Injuries

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep...and this is how rumors get started, and accepted as fact.

So just to put it out there, for any other readers - there is no indication or reason to think Carrie has had any issues hanging onto the football. Him being lower on the depth chart could have any number of reasons:
  • Blocking
  • Ball security
  • A stacked RB room
  • Wanting to preserve a redshirt
  • He's young, and hasn't shown anything that puts him highly above any of the team members with more experience
Any of the above could be reasonable, and none are more reasonable than the others. Just wanted to call that out explicitly, as in the past I've seen subtle hints like the one that was previously given taking on a life of their own.
As I recall Key said back in spring or fall camp that the young RBs (implying Carrie) needed to improve on ball security. Key said after GSU he was happy to see Carrie hold it high and tight so with improvement I expect to see more of Carrie going forward.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been critical of Cooley in the past because I thought he was a weak point for our offense last season after the Louisville game. That being said, I hope he’s able to come back and contribute on a seemingly winning/tight knit team. IMO, Alexander has already shown more than Cooley ever has and is hopefully set as the #2 running back, but I’d like us to have a healthy Cooley as #3 and not burn Carries redshirt.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been critical of Cooley in the past because I thought he was a weak point for our offense last season after the Louisville game. That being said, I hope he’s able to come back and contribute on a seemingly winning/tight knit team. IMO, Alexander has already shown more than Cooley ever has and is hopefully set as the #2 running back, but I’d like us to have a healthy Cooley as #3 and not burn Carries redshirt.
I don't value redshirts anymore in the transfer portal era. The team we have this year is guaranteed, but even the starters aren't guaranteed to return. See Kennard or Wallace.

Play the guys who help you win, if that's Cooley or Carrie so be it.

(An aside but Kennard has 2.5 sacks and a FF in his first game. Would have been real nice rotating him off the edge with Height and Yondjouen.)

slugboy

Staff member
As I recall Key said back in spring or fall camp that the young RBs (implying Carrie) needed to improve on ball security. Key said after GSU he was happy to see Carrie hold it high and tight so with improvement I expect to see more of Carrie going forward.
<knock wood> in the Georgia State game, Luginbill gushed about how the RBs held the ball and how well coached all of them were.

Key said “you need a deep RB room because they get banged up”. He also likes to rotate backs to keep them fresh and healthy. It sounds like he’ll get a shot when he’s healthy. I’d love to see Cooley get healed up and go off against Louisville.

gtee91

Jolly Good Fellow
Does redshirt even matter anymore?? Wasn't there just a lawsuit challenging the years of eligibility rules as restrictions on right to work ?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know where to access a participation report for each individual game?

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did Brooks or Rutherford come back in the game after their injuries today?
Brooks came back....looked like a stinger for him. Rutherford did not. CBK said he got the breath knocked out and training staff would evaluate....maybe a broken rib?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Brooks came back....looked like a stinger for him. Rutherford did not. CBK said he got the breath knocked out and training staff would evaluate....maybe a broken rib?
I think if Rutherford simply had his breath knocked out, he would have returned to the game given the circumstances. Although they may have held him out as a precaution prior to getting an X-ray. Hope it's nothing serious.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I think if Rutherford simply had his breath knocked out, he would have returned to the game given the circumstances. Although they may have held him out as a precaution prior to getting an X-ray. Hope it's nothing serious.

Yeah sure looked like a collarbone and/or shoulder injury from the way he was reacting. I’m assuming he’s gonna be out awhile.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Curious about Alexander too - Key said last week that he would be good to go, but he got zero playing time against Cuse.
It’s clear by now that Key plays word games when it comes to injuries. I’m fine with it as it keeps our opponents off balance but it makes him look like a light weight sometimes. Alexander is obviously hurt and we know nothing about Cooley. I expect Cooley, Alexander, and Rutherford to all be out of action on Saturday but we won’t know because Key will say they are good to go even when they are in street clothes. I wouldn’t play Jamaal on Saturday either and just go with our other RB’s. Key has to find a way to have this team mentally prepared and to ready to fight in Louisville. That is gonna be street brawl.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It’s clear by now that Key plays word games when it comes to injuries. I’m fine with it as it keeps our opponents off balance but it makes him look like a light weight sometimes. Alexander is obviously hurt and we know nothing about Cooley. I expect Cooley, Alexander, and Rutherford to all be out of action on Saturday but we won’t know because Key will say they are good to go even when they are in street clothes. I wouldn’t play Jamaal on Saturday either and just go with our other RB’s. Key has to find a way to have this team mentally prepared and to ready to fight in Louisville. That is gonna be street brawl.
Pretty much every college coach does this. That's why the NFL has mandated that teams provide injury reports
NFL injury report rules, explained: How it works, penalties for violations and more to know in 2024