Interview with Georgia Tech Head Coach Geoff Collins - 4/15/20

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What’s funny too me is those who are upset with last year are going to be forced to double down next season (whenever that is) because our next season will also consist of scrimmage games. Why do I say that? Because Collins is in the process of building a program not a short term quick win that isn’t sustainable. We will see all 4 QB’s play next season because he has to see what each player can do. If he doesn’t and we lose 2 to the portal that would not be good for recruiting. Same with RB. We’ll play all 3 RB’s. Same with WR’s. Point being, Collins is building not worried about wins and losses. TStan is clearly on board as Collins and TStan have both stated that was the conversation before the hire.

Remember how Collins methodically built his staff over months instead of making the big splash by a rush hire. No one cares about that time now. When GT is winning consistently with a recruiting pipeline no one will care that 2019 and 2020 were ugly. And even by building up I think we can be competitive because outside the top 15 type teams everyone is in the same boat. What I see is GT becoming a program that players love to play in and is getting the attention of high end recruits. The fact that Collins has already landed guys like Jamious Griffin, Gibbs, and Sims along with more 4 stars than we’ve seen in a decade is all the proof you need.

If any GT fan is looking at wins and losses right now then all I can do is give you a hug and laugh. GT will own the Coastal soon but not right now.
First if you play all 4 QB'S it doesn't matter you will still lose 1 or 2 after next season , they are not dumb they will know how they fall 3 freshman at QB you will not be able to keep all 3 . Running backs yes you can if they all get some playing time.
As far as the coaches the reason he waited because their season was not over. Most came from his staff and he wanted them to finish the season. Same thing with CBK he could not announce any thing till their season was over.
Last as for no one caring about this being season being ugly I do think lot of fans do, I don't think we will win 11 games but I do think we can win 6. I just want to see a better offense and better play calling. We have some good OL coming in missing spring practice will hurt but I have to believe their not dumb and will catch on after a few games.
I like CGC but anyone that believes he don't want to win is wrong. Win at least 6 games show Improvement and it makes his job a little easier to recruit if we show improvement.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sure, we’ll lose some QB’s but we don’t want to be Ohio State and lose the best one. Collins will use the next season to determine which ones to keep and which ones to let go. Just like last season. Worrying about wins and losses right now is ridiculous for a program that has recruited in the 40’s and 50’s for a long time and had a total staff turnover. Collins stopped the bleeding on the recruiting end but it will take 3 cycles to get us the depth and talent needed so we aren’t panicking over Duke’s of the world. I do think we can win 6 games but I’m not worried about any win or loss right now so if we win 4 or win 8 it won’t change my perspective. Collins is building this thing the right way so I can put up with a few rebuilding years if it means we become a consistent Coastal competitor after a couple of years.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sure, we’ll lose some QB’s but we don’t want to be Ohio State and lose the best one.

My brother went to OSU so I know a little about that than maybe most here. Burrow had an injury that kept him out of the spring camp iirc. The guy who beat him out lead OSU to a 13 -1 record, finished 3rd in the Heisman, and was the no.15 draft pick after just one year as the starter and is playing in the NFL. Burrow was decent as a junior at LSU and NOBODY saw him having the year he had last year. So, these decisions look clear in the rear view mirror (possibly) but nobody at OSU was disappointed with Haskins as their QB nor upset with the coaching staff. Nor was it clear what Burrow was going to be then. Who knows what Haskin would have done given 2 years as a starter. Bottom line, that's a nice position to be in when you have that much depth that you can lose a Joe Burrow and still win 13 games with a first round draft pick.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ring Lardner had Collins in mind with Alibi Ike.
You like Lardner? Me too. "Alibi Ike" is one of the best sports stories ever written. And, yes, Collins does sound a lot like Ike after every game.

My favorite Lardner story: A fellow journalist come over to his desk one Monday and says, "Hey, Ring. Let's go have a couple of drinks tonight!" Lardner replied, "Can't. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday."

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My brother went to OSU so I know a little about that than maybe most here. Burrow had an injury that kept him out of the spring camp iirc. The guy who beat him out lead OSU to a 13 -1 record, finished 3rd in the Heisman, and was the no.15 draft pick after just one year as the starter and is playing in the NFL. Burrow was decent as a junior at LSU and NOBODY saw him having the year he had last year. So, these decisions look clear in the rear view mirror (possibly) but nobody at OSU was disappointed with Haskins as their QB nor upset with the coaching staff. Nor was it clear what Burrow was going to be then. Who knows what Haskin would have done given 2 years as a starter. Bottom line, that's a nice position to be in when you have that much depth that you can lose a Joe Burrow and still win 13 games with a first round draft pick.

That was just an example. Ohio State always has elite QB’s so them letting Burrows go is no big deal. The point for GT is we don’t have that luxury. If Collins picks the wrong guy it could set us back 2 years. That is why the next season we should see a lot of 4 guys or at least the ones still in contention after pre-season practice because if Collins anoints one and its the wrong guy it not only hurts the win/loss record but will hurt Collins reputation, hence recruiting. Graham showed some growth, but it’s really hard to judge him because we have nothing recently to compare him too. I can see the two freshmen being ahead him after playing in the spread 4 straight years in high school. Yates is a total unknown. I remember when Godsey first took the field, post Hamilton, and even though he had none of the physical tools of Joe, he was a baller. I can still remember watching him make play after play and realizing that GT finally had a legit QB follow another legit QB. That has been rare for GT. I just want a baller at QB who sees the game. And it’s going to take many games for it to emerge. GT has the time to do it right and I hope Collins and TStan do take it slow and methodical. Then we can play Clemson every year in the ACCCG.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
That was just an example. Ohio State always has elite QB’s so them letting Burrows go is no big deal. The point for GT is we don’t have that luxury. If Collins picks the wrong guy it could set us back 2 years. That is why the next season we should see a lot of 4 guys or at least the ones still in contention after pre-season practice because if Collins anoints one and its the wrong guy it not only hurts the win/loss record but will hurt Collins reputation, hence recruiting. Graham showed some growth, but it’s really hard to judge him because we have nothing recently to compare him too. I can see the two freshmen being ahead him after playing in the spread 4 straight years in high school. Yates is a total unknown. I remember when Godsey first took the field, post Hamilton, and even though he had none of the physical tools of Joe, he was a baller. I can still remember watching him make play after play and realizing that GT finally had a legit QB follow another legit QB. That has been rare for GT. I just want a baller at QB who sees the game. And it’s going to take many games for it to emerge. GT has the time to do it right and I hope Collins and TStan do take it slow and methodical. Then we can play Clemson every year in the ACCCG.
You do understand Godsey had a legitimate offensive coordinator who called plays for him. I have no idea if Graham will be a good QB , hard to judge anyone playing behind that OL last year.I am a little leery of him after he said he didn't practice as hard each week. We needed to have spring practice but I guess all the teams will be in the same boat.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. That is why our next season is another rebuilding year, ie. play everyone and see who emerges so when we are truly competitive we have the right horses. If our OL doesn’t get fixed (I have faith in Key) then our QB doesn’t matter because not one of them would look good/consistent behind what we had last year. Our OLine issues are the main reason I’m treating next season as a scrimmage. We aren’t challenging for the Coastal until our OLine is equal to our peers in size, speed, and consistency. UNC will walk away with the Coastal next season. But we should be ready to compete for it on 2021 if we have a season in 2020.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. That is why our next season is another rebuilding year, ie. play everyone and see who emerges so when we are truly competitive we have the right horses. If our OL doesn’t get fixed (I have faith in Key) then our QB doesn’t matter because not one of them would look good/consistent behind what we had last year. Our OLine issues are the main reason I’m treating next season as a scrimmage. We aren’t challenging for the Coastal until our OLine is equal to our peers in size, speed, and consistency. UNC will walk away with the Coastal next season. But we should be ready to compete for it on 2021 if we have a season in 2020.
I'm sure paying a lot for scrimmage games.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It is no slam at Collins, but with what Brown has going on in Chapel Hill, Tech won't compete for the Coastal in 2021. I am not sure anybody but UNC will, and in 2021 they might be primed to give Clemson a battle for the conference. Howell will be in his third year starting (if they play this year, a huge if -- while Clemson will have a first year starter with the presumed departure of Lawrence.)

Incidentally, as an item of interest only, Clemson just lost a 5-star commitment for '21 -- the first they have lost in more than five years I think. He wanted to take all his official visits because he had "earned them". Swinney said no, you and Clemson have commitments -- you are coming and we stopped recruiting for your position -- and echoing a sentiment from Paul Johnson long ago with a QB commitment wanting to visit Auburn, essentially said "get on that plane and you're gone." Johnson got a lot of flack though most on the board thought it a reasonable position, but hardly anybody in Clemson has even made note of it. (The kid signed with Auburn, busted out, and if I recall had some brush with the law.)

But the main point is that Brown hit the ground running with a good class, though late, got an outstanding class for 2021, and is off to a great start for '22. GT just has a long way to go to compete with that. That being said, the season ain't no scrimmage. I want to see us compete.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We will compete. I call it a scrimmage season because our staff has no idea which QB is best. They have no idea which OLinemen are going to be big and nasty or big and wimpy. The only thing we truly know is we have some good WR’s and DB’s. The rest will be determined through playing games and rotating bodies just like last year. Hence it’s a scrimmage. We’ll win some games but we are still too deep in the hole to have any real expectations. I’m enjoying watching the process unfold. It’s interesting to see a program being built. It doesn’t happen to often. Usually schools go from one 6-8 win coach to another 6-8 win coach. I’m enjoy watching GT make the decision to not take the safe route and reach for something. As I’ve said often, if it doesn’t work there are plenty of retreads who could win us 6-7 games a year. That’s why I loved the Johnson hire and the Collins hire. They both don’t play it safe.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I actually like the Mack Brown's hire at UNC. I think it is good for the ACC. Yes they had a freshamn QB last year, but guess what... We have 2 Freshman QBs this year.... I am shocked that folks are not more excited about this.... We have a legit QBs (Haven't had that since since Joe Hamm and the Goose) Saying Georgia Tech will not be able to compete in 2021 is staright ridiculous! Sims & Gleason are the best QB on the Flats since Joe & George!

JEFF SIMS
Rated as a four-star prospect by Rivals, 247Sports and ESPN … A member of the prestigious Rivals250, 247Sports 247 and ESPN300 listsTabbed as the No. 6-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the nation and the No. 22-ranked player in the state of Florida by ESPN … Earned recognition as one of the nation’s “Elite 11” quarterbacks in the prestigious annual QB competition … Ranked as one of the top 15 recruits in Georgia Tech history by 247Sports … Three-year starter at quarterback … Amassed more than 5,000 passing yards, 1,200 rushing yards and 55 total touchdowns in his prep career

WATCH: Jeff Sims throws in Elite 11 Pro Day
Link
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-commit-jeff-sims-throws-in-elite-11-pro-day/

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I actually like the Mack Brown's hire at UNC. I think it is good for the ACC. Yes they had a freshamn QB last year, but guess what... We have 2 Freshman QBs this year.... I am shocked that folks are not more excited about this.... We have a legit QBs (Haven't had that since since Joe Hamm and the Goose) Saying Georgia Tech will not be able to compete in 2021 is staright ridiculous! Sims & Gleason are the best QB on the Flats since Joe & George!

JEFF SIMS
Rated as a four-star prospect by Rivals, 247Sports and ESPN … A member of the prestigious Rivals250, 247Sports 247 and ESPN300 listsTabbed as the No. 6-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the nation and the No. 22-ranked player in the state of Florida by ESPN … Earned recognition as one of the nation’s “Elite 11” quarterbacks in the prestigious annual QB competition … Ranked as one of the top 15 recruits in Georgia Tech history by 247Sports … Three-year starter at quarterback … Amassed more than 5,000 passing yards, 1,200 rushing yards and 55 total touchdowns in his prep career

WATCH: Jeff Sims throws in Elite 11 Pro Day
Link
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-commit-jeff-sims-throws-in-elite-11-pro-day/
The difference is their quarterback is Sam Howell. Now, I am picking at you, but: we gave the guy a 7-year contract because it was a, you know, massive rebuilding job, the biggest college history, and now we are saying we will compete in the third year? Consistency and hobgoblins and all that are at play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
lol not exactly the same scenario bud.

LOL

So, in your opinion, in some scenarios you can be reasonable and appreciate nuance to understand the bigger picture, but in other scenarios you can emotionally rant because things don't turn out as you want?

My mistake, I thought you were a dude.

... It's a joke

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what planet Coach calls home...I quit listening when he said we were competitive in all of our games during the last half of the season.
Sorry, not sorry for having crap like this ring hollow to me.
I hope he proves me wrong but right now he is 100% FOS.

We look at things as fans-

CGC is paid big bucks to look at things as a coach.

There is a difference.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Not sure what planet Coach calls home...I quit listening when he said we were competitive in all of our games during the last half of the season.
Sorry, not sorry for having crap like this ring hollow to me.
I hope he proves me wrong but right now he is 100% FOS.
Hes recruiting!!!!