Initial Impressions

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Its hard for me to get a judgement on our defense in this game. Wofford has a very tricky offense to defend and they threw the ball very little. It was alot of misdirection, which kept our LBs on their heels tryin to figure out who had the ball. We probably couldve sent the house more but it seemed like Roof felt we should play "not to lose" and let our offense win this one. Instead of trying to make a bunch of big plays in the backfield and risk giving up some HRs.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Please. The question about who ran the option better is not even arguable. Wofford had better yards per carry (5.8 vs 5.3) and more yardage rushing (271 vs 226) than we did. We obviously won by dominating the passing game. But with our superior talent and speed, and with a coach who is supposed to be a master at the option game, there is no excuse for our inability to win the option game. My point was not to argue whether or not Wofford ran the option better than we did. That argument is settled. Period. End of discussion. My point was to raise for discussion the reasons WHY Wofford ran the option better than we did. I think the reason is that there is a deeper, more fundamental issue within the team, possibly related to attitude, motivation, or mindset. (i.e. does this team really care? do they see Johnson already as a lame duck? something else?)
Take your pj hate cap off and add Snoddy play as a option pitch and recalculate. Before recalculating, drink two shots of gentleman jack, take two aspirin and call your doctor!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe it was so hot that the sound waves don't travel as well as normal... :cool:

Sound travels faster with higher temps and humidity. Interestingly, there is less attenuation of sound above about 20% humidity. :cool: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-airpressure.htm {Submarine acoustics are really interesting but not the subject here for sound in air ... great site.}

So maybe the sound was so fast it just went by too quick. :rolleyes:

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Its hard for me to get a judgement on our defense in this game. Wofford has a very tricky offense to defend and they threw the ball very little. It was alot of misdirection, which kept our LBs on their heels tryin to figure out who had the ball. We probably couldve sent the house more but it seemed like Roof felt we should play "not to lose" and let our offense win this one. Instead of trying to make a bunch of big plays in the backfield and risk giving up some HRs.

I went home after the game and watched UGA and Clemson. UGA's defense played all-out, attacking at every point, and you could see the emotion and confidence build as the game went on. Their aggressiveness was disrupting ans distracting what looked to be a talented Clemson offense. The UGA defense seemed to fire up the UGA offense (along with Gurley's phenomenal running). I understand Roof wants the defense to play smart but I hope he doesn't ever 'play not to lose', because if we do, we will lose. :mad:

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
The prerecorded whistle for 1st down and scores didn't play on the PA system. The real whistle, as @Jerry the Jacket says, did indeed blow after scores.
I sit at the very top of the North Endzone. The steam-whistle blew after , scored TDs. We just didnt score but 1 in the first half. After that... Everybody was more worried about dehydration and sunburn to listen for a whistle.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was yesterday;)

Trying to folks something to grasp at to help alleviate the heat issue. :D

I just filled out the game survey form for Woffard that GTAA e-mailed to me. The one suggestion was to schedule the early season games which have no real TV interest later in the day. Too hot for fans and players. {Plus I like to drink late in the day and really don't enjoy or drink as much early.}

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
A lot of people forget that Wofford came with a few minutes of beating Clemson in 2011, only losing by 8. We did a helluva lot better than that today

good grief----they are a decent team but remember ---we lost by 6 in '12 to fsu the NAT CHAMPS in '13--so we should be great and cover
bottom line--get us through the first 3 games and then WIN at vt,if we don't then the fact is AGAIN we have a weak 7 win season staring us in the face -maybe

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
good grief----they are a decent team but remember ---we lost by 6 in '12 to fsu the NAT CHAMPS in '13--so we should be great and cover
bottom line--get us through the first 3 games and then WIN at vt,if we don't then the fact is AGAIN we have a weak 7 win season staring us in the face -maybe
Cmon fella. It's 2014. It's never as good or as bad as it seems.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I went home after the game and watched UGA and Clemson. UGA's defense played all-out, attacking at every point, and you could see the emotion and confidence build as the game went on. Their aggressiveness was disrupting ans distracting what looked to be a talented Clemson offense. The UGA defense seemed to fire up the UGA offense (along with Gurley's phenomenal running). I understand Roof wants the defense to play smart but I hope he doesn't ever 'play not to lose', because if we do, we will lose. :mad:

I hope we dont need any of that vs Wofford and played just vanilla enough to win.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually - '79-'82 was as bad as it seemed. :eek:

Only rivaled by 93-95.
nvo2opa25t2oytu6g.jpg

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Good points, especially given our lack of depth on the line and inexperience in several positions. I can't say I blame CTR one bit if in fact he schemed it this way. Think of how we'd feel right now if they'd scored on a couple of deep passes. :eek:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Any other season ticket holder get an email asking why you didn't attend the game?

I told them "other", but noted that I WAS ACTUALLY THERE AND HAD THE TICKETS SCANNED. Plus had two GT fans in the free seats they gave away.

Then I also added that any game before mid-September should not start before 5PM. Just too darn hot for players and fans.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I know, but it's still ridiculous to start a game before 5PM with the sun BEATING down anywhere in the hot and humid south. JMO.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any other season ticket holder get an email asking why you didn't attend the game?

I told them "other", but noted that I WAS ACTUALLY THERE AND HAD THE TICKETS SCANNED. Plus had two GT fans in the free seats they gave away.

Then I also added that any game before mid-September should not start before 5PM. Just too darn hot for players and fans.

LMAO. I didn't go (my daughter and her boyfriend were but didn't) but I got an e-mail asking how I liked the game.