IRISH ROAD TRIP

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My first question about an event like this is whether we take full band and cheerleaders etc on such a trip. If it is just a watered down version with a 12 person pep band and 4 cheerleaders, and then a smallish crowd on top of that (bound to be, ho many GT or BC fans can really make that trip?), it will not feel like a true college football game to me.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say anything about recruiting. I do think they'll get over there earlier than usual travel dates, yes. They have to adjust to the time difference. I'd also venture to guess that the cost is subsidized by somebody, whether its the ACC, Dublin City Council, Ireland Sports something or other, I don't know.

Also, why do you say in NO WAY this will be a boon to recruiting? This game gets national exposure every year.

Yep, those 9 am KOs are ratings slam dunks

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what you are trying to say. How can playing a nationally televised game in Dublin not help recruiting? National exposure (TV), opportunity to travel and see another part of the world. Man I think even I could sell that to recruits. Would love to hear reactions from some of our current recruits or parents of recruits on this. What do you think flea?

Heard the same stuff a out Th nite games

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
My first question about an event like this is whether we take full band and cheerleaders etc on such a trip. If it is just a watered down version with a 12 person pep band and 4 cheerleaders, and then a smallish crowd on top of that (bound to be, ho many GT or BC fans can really make that trip?), it will not feel like a true college football game to me.[/QUOTE

Wonder how many on the Hill will get a paid for by GTAA trip from this?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Man, Tech fans can argue about anything. Personally, I can't wait to see the team in Dublin. I mean, how many fans get to experience something like this? I love it.

It is not arguing when some have legitimate concerns about the cost of this and when it is played.

If anything other than 1st or 2nd game i say no.

Want to see financials on it as well and how long kids will be there.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Totally disagree. I think it would be great for recruiting. Have you heard of any other team in the state of Georgia playing a game overseas? It would be something to be proud of and to flaunt.

First time Cremins had GT in Hawaii they mailed post cards to every prospect saying "Aloha from Hawaii! Wish you were here."

Did it work? I just do not remember. But I can't imagine it hurt recruiting.

What's the chances of a game in Paris or Rome (Italy not GA or NY) for 2017? You know, "when in Rome...........!"

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
We took a trip to Ireland last year and I would guess that you could make a week long trip of it for no more than the cost of an Orange Bowl trip (if flying to Florida from the midwest or west coast). Also given the amount of advance notice of this Ireland game as compared to a bowl game, airfare and accommodations could be cheaper than booking less than 30 days in advance for the Orange Bowl during this time of year.

I agree with all the previous comments on here about where to go and how to do it. I know I will make a point of being in Ireland for this game and I have a feeling many others will treat this as an "event" - much like a bowl game - and it will probably be well-attended by fans of both teams.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If you fly into Shannon......first go north to the Cliffs of Moor, then south.....Ring of Kerry is a full day......I would recommend staying in Kinsale.......beautiful fishing village with a lot of history. From there you can hit Cork and Blarney Castle. the Rock of Chashell, maybe Waterford before hitting Dublin.
Between the Cliffs of Moor and Ring of Kerry is the Dingle Peninsula, don't overlook it, it's a must see in my book. My wife and I rode horses there and stood in the same spot as Tom Cruise in Far and Away. Street signs are written in both english and irish and the locals speak both. It's like going back in time.

Animal02

Banned
Between the Cliffs of Moor and Ring of Kerry is the Dingle Peninsula, don't overlook it, it's a must see in my book. My wife and I rode horses there and stood in the same spot as Tom Cruise in Far and Away. Street signs are written in both english and irish and the locals speak both. It's like going back in time.

Ireland was very kid friendly as well.