Injuries

MidtownJacket

Staff member
CBK delayed the injury news on Seither due to a death in the family, which I think we would all agree was the right thing to do.

We aren't in a position of needing this information. We are lucky to have some depth at most spots and we are moving into the new world where competent backups delay the impact of guys going down.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Doesn't look like this is HIPAA related unless these 3 conferences get all of the athletes to sign a HIPAA release. This is clearly about Sports Betting. Interesting that the Power 2 are both providing this info. Again from a marketing perspective and realizing the huge impact of Sports Betting, they are again leaving the ACC in the dust. https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/3063329
Availability reports are not in violation of HIPAA.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Availability reports are not in violation of HIPAA.

Agreed. A player listed as "Out" could be due to an ACL tear, broken collarbone, sprained ankle, concussion, positive COVID test, or an absence due to a death in the family. The availability report will simply list the player as Out with no further details that would possibly come under the purview of HIPAA.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't look like this is HIPAA related unless these 3 conferences get all of the athletes to sign a HIPAA release. This is clearly about Sports Betting. Interesting that the Power 2 are both providing this info. Again from a marketing perspective and realizing the huge impact of Sports Betting, they are again leaving the ACC in the dust. https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/3063329
Weird.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Injury reports for gamblers is not high on my list of things I wish the ACC would do. Quite the opposite, frankly.
But again it all goes together in getting publicity. I am not condoning it but getting a following is what drives revenue. My point is the SEC and Big Ten are looking for every advantage to seperate their conferences from the others. The choice comes down to playing somewhat their game or concede the Power 2 needs to go their own way and let us play with the rest of the FBS.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope Alexander is okay - he has really looked good so far. Alexander is so shifty and explosive, he is a homerun threat and I feel comfortable with him out there. I'm really not that worried about depth at RB.

We got our first glimpse of Scoota Carrie and me likey what me see! That kid is going to be a stud - whether this year or in the near future. Not sure how he is in pass pro, but he is a stud with the ball in his hands.

On a side note: I bumped into Chad Alexander's father on Saturday - he was wearing the same hat Coach Key has, so of course I asked him where he got it - I'm super jealous. I've been looking for that hat for a few years now - no luck. He told me he got it from Darren Waller's dad - then he told me who he was. We need to give that kid a scholarship...

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
But again it all goes together in getting publicity. I am not condoning it but getting a following is what drives revenue. My point is the SEC and Big Ten are looking for every advantage to seperate their conferences from the others. The choice comes down to playing somewhat their game or concede the Power 2 needs to go their own way and let us play with the rest of the FBS.
The ACC did this for a while a few years back, then dropped the requirement.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So the average fan was going to quit watching the SEC because they weren’t getting an injury report fast enough? I’ll say it again, weird.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hope Alexander is okay - he has really looked good so far. Alexander is so shifty and explosive, he is a homerun threat and I feel comfortable with him out there. I'm really not that worried about depth at RB.

We got our first glimpse of Scoota Carrie and me likey what me see! That kid is going to be a stud - whether this year or in the near future. Not sure how he is in pass pro, but he is a stud with the ball in his hands.

On a side note: I bumped into Chad Alexander's father on Saturday - he was wearing the same hat Coach Key has, so of course I asked him where he got it - I'm super jealous. I've been looking for that hat for a few years now - no luck. He told me he got it from Darren Waller's dad - then he told me who he was. We need to give that kid a scholarship...
I like all four of our RBs. It would be hard to choose one after Haynes if they are all healthy.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
So the average fan was going to quit watching the SEC because they weren’t getting an injury report fast enough? I’ll say it again, weird.
I don't think so. What it does is get the casual fan more interested in games. Why do you think there is a RedZone? I promise you many of those people who bet on those games have no rooting interest in the teams other than winning some money. With all of the hype of College Football and the NCAA Basketball tournament, a lot of that is going in the college game today. Why do you think there are so many states allowing sports betting and so many betting boards. Do I think this has effect on people this board or strong supporters, no. But I do think it has an impact on the more casual fans. In all honesty, I don't bet on games at all but I know a lot of people who do. Bringing it back to the injury topic, I think that is why a few of the conferences are trying to leverage this by being more transparent on injuries. I respect what Key is doing and have no issue with it. But as is splatter all over this forum, we are continually losing mindshare to the SEC and Big Ten.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think so. What it does is get the casual fan more interested in games. Why do you think there is a RedZone? I promise you many of those people who bet on those games have no rooting interest in the teams other than winning some money. With all of the hype of College Football and the NCAA Basketball tournament, a lot of that is going in the college game today. Why do you think there are so many states allowing sports betting and so many betting boards. Do I think this has effect on people this board or strong supporters, no. But I do think it has an impact on the more casual fans. In all honesty, I don't bet on games at all but I know a lot of people who do. Bringing it back to the injury topic, I think that is why a few of the conferences are trying to leverage this by being more transparent on injuries. I respect what Key is doing and have no issue with it. But as is splatter all over this forum, we are continually losing mindshare to the SEC and Big Ten.
I guess I’m not smart enough to understand this. Are you saying more people would bet if they think they have better info on teams and that this leads to more eyeballs on your conference? So out of conference games would not be watched as often because not as many bettors would be watching because they only have partial information on a game? So they wouldn’t watch TEXAS A&M vs Notre Dame because only one of those team’s info could be trusted?

I agree that the B1G and SEC are ahead of the ACC in marketing but tying this to Vegas betting lines baffles me.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I guess I’m not smart enough to understand this. Are you saying more people would bet if they think they have better info on teams and that this leads to more eyeballs on your conference? So out of conference games would not be watched as often because not as many bettors would be watching because they only have partial information on a game? So they wouldn’t watch TEXAS A&M vs Notre Dame because only one of those team’s info could be trusted?

I agree that the B1G and SEC are ahead of the ACC in marketing but tying this to Vegas betting lines baffles me.
I don’t think that this is about the SEC/B1G getting more eyeballs. From what I have read, they are simply trying to squash the distractions stemming from bettors/oddsmakers trying to get insider info.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
The patient has to sign a release for the information. Pretty standard HIPAA. There is no reason why a coach would ask a player to sign a release and it would be up to the patient.

From Key’s tone it did not sound like we have any career ending or even season ending injuries. But that’s just my interpretation.

I would love to know more but that’s my problem not the football team’s problem.
I saw Mack Brown in a post-game interview after Max Johnson went down, and he said, "I like for the family to know what's going on before talk to the press." I think this is the general attitude of most coaches - out of respect for the player and family they aren't going to say anything if they don't have to. I'm all for it, honestly.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that this is about the SEC/B1G getting more eyeballs. From what I have read, they are simply trying to squash the distractions stemming from bettors/oddsmakers trying to get insider info.
Wow. Well you certainly wouldn’t want bag men getting inside the program. 🙄

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If the info isn't made public, wouldn't that increase the likelihood of "insider info" being sought by gamblers?