IRISH ROAD TRIP

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
It definitely should be the first week of the season. If it was Labor day or before....I would seriously consider taking a week or two and go.......it would not be worth the travel costs mid season and taking the little guy out of school

Travel to Ireland will be cheaper deep in the Fall I'd imagine.

Animal02

Banned
To add to that, I"d recommend flying into Shannon, then going from Limerick through the Southwest, along the Southern coast, and back up to Dublin. You can do that all before the game in less than a week. Renting a car is an absolute must.

If you fly into Shannon......first go north to the Cliffs of Moor, then south.....Ring of Kerry is a full day......I would recommend staying in Kinsale.......beautiful fishing village with a lot of history. From there you can hit Cork and Blarney Castle. the Rock of Chashell, maybe Waterford before hitting Dublin.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If you fly into Shannon......first go north to the Cliffs of Moor, then south.....Ring of Kerry is a full day......I would recommend staying in Kinsale.......beautiful fishing village with a lot of history. From there you can hit Cork and Blarney Castle. the Rock of Chashell, maybe Waterford before hitting Dublin.

Good itinerary - definitely travel to the Ring of Kerry!

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

Pssshhh...can't leave out Kilkenny. Finest example of a medieval town in Ireland. Good point with ring of kerry.

Tech needs to confirm this thing in a hurry so I can get on the charter list. (we better have a charter over there). I'm going all out on this trip. Had planned on Prague, Budapest trip but this changes everything. Perhaps I can convince my outfit to open an office in Ireland, surely there is a bunch of unemployed software devs over there looking for work.

Got plenty of time to plan this bad boy out.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
It definitely should be the first week of the season. If it was Labor day or before....I would seriously consider taking a week or two and go.......it would not be worth the travel costs mid season and taking the little guy out of school

First week of the season would be the best to limit the impact the travel & time changes would have on academics. However, the article in the OP indicated that the late August date used in 2014 caused a problem with the stadium's local league's games so this BC-GT game would probably be in October.

Animal02

Banned
First week of the season would be the best to limit the impact the travel & time changes would have on academics. However, the article in the OP indicated that the late August date used in 2014 caused a problem with the stadium's local league's games so this BC-GT game would probably be in October.
I read that too....but for all concerned it should not be in the middle of the season. You need at least one day just to adjust to the time change. There should be one day of practice there. If you are going to drag kids over there, they should at least let them experience the country a little bit.///not just fly in and fly out.

Animal02

Banned
Man, Tech fans can argue about anything. Personally, I can't wait to see the team in Dublin. I mean, how many fans get to experience something like this? I love it.
Who is arguing? I think it would be great.......but middle of the season there is no way I could go.......grade school kid and wife that is a professor.........beginning of the season and I could easily convince the wife to do a 2 week vacation before classes start.

So you think, in addition to the extra travel expense, we are going to treat them to a bowl like experience? Who pays?

Not totally against it, but NO WAY this will be some boon to recruiting.
Totally disagree. I think it would be great for recruiting. Have you heard of any other team in the state of Georgia playing a game overseas? It would be something to be proud of and to flaunt.

Well I'm against this, not because I think it's a bad experience but because I wanted to watch the Jackets play in Boston again! We were scheduled to be up here I think last year before the new additions screwed up the schedule. Come on guys, don't take this away from me!
So go to Dublin. It's not that expensive a trip. I will certainly plan on being there. Dublin is a great city to visit.