Injuries

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow
Is DJ Moore hurt? I know there has been a lot of hype around him but I don't think I saw him get in the game. Apologize if this has been mentioned in other threads.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Is DJ Moore hurt? I know there has been a lot of hype around him but I don't think I saw him get in the game. Apologize if this has been mentioned in other threads.
There were a lot of guys who didn’t jump out. Moore, Boyd, Sims, White, Oliver. Moore, White, Oliver not on participation report. Surely they were/are banged up right? At some point I thought all three of those guys would start.

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow
There were a lot of guys who didn’t jump out. Moore, Boyd, Sims, White, Oliver. Moore, White, Oliver not on participation report. Surely they were/are banged up right? At some point I thought all three of those guys would start.

I would think so. Pretty sure I saw Moore and Oliver in full pads on the sideline, but never in the game. Hopefully it is just something minor and they are back this weekend or next.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Just listened to the presser and injuries were addressed quick. Sounds like everyone was back and ready but Sylvain has to get checked again. unless it's coach speak doesn't seem season ending or anything.
I was surprised (thankful), but similar in my interpretation of his response.

Good to know we have the week against SC St to heal up too.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm glad that Williams and Brooks were back out there, but it does make me wonder what injuries they could possibly have sustained that prevented them from finishing the game Friday but somehow resolved quickly enough for them to return today. Would be too short for concussion protocol. A fracture or any significant sprain also would not have resolved that quickly. I can't imagine what these injuries could have been. Makes me wonder about the quality of the sideline injury evaluation and if they could have been playing instead of on the bench at the end of the game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad that Williams and Brooks were back out there, but it does make me wonder what injuries they could possibly have sustained that prevented them from finishing the game Friday but somehow resolved quickly enough for them to return today. Would be too short for concussion protocol. A fracture or any significant sprain also would not have resolved that quickly. I can't imagine what these injuries could have been. Makes me wonder about the quality of the sideline injury evaluation and if they could have been playing instead of on the bench at the end of the game.
Well wait a minute. Never played organized football, but I've had injuries that made me hobble around but was back at it in a day or so. That was Friday and this is Tuesday.
Such an injury would call for a backup. Too often you see guys gimping around when the backup would be the better immediate choice.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Well wait a minute. Never played organized football, but I've had injuries that made me hobble around but was back at it in a day or so. That was Friday and this is Tuesday.
Such an injury would call for a backup. Too often you see guys gimping around when the backup would be the better immediate choice.
Can you be more specific about the type of injury you're talking about? If you can't, that's okay. I get that not everyone is a diagnostician or sees one for every injury. But let's say, for example, you're talking about a contusion (i.e. a bruise). Those can be painful but generally don't limit function, and playing with a contusion doesn't generally cause an increased risk for further injury. GT football players are typically touch dudes (with perhaps a noteworthy exception or two over the years that don't warrant mentioning here) who want to be in the game as long as they are performing at a high enough level and not placing themselves at risk for further injury. GT has trained medical staff on the sideline whose job is to evaluate injuries, determine if further work-up or treatment is required, and if not, reassure the player that he can re-enter the game without increased risk of further injury. In this particular case, I'm questioning the evaluation of those players since I can't come up with a diagnosis that should have prevented them from playing the latter portion of the game Friday but would have them returning to play today.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Can you be more specific about the type of injury you're talking about? If you can't, that's okay. I get that not everyone is a diagnostician or sees one for every injury. But let's say, for example, you're talking about a contusion (i.e. a bruise). Those can be painful but generally don't limit function, and playing with a contusion doesn't generally cause an increased risk for further injury. GT football players are typically touch dudes (with perhaps a noteworthy exception or two over the years that don't warrant mentioning here) who want to be in the game as long as they are performing at a high enough level and not placing themselves at risk for further injury. GT has trained medical staff on the sideline whose job is to evaluate injuries, determine if further work-up or treatment is required, and if not, reassure the player that he can re-enter the game without increased risk of further injury. In this particular case, I'm questioning the evaluation of those players since I can't come up with a diagnosis that should have prevented them from playing the latter portion of the game Friday but would have them returning to play today.
Good grief, I'm sure there are gobs of injuries that would preclude a player from being able to give his best performance but that would abate and have him up and at 'em in a couple of days. I'm sure these guys know what they're doing.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
It could have been cramps. Maybe a pulled lat. Perhaps a hyperextended toe? There's a lot of injuries that could keep you out of a game but that will heal up with a few days rest...

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
It could have been cramps. Maybe a pulled lat. Perhaps a hyperextended toe? There's a lot of injuries that could keep you out of a game but that will heal up with a few days rest...
I completely disagree on that. Those types of injuries are ones that can put someone out for a play or perhaps a series in order to be evaluated, but not for multiple series or half of a game. I don’t want to derail the thread, so I’ll probably end my commentary on the matter here.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would think several of our players have some nagging injuries from fall practice and may have tweaked an existing injury. Coaches are more cautious these days and we still have a lot of games left to play. I was surprised we came into the first game without a lot of injuries to starters.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I would think several of our players have some nagging injuries from fall practice and may have tweaked an existing injury. Coaches are more cautious these days and we still have a lot of games left to play. I was surprised we came into the first game without a lot of injuries to starters.
Stickler ( RT under Cpj) had knee issue. We needed him in in his 5th year but he hung up his cleats

Austin Smith was plagued w miniscus tear. During esrly TFP , Austin rehabed and repaired. Tried to go but knee wouldnt let him. This left OL short handed so injured guys had to gut it out.

We are still not at full bench of real players.

Football is hard on body.
Its not for the timid.
We must keep them off field till ready.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I completely disagree on that. Those types of injuries are ones that can put someone out for a play or perhaps a series in order to be evaluated, but not for multiple series or half of a game. I don’t want to derail the thread, so I’ll probably end my commentary on the matter here.
Travis Kelce got a hyperexended knee yesterday and still hasnt been ruled out for tomorrows game (likely will play by week 2). If he had gotten that in a game though, no way he would keep playing. They wouldnt have time to do a full diagnosis during the game and the pain would be too much.

There are lots of injuries that require treatment and a few days off to be able to play...

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Moore didn’t play a snap. Boyd played one. White played zero. Oliver played two.

None of those guys played a special teams snap except Boyd, who played 22 (more than anyone except Kyle Efford, who played 23).

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Buzztheirazz, I generally appreciate the insight you bring to this board. I tried messaging you directly so as not to get into a back-and-forth in a public thread, but it looks like you have that feature turned off.

Don't you think saying that I obviously never played sports is unnecessarily disparaging, though?

I played basketball in high school, rugby at Tech, and have some marginally noteworthy accomplishments as a recreational runner - nothing to boast a lot about, but I'm a reasonably athletic guy. I've had my share of sports injuries including fractures, concussion, and even a jammed finger as you mentioned. I'm also a doctor. So, I would say I have a fair understanding of anatomy and physiology in these situations.

Sure, if a quarterback or receiver has a jammed finger, he's probably going to need to sit out the rest of a game and might make it back for practice 4 days later, but that isn't the case with a safety or a guard. The sideline crew should be able to tape that junk up so they can get back out there.

Likewise, none of the examples you or anyone else has provided in this thread would apply as a potential reason Williams or Brooks should have needed to sit on the bench for the remainder of the game while also being able to return to practice by Tuesday. Perhaps there is a medical diagnosis that could apply in this situation that none of us have thought of, but cramps, minor tweaks, and muscular stuff are not one of them.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Buzztheirazz, I generally appreciate the insight you bring to this board. I tried messaging you directly so as not to get into a back-and-forth in a public thread, but it looks like you have that feature turned off.

Don't you think saying that I obviously never played sports is unnecessarily disparaging, though?

I played basketball in high school, rugby at Tech, and have some marginally noteworthy accomplishments as a recreational runner - nothing to boast a lot about, but I'm a reasonably athletic guy. I've had my share of sports injuries including fractures, concussion, and even a jammed finger as you mentioned. I'm also a doctor. So, I would say I have a fair understanding of anatomy and physiology in these situations.

Sure, if a quarterback or receiver has a jammed finger, he's probably going to need to sit out the rest of a game and might make it back for practice 4 days later, but that isn't the case with a safety or a guard. The sideline crew should be able to tape that junk up so they can get back out there.

Likewise, none of the examples you or anyone else has provided in this thread would apply as a potential reason Williams or Brooks should have needed to sit on the bench for the remainder of the game while also being able to return to practice by Tuesday. Perhaps there is a medical diagnosis that could apply in this situation that none of us have thought of, but cramps, minor tweaks, and muscular stuff are not one of them.
Well, in my experience paying attention to this sort of thing, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit how many years I actually have paid attention to it, I have found that Head Football Coach's aren't exactly forthcoming when regarding injured players....dare I say, less than transparent. So I'll throw it out there that maybe, just maybe, Williams and Brooks were actually at practice, but maybe not 100%? Since practices are closed to the media, I guess we'll just have to guess. But I'm certainly not going to call out the fortitude of two of our better Student Athletes on a public forum because I'm not privy to why they were held out of a game. I'm more than confident, if they could have gone and helped us win, they woulda.