Interview with Georgia Tech Head Coach Geoff Collins - 4/15/20

Scubapro

Banned
Not sure what planet Coach calls home...I quit listening when he said we were competitive in all of our games during the last half of the season.
Sorry, not sorry for having crap like this ring hollow to me.
I hope he proves me wrong but right now he is 100% FOS.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what planet Coach calls home...I quit listening when he said we were competitive in all of our games during the last half of the season.
Sorry, not sorry for having crap like this ring hollow to me.
I hope he proves me wrong but right now he is 100% FOS.
“Yeah we looked like sh*t all year. I came into this program with no help. We didn’t even have enough scholarship linemen to avoid starting walk-ons in almost every game this year. All of the QBs on the roster looked like they had never even played the position before. The defensive side of the ball was tremendously undersized and outmanned all year. Really just a season that was doomed from the start.”

Do you want him to say something like that? I’m not sure what games you watched, but all but 1 of the last 5 was competitive (Virginia Tech). Let’s not forget that at the end of the first half of COFH the score was 17-7. If Tech had anybody capable of making a field goal it would’ve been 17-10, and possibly 17-13 or even tied. The final score of the Georgia game was not indicative of how that game should’ve turned out IMO. A lot of Georgia’s points were scored when it was already garbage time. The VT game on the other hand was pretty embarrassing from the start. The VT egg and Citadel loss are inexcusable. Everything else is on a clean slate.

Scubapro

Banned
“Yeah we looked like sh*t all year. I came into this program with no help. We didn’t even have enough scholarship linemen to avoid starting walk-ons in almost every game this year. All of the QBs on the roster looked like they had never even played the position before. The defensive side of the ball was tremendously undersized and outmanned all year. Really just a season that was doomed from the start.”

Do you want him to say something like that? I’m not sure what games you watched, but all but 1 of the last 5 was competitive (Virginia Tech). Let’s not forget that at the end of the first half of COFH the score was 17-7. If Tech had anybody capable of making a field goal it would’ve been 17-10, and possibly 17-13 or even tied. The final score of the Georgia game was not indicative of how that game should’ve turned out IMO. A lot of Georgia’s points were scored when it was already garbage time. The VT game on the other hand was pretty embarrassing from the start. The VT egg and Citadel loss are inexcusable. Everything else is on a clean slate.

I expect him to show a little bit of honesty. Yeah, I expect some coach speak. But jeeze. There is a difference between coach speak and delusion.
No, we had zero chance in the UGag and VippySu games...ok 17-13 at half...does that make you feel better? It would have made zero impact on the outcome of the game and they would have still scored 50+ on us.
I cant stand him because he and his staff treated last year like a 12 week scrimmage and it showed.
BTW... It wasn't the biggest rebuild in the history of college football. That honor would have to go to SMU.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I expect him to show a little bit of honesty. Yeah, I expect some coach speak. But jeeze. There is a difference between coach speak and delusion.
No, we had zero chance in the UGag and VippySu games...ok 17-13 at half...does that make you feel better? It would have made zero impact on the outcome of the game and they would have still scored 50+ on us.
I cant stand him because he and his staff treated last year like a 12 week scrimmage and it showed.
BTW... It wasn't the biggest rebuild in the history of college football. That honor would have to go to SMU.

Yep, it wasn't a good yr by almost any measure but it wasn't worse than a realist should have expected.When you TO START lose your best Off AND DEf lineman from already weak fronts ,the fate was sealed.
I thought 3 wins and really I would rather have the uM win than a Citadel win. Also it will take a while to walk the talk I'm afeared-- if he can..

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You don’t think the ultimate high of scoring a TD and recovering an onside kick to have a chance of going to the half of a one score game, to the ultimate low of not moving the ball and missing a FG had any impact on the game? Zero? None at all? Would it still have been a long shot to win? Absolutely, there’s hardly any chance Tech wins that game regardless of what the score was. But it’s absolutely more possible it results in a final score a helluva lot more respectable that 52-7. If you can’t agree we were competitive in the first half of that game I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m sorry you don’t like the new coach because he had nothing to work with and went 3-9 instead of maybe 4-8. Im not sure what’s delusional about stating a fact. Georgia Tech was more competitive in the second half of the year than the first half.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m not sure what games you watched, but all but 1 of the last 5 was competitive (Virginia Tech). Let’s not forget that at the end of the first half of COFH the score was 17-7. If Tech had anybody capable of making a field goal it would’ve been 17-10, and possibly 17-13 or even tied. The final score of the Georgia game was not indicative of how that game should’ve turned out IMO. A lot of Georgia’s points were scored when it was already garbage time. The VT game on the other hand was pretty embarrassing from the start. The VT egg and Citadel loss are inexcusable. Everything else is on a clean slate.

There is no universe where we were competitive in the uga game. uga fumbled the ball three away three times and Pickens missed most of the game. Swift was injured for them as well. With all of that going in our favor, we managed 139 yards of offense. So while I agree with your point about the coach speak in interviews, to call that gme competitive is a farce.

Also, I am not sure where you are starting "garbage time" as they were up 38-7 with 4 minutes left in the third quarter.

Scubapro

Banned
You don’t think the ultimate high of scoring a TD and recovering an onside kick to have a chance of going to the half of a one score game, to the ultimate low of not moving the ball and missing a FG had any impact on the game? Zero? None at all? Would it still have been a long shot to win? Absolutely, there’s hardly any chance Tech wins that game regardless of what the score was. But it’s absolutely more possible it results in a final score a helluva lot more respectable that 52-7. If you can’t agree we were competitive in the first half of that game I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m sorry you don’t like the new coach because he had nothing to work with and went 3-9 instead of maybe 4-8. Im not sure what’s delusional about stating a fact. Georgia Tech was more competitive in the second half of the year than the first half.
Being competitive means you have a shot to win the game not we had a respectable score at the half.
Yes, we were at a big disadvantage in regards to talent but the talent I am most worried about is in the press box. Very few of his assistants have much experience other than Key and Patenaude. The sad part about it is Patenaude has the most experience and is probably the least innovative on the staff.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There is no universe where we were competitive in the uga game. uga fumbled the ball three away three times and Pickens missed most of the game. Swift was injured for them as well. With all of that going in our favor, we managed 139 yards of offense. So while I agree with your point about the coach speak in interviews, to call that gme competitive is a farce.

Also, I am not sure where you are starting "garbage time" as they were up 38-7 with 4 minutes left in the third quarter.
Yeah. I’m not surprised Techhad that few yards of total offense. Considering Georgia had one of the best statistical defensive in the country. It’s almost like, when the second half started, the wind had been sucked out of Tech’s team for some reason. Like something big happened. I don’t know what that could’ve been. Not capitalizing on forced turnovers? Nah. That couldn’t be it. You said Georgia just fumbled it away apparently on purpose 3 times. Missing a field goal to make it a one score game? Nah. Game was never going to be competitive anyway. Wouldn’t have mattered what the score was. Not capitalizing on a successful onside kick? Nah. Those are lame. Never help anything.

Look. I’m not saying that 2019 COFH was some sort of heroic performance in the first half. The offensive side of the ball was pretty pathetic. But given Georgia’s strength was defense, and we basically had no offense anyway, the game was respectable, and could’ve been waaayyy closer had the first half not ended on that extreme low note. If you don’t believe me, take a gander at the game stats from the South Carolina vs. Georgia game compared to the Tech game.
(USC vs. UGA on primary bullet points, Tech vs UGA on secondaries)

Total yards
  • USC: 297
  • UGA: 468
    • GT: 139
    • UGA: 500
First downs
  • USC: 16 (5-18 on 3rd down)
  • UGA: 30 (9-18 on 3rd down)
    • GT: 7 (3-17 on 3rd down)
    • UGA: 26 (7-13 on 3rd down)
Penalties
  • USC: 11 for 68 yards
  • UGA: 6 for 60 yards
    • GT: 4 for 34 yards
    • UGA: 0 for 0 yards
Time of Possession
  • USC: 23:56
  • UGA: 36:04
    • GT: 29:48
    • UGA: 30:12
Turnovers
  • USC: 0
  • UGA: 4
    • GT: 1
    • UGA: 3
Field goals
  • USC: 2-4
  • UGA: 1-2
    • GT: 0-1
    • UGA: 0-0
So why, given these numbers, was South Carolina not only considered competitive, but they actually won the game? While Tech wasn’t competitive at all? The only major difference is in total yards. The reason the score was so much worse was because in the second half (once Tech was out of life) Georgia began getting huge chunks of yards and had multiple gash plays on every drive. Tech’s offense was really about the same as it was in the first half, but the defense was both completely gassed (lots of 3 and outs) and had no will to fight. I understand why you guys are saying the game wasn’t competitive. But you’re also undermining the fact that 2 important drives/moments (3 and out after onside kick, and missed FG) created the atmosphere in both locker rooms for the rout to occur. LSU vs. Oklahoma was essentially the same thing. Oklahoma was playing right there with the Tigahs until a missed pass interference call on a critical 3rd down turned the whole game around. Obviously LSU was better than OU, and Georgia was better than Tech. But shifts in momentum opened up the door for the better teams to completely dominate the deflated teams, when in reality the games should’ve been closer than what the scoreboards showed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You said Georgia just fumbled it away apparently on purpose 3 times.

No I didn't. Poor reading on your part does not make a bad assertion on my part. I said that they fumbled the ball away three times. Fact. I said Swift was injured and missed most of the game. Fact. I said Pickens missed the first half and most of the second. Fact.

Given those advantages, we still weren't anywhere close to competitive.

So why, given these numbers, was South Carolina not only considered competitive, but they actually won the game? While Tech wasn’t competitive at all? The only major difference is in total yards.

No. Of the 16 possessions Tech had, these were the result:

12 3 and outs totaling 25 yards
1 5 and out 25 yards
1 Missed FG 8 plays 32 yards
1 TD 17 yards
1 End of Game Drive 8 plays 40 yards

99 yards prior to the garbage time drive to end the game with uga up 52-7. The difference was well beyond the total yards, it was the offenes ability to even move the ball for 13/15 non EoG possessions.

Tell me again how we were in any way competitive in this game...

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
Tobias to Corner. Wow. Interesting.

/

I had a group project in one of my classes with one of the Redshirt Freshman this semester (ya know before Coronavirus), and he told me that in every scrimmage Tobias had played in, he had a pic 6.

Probably some hyperbole, but from the way he was talking, Tobias was already one of the best corners in the room.

Scubapro

Banned
I had a group project in one of my classes with one of the Redshirt Freshman this semester (ya know before Coronavirus), and he told me that in every scrimmage Tobias had played in, he had a pic 6.

Probably some hyperbole, but from the way he was talking, Tobias was already one of the best corners in the room.
Should this be good or bad? Our back up QB is getting pick sixes against our new quarterbacks?

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
Should this be good or bad? Our back up QB is getting pick sixes against our new quarterbacks?

Glass half full vs glass half empty; it’s not like we know which QBs they were (could be the same one, could be all different ones), and that conversation was at the beginning of March. I’d prefer if our QBs make mistakes in their progressions in March so that they don’t make those same mistakes come whenever we see football again. And if our defense is showing them that they’re making mistakes - and our defense is learning how to capitalize on mistakes somewhat more consistently - I think we’re better off for it.

I am VERY pro-CGC as a student; I was one of a lucky 60~ students at an IFC meeting that CGC hosted for us in the team conference room when he took over as HC. He said a lot of things in that room, a lot of it “coach-talk” like people in this chat have said. But you can’t see that passion in person and not have full confidence in him, given a few more recruiting cycles and time with the team.

You can say what you want about the 2019 season; it sucked for every one of us as fans. But from the players I’ve talked to, the learning curve in the new schemes was a lot steeper than fans give it credit, and they are ready to rebound - and rebound HARD - come the next season.

I might be a young Tech fan, so my pessimism hasn’t fully set in yet, but I’m going to continue to be optimistic until CGC gives me a real reason not to, and I expected a 7-8 win season 2020 (at least before I saw the schedule, but I still expect to go bowling).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I suppose you could say he was competitive with the Citadel. Or for that matter with any team that beat us. Except we weren't, and he had plenty of scholarships. Let's stop making excuses for the guy and maybe he will stop making excuses for himself. (And please, please: suggesting we were competitive with Georgia because of ... what? Ring Lardner had Collins in mind with Alibi Ike.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I might be a young Tech fan, so my pessimism hasn’t fully set in yet, but I’m going to continue to be optimistic until CGC gives me a real reason not to, and I expected a 7-8 win season 2020 (at least before I saw the schedule, but I still expect to go bowling).

I love this outlook. Too many people have been borrowing trouble and worrying ahead without evidence or data (this applies to many things btw).

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What’s funny too me is those who are upset with last year are going to be forced to double down next season (whenever that is) because our next season will also consist of scrimmage games. Why do I say that? Because Collins is in the process of building a program not a short term quick win that isn’t sustainable. We will see all 4 QB’s play next season because he has to see what each player can do. If he doesn’t and we lose 2 to the portal that would not be good for recruiting. Same with RB. We’ll play all 3 RB’s. Same with WR’s. Point being, Collins is building not worried about wins and losses. TStan is clearly on board as Collins and TStan have both stated that was the conversation before the hire.

Remember how Collins methodically built his staff over months instead of making the big splash by a rush hire. No one cares about that time now. When GT is winning consistently with a recruiting pipeline no one will care that 2019 and 2020 were ugly. And even by building up I think we can be competitive because outside the top 15 type teams everyone is in the same boat. What I see is GT becoming a program that players love to play in and is getting the attention of high end recruits. The fact that Collins has already landed guys like Jamious Griffin, Gibbs, and Sims along with more 4 stars than we’ve seen in a decade is all the proof you need.

If any GT fan is looking at wins and losses right now then all I can do is give you a hug and laugh. GT will own the Coastal soon but not right now.