athletics.

LeBron James thinks this is a good idea. All you need to know

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, it's not just California. The NCAA is going to have no choice but to back down. Back down or be replaced by something else.

I agree with this, I love College Football, but the NCAA has lost control (if it ever had it) and we are going down a dangerous road.
IMO, as the gap grows between the haves/have nots, college football will start to decline ... outside of their fan bases, who is interested in watching Alabama/Clemson Part V ???

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this, I love College Football, but the NCAA has lost control (if it ever had it) and we are going down a dangerous road.
IMO, as the gap grows between the haves/have nots, college football will start to decline ... outside of their fan bases, who is interested in watching Alabama/Clemson Part V ???

I think you may well be right. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing, just that it's hard to see anyone stopping this train. Maybe it won't be quite so bad as we think. The big money schools already rule the roost - maybe it won't really make that much difference. I can see Georgia Tech players getting endorsements down the road.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think you may well be right. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good thing, just that it's hard to see anyone stopping this train. Maybe it won't be quite so bad as we think. The big money schools already rule the roost - maybe it won't really make that much difference. I can see Georgia Tech players getting endorsements down the road.

My concern is that like everything else, coaches pay, facility dollars, recruiting staff, gray shirting, etc., it has to somehow be capped and not just be "cart blanch" or the big money schools will run away with it.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
My concern is that like everything else, coaches pay, facility dollars, recruiting staff, gray shirting, etc., it has to somehow be capped and not just be "cart blanch" or the big money schools will run away with it.
I think eventually there will be a new version of DlAA that they could name FBS ll and teams like Georgia Tech would be in it.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
My point to so many on this board is that trying to compare today's environment with even 2010 is somewhat dubious, but trying to compare today with 1990 is RIDICULOUS. It is a new world of factory minor league NFL football and $$.

Coach CGC's task of trying to recruit against this environment today is MUCH more difficult that it would have been in the late 1990s or early 2000s. I am rooting for him, but I will be greatly surprised if he can recruit to a level that gives us a fighting chance against the factories. Against the teams in the ACC coastal? Yes, most likely we can recruit as well or better than them, but I really don't know if most on this board will be satisfied with that, if we can't ever beat the factories. The factories today are not the same as the factories of yesteryear.

Although, it is true when the coaching staff is terrible and/or the culture of the program disintegrates (see FSU), we can compete with less talent.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Well, they're already running away with it. We can hope that all this will spur some reform down the road to make the playing field a bit more level. I wouldn't bet on it, but we can hope.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The single most important stat that a college football coach will be able to pitch to a high school kid will be how many jerseys with his name on it can be sold to the college’s fan base. The recruit’s agent will be calculating sports merchandising deals and will steer the kid to the colleges with fans who buy lots of gear. Woof, woof, woof...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The single most important stat that a college football coach will be able to pitch to a high school kid will be how many jerseys with his name on it can be sold to the college’s fan base. The recruit’s agent will be calculating sports merchandising deals and will steer the kid to the colleges with fans who buy lots of gear. Woof, woof, woof...

Tangential to the subject, but this may turn out to be yet another good reason for us to take our recruiting national and look for solid players who are interested in what we have to offer education-wise as one of the few P-5 schools excelling in engineering. We need to get out more, anyway. If smart players are looking down the road they might be more interested in long-term rewards that are more important that t-shirt sales. I hope.