IRISH ROAD TRIP

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting, however I think that SA should not have to deal with something like this in the middle of a season semester.

Pro football - no problem, but this gimmick has no place in CFB.

/sourpuss :yuck:

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting, however I think that SA should not have to deal with something like this in the middle of a season semester.

/sourpuss

"deal with it"? A part of a college education is exposure. Some of these kids have never left their state or the southeast, or haven't even been on a plane before they joined Tech. Now they can travel to another country? Get some exposure to other cultures or ways of living (even though its not a huge difference)?

This is HUGE for these young guys. I love it.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
"deal with it"? A part of a college education is exposure. Some of these kids have never left their state or the southeast, or haven't even been on a plane before they joined Tech. Now they can travel to another country? Get some exposure to other cultures or ways of living (even though its not a huge difference)?

This is HUGE for these young guys. I love it.

So you think, in addition to the extra travel expense, we are going to treat them to a bowl like experience? Who pays?

Not totally against it, but NO WAY this will be some boon to recruiting.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
So you think, in addition to the extra travel expense, we are going to treat them to a bowl like experience? Who pays?

I didn't say anything about recruiting. I do think they'll get over there earlier than usual travel dates, yes. They have to adjust to the time difference. I'd also venture to guess that the cost is subsidized by somebody, whether its the ACC, Dublin City Council, Ireland Sports something or other, I don't know.

Also, why do you say in NO WAY this will be a boon to recruiting? This game gets national exposure every year.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't say anything about recruiting. I do think they'll get over there earlier than usual travel dates, yes. They have to adjust to the time difference. I'd also venture to guess that the cost is subsidized by somebody, whether its the ACC, Dublin City Council, Ireland Sports something or other, I don't know.

Also, why do you say in NO WAY this will be a boon to recruiting? This game gets national exposure every year.

I agree. I have hard time making an argument that this would not help recruiting. If I'm a 17 yr old kid and the recruiter says "and BTW, you get an all expenses paid trip to Europe for a few days", that would definetly be a positive.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow

Not sure what you are trying to say. How can playing a nationally televised game in Dublin not help recruiting? National exposure (TV), opportunity to travel and see another part of the world. Man I think even I could sell that to recruits. Would love to hear reactions from some of our current recruits or parents of recruits on this. What do you think flea?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Well I'm against this, not because I think it's a bad experience but because I wanted to watch the Jackets play in Boston again! We were scheduled to be up here I think last year before the new additions screwed up the schedule. Come on guys, don't take this away from me!

Animal02

Banned

/sourpuss :yuck:
It definitely should be the first week of the season. If it was Labor day or before....I would seriously consider taking a week or two and go.......it would not be worth the travel costs mid season and taking the little guy out of school

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
The Guiness is definitely better when it is fresh in Dublin. It is a wonderful country. If you haven't been and do go......spend at least a week there. Rent a car and drive. Stay at B&Bs

To add to that, I"d recommend flying into Shannon, then going from Limerick through the Southwest, along the Southern coast, and back up to Dublin. You can do that all before the game in less than a week. Renting a car is an absolute must.