Info from first week of practice

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe that Custis will take the starting B-back job in the early part of the season

only if Laskey is hurt. No way Custis passes Laskey on the depth chart. Right now he is behind Connors. Connors is a solid player who does so many good things on the football field. He's not flashy but he is effective. Laskey will carry the load this year and Custis's time will come next year. I look for Connors to get a few more touches in games this year just because he is experienced.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I believe that Custis will take the starting B-back job in the early part of the season
I think the most likely thing to happen at this point is they split around the same number of snaps with Custis and Laskey. Connors is the 3rd guy who I am happy to have..Connors is great in trash and knows the offense very well. Good blocker too

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
I know we're excited about these AB's, but IMO they were taken with the hopes to play in 2015 or 2016. Here are the AB's in front of the Freshman:

Days - RS-SR, Hill - RS-SR, Bostic - RS-SR, Perkins - RS-SR, Zenon - RS-SR, Andrews - RS-SO, Snoddy - RS-JR

That's 3 deep before they even step on campus, with the least experienced among them having 3 years under his belt. The only way they get PT is if CPJ wants to prepare them to play next year.
Quanitity and not quality. I like Perkins (if healthy), but no one else has separated. I'd still be shocked to see all 5 seniors return for summer camp. BTW. Seems like Snoddy has been here forever and he has 2 more years.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Quanitity and not quality. I like Perkins (if healthy), but no one has separated. I'd still be shocked to see all 5 seniors return for summer camp. BTW. Seems like Snoddy has been here forever and he has 2 more years.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Connors probably doesn't have the speed of Laskey or Custis, but I think he runs the option pretty darn well. He is able to stay on a veer track better than Laskey, IMO.
That being said, I'd be surprised if Custis doesn't pass him by the end of spring.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought Connors had the best spring of all the BBs last year. He's a good backup to have...not flashly or anything, just a good solid back we need to spell the starters. Kinda reminds me of Lucas Cox in that regard (and because they share the same skin color).

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My concern is looking at that list, none of them would play ahead of Orwin Smith, Roddy Jones, Anthony Allen, or even Robbie Godhigh. How can the talent at a position as important as A-back continue to decline? Maybe the new kids will be the answer to that question, but right now it seems we have regressed. Yes, we have several to choose from, but are any of them what you would consider game-breakers?
When you use phrases like "continue to decline" it makes me wonder what you see that I don't. IMHO the talent and effectiveness at the AB position has risen steadily from 2008 all the way through last season. Godhigh was the best AB we have had yet and the numbers bear that out. Before him, both Allen and Smith were better than Jones. At this point, I agree that none from the list have made it obvious they are the heir apparent to RG or the others. However, the same weeping and gnashing of teeth happened after Orwin last year. We may end up taking a slight step back, I dunno. In any case, we will be far from ruin. The system gives ABs some space to work with. We will be effective if we make the reads and block the edges.

When you use phrases like "continue to decline" it makes me wonder what you see that I don't. IMHO the talent and effectiveness at the AB position has risen steadily from 2008 all the way through last season. Godhigh was the best AB we have had yet and the numbers bear that out. Before him, both Allen and Smith were better than Jones. At this point, I agree that none from the list have made it obvious they are the heir apparent to RG or the others. However, the same weeping and gnashing of teeth happened after Orwin last year. We may end up taking a slight step back, I dunno. In any case, we will be far from ruin. The system gives ABs some space to work with. We will be effective if we make the reads and block the edges.
Not trying to be all gloom and doom, but again, which A-back currently in uniform is as good as Godhigh, a former walk-on? Days is a converted quarterback with promise, but the rest are so far not very special. Someone posted elsewhere that Bostic and Zenon were mistake prone. Andrews is suspended. My angst I guess is that we aren't signing any Todd Gurley or C.J. Spiller types. I know that the system creates opportunity for even the mundane A-back. It would be special to see one or two 800 yard guys one day.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be all gloom and doom, but again, which A-back currently in uniform is as good as Godhigh, a former walk-on? Days is a converted quarterback with promise, but the rest are so far not very special. Someone posted elsewhere that Bostic and Zenon were mistake prone. Andrews is suspended. My angst I guess is that we aren't signing any Todd Gurley or C.J. Spiller types. I know that the system creates opportunity for even the mundane A-back. It would be special to see one or two 800 yard guys one day.
You have angst because we are not signing the top 1% of runningback prospects???? I'm afraid your angst has no end in sight.

You have angst because we are not signing the top 1% of runningback prospects???? I'm afraid your angst has no end in sight.

We have, on occasion, signed some pretty decent running backs. I suppose Anthony Allen is Paul Johnson's crown jewel. Shouldn't we get one or two in a decade? Dwyer, Tony Hollings, P.J. Daniels. We are on a long dry spell, unless Custis or Wilson or somebody else breaks the mold.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
We have, on occasion, signed some pretty decent running backs. I suppose Anthony Allen is Paul Johnson's crown jewel. Shouldn't we get one or two in a decade? Dwyer, Tony Hollings, P.J. Daniels. We are on a long dry spell, unless Custis or Wilson or somebody else breaks the mold.

Haaaahahahahaha!! Not sure if serious... You just listed a converted DB and a walk-on in your indictment of our RB recruiting. I guess you're right. We should be looking for more DBs and accepting more walk-ons. You win.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Haaaahahahahaha!! Not sure if serious... You just listed a converted DB and a walk-on in your indictment of our RB recruiting. I guess you're right. We should be looking for more DBs and accepting more walk-ons. You win.

We got a converted QB!!! (Sims)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
PJ was a walk-on for us, but he was highly recruited out of high school. There was some sort of insane academic hassle that made the schools that were really after him back off. Then he walked-on at Tech the next year and we were right glad to have him. Wish we had him now, in fact; he'd have been a badder BB then anyone except Dwyer. Of course, we would have had to convince him to quit looking for people to run over after he got to the next level …

I think we'll be alright at AB, btw. Remember all the moaning and groaning last year about Godhigh? I do. We have ABs coming back who are as talented as Godhigh was. Also, I think that whoever wins the QB job will make the ABs job a lot easier. By the end of the year other teams were forgetting the veer and laying for the toss sweep. I doubt that'll be the case this coming season. Having the TO working will mean that the counter will work too. Problem = the AB I was looking for, Andrews, will not dress out for the first two games and might be stewing about that now. Hope not; he's potentially the best we've ever had there, imho. Sooooo … practice hard and get that top spot, Dennis! Your time is coming.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Synjyn caught 4 passes for 48 yards last year. I know you may not have intended the question literally, but there you are.

FWIW, he also seemed like the favorite target in the spring game last year. Looked pretty good receiving, though he did have a bullet from close range hit him in the head before it was intercepted. I was always impressed with him as a runner at QB. For the life of me, I can't figure out why that didn't translate to AB.