Injuries

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, in my experience paying attention to this sort of thing, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit how many years I actually have paid attention to it, I have found that Head Football Coach's aren't exactly forthcoming when regarding injured players....dare I say, less than transparent. So I'll throw it out there that maybe, just maybe, Williams and Brooks were actually at practice, but maybe not 100%? Since practices are closed to the media, I guess we'll just have to guess. But I'm certainly not going to call out the fortitude of two of our better Student Athletes on a public forum because I'm not privy to why they were held out of a game. I'm more than confident, if they could have gone and helped us win, they woulda.
Just to be clear, I am in no way calling out the fortitude of the student-athletes. I'm just skeptical of the in-game sideline evaluation based on the assumption that the information shared by the head coach is true.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Would love your insight, doctor.

The clues may or may not be in right in front of us like sitting out due to caution against aggravating an existing condition. What might that be?

Or, sometimes in sports you have to be aware of the potential for a “complimentary” injury, as in because I don’t have 100% function of this more minor thing, I might leave myself open to this more serious thing. What might that be?

Or, could it be there was a need to let contusions or swelling go down and once the inflammation is down there is no longer a concern of further inflaming the tissue?

I know nothing about medicine.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
This thread has gotten goofy. It's easy to say a contusion or sprain is no big deal, but that's not true. I took a helmet to my thigh (thigh pad pocket ripped, and pad was out of place), and I couldn't walk for a day. I was at practice on Monday, tho avoiding contact. Pinched nerves, stingers, a helmet on your hip bone, twisted ankle, all kinds of things sit you out, but let you get back into it a few days later.

As someone said, maybe not full contact until later, but some of that stuff can sideline you.

It seems immature to make some of the accusations made here.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
In his defense, he doesn’t seem to be questioning the players toughness or desire to play or anything like that. He’s questioning our medical trainers’ ability to properly evaluate our guys on the sideline which, in my opinion, is a little more reasonable than the other options. That said, I agree it’s a bit of an odd thing to hung up on. As far as injuries go, I always feel like it’s better to be safe than to be sorry. I’d be questioning our trainers if they kept sending out clearly injured kids, but not holding guys back. I’ll trust them in this scenario.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
It doesn't really matter what any of us think...we're keyboard heros that get to nit pick things from our recliners. The good news is that it sounds like everyone came thru game 1 relatively healthy. Sylvain will be re-evaluated this week, but I'm sure they'll be cautious with him given our opponent. We need depth, especially on both lines.

Hopefully we can get off to a fast start and give some young guys some snaps.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm going on record saying Yondjouen will never play another snap at Tech. Love the guy, but I think he is either a Grad Transfer or leaves football before next year. I wish him the best in rehabbing and hope he's on the Flats next year.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm going on record saying Yondjouen will never play another snap at Tech. Love the guy, but I think he is either a Grad Transfer or leaves football before next year. I wish him the best in rehabbing and hope he's on the Flats next year.
Coach Key said in his interview today that Sylvain talked to his family about it and wants to come back to GT next year. Obviously things can change (as with any of our returning players) but as of now he’s coming back.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Coach Key said in his interview today that Sylvain talked to his family about it and wants to come back to GT next year. Obviously things can change (as with any of our returning players) but as of now he’s coming back.
It'll be a long 8 months. A lot may depend on where he is in terms of graduation and how much interest he has coming off a knee injury.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Got to love when your leading tackler goes down with a potential season ending injury up 35 with 7 minutes left in the game. Geesh. We can’t get out of our own way.

Get the starters out of the game!!

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Got to love when your leading tackler goes down with a potential season ending injury up 35 with 7 minutes left in the game. Geesh. We can’t get out of our own way.

Get the starters out of the game!!
Couldn't agree more with this. Hope Kelly can recover.