Improvements to BDS and game attendance and atmosphere...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So you would sacrifice $$$$ for the "look" Not really smart considering the arms race Tech is in with the factories.
What money would we lose? It would cost money of course but it’s about the in game experience, make it better and more people would want to come imo. It could also affect recruiting if the stadium looked fuller, kids like that kid of stuff. Not a big deal though, we obviously have different opinions, nothing wrong with that.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Add a stretch of club seats in the Upper North. Definitely not wise to remove the entire section. We love it up there, incredible view of downtown Atlanta and an awesome place to watch plays unfold, especially great for watching option football.

Remove the South stands and put in the weight room TStan/CPJ have discussed. How many seats would that eliminate?

Love the chairback idea.

I think we should aim for 48-50,000 capacity. It would improve the gameday experience and give us a chance at packing the place out without the help of opposing fans twice a year. Would love to reduce the number of Clemson and Dawg fans in the bleachers. UGA is so proud of that and it looks bad for us.

When we added on in ‘03 (whenever it was) what was the logic there?

O'Leary wanted a bigger stadium for recruiting purposes. Unfortunately, this happened right as HDTV became prevalent and an increase in TV coverage of games.

Probably the increase in sky boxes (lower east) was a net plus, but the upper north was a folly. Probably could've stayed with the 2002 configuration (no upper north) and sold out 90% of games.

I try not to get into the numbers games, but it was a great afternoon/evening at BDS on Saturday after a miserable week with an awesome game.

I get the feeling the chair back replacement would require a bunch of ADA compliance things, but its probably a good time to take care of it. The lack of safety railings I would say is not good. Had a Miami fan who wouldn't/couldn't make it to his seat because he had just had back surgery.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Fully opposed to taking out seats. One of Stansbury's main focuses is to grow the fan base. Don't limit the potential growth there by reducing how many people can come to games. The fan base has been very apathetic this year, because there was a point where just about everyone had had it with CPJ. Since 2013 we average around 50,000 a game. That average includes openers against FCS teams and when we play Duke or UVA at home. The Clemson game this year didn't even reach 50,000. It been a down year emotionally (until maybe this week) for GT fans and it has showed in attendance.

But please, a big hell no to removing 5,000+ seats (I'm ok with getting rid of less than that to make room for party areas)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Here's a simple, realistic solution that I'm surprised hasn't been suggested by anyone yet. Buy season tickets and invest in one of those fanzone seats that get ziptied down to your spot. That way you don't have to get uncomfortable with anyone, and your seat is defined and cannot move.
They have those I’m pretty sure.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Fully opposed to taking out seats. One of Stansbury's main focuses is to grow the fan base. Don't limit the potential growth there by reducing how many people can come to games. The fan base has been very apathetic this year, because there was a point where just about everyone had had it with CPJ. Since 2013 we average around 50,000 a game. That average includes openers against FCS teams and when we play Duke or UVA at home. The Clemson game this year didn't even reach 50,000. It been a down year emotionally (until maybe this week) for GT fans and it has showed in attendance.

But please, a big hell no to removing 5,000+ seats (I'm ok with getting rid of less than that to make room for party areas)
We didn't sell 50k seats to the Clemson game in 2014 in the midst of our best season in a decade. We were 8-2 and we couldn't convince 50k folks to show up on a beautiful fall afternoon for senior day. I truly do not understand our fans.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We didn't sell 50k seats to the Clemson game in 2014 in the midst of our best season in a decade. We were 8-2 and we couldn't convince 50k folks to show up on a beautiful fall afternoon for senior day. I truly do not understand our fans.
Does this help ?

th

MidnightJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
They have those I’m pretty sure.

I don't find those seats comfortable in the least.

The point isn't whether they're comfortable or whether you can already do it. My response was to the OP. If you don't want people squishing up beside you or asking you to make room, get those temporary chairbacks to define "your space", and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

The point isn't whether they're comfortable or whether you can already do it. My response was to the OP. If you don't want people squishing up beside you or asking you to make room, get those temporary chairbacks to define "your space", and you don't have to worry about it anymore.
In theory that's of course true, but I guarantee you there are some who would still take up so much space that even the chair back wouldn't help much.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So the official attendance was supposedly 37k. Truly terrible and im sorry i know CPJ is a great coach right now winning 6 of last 7 but he is certainly a big part of the blame for our declining attendance
Jesus once said "Not playing noon games is a way get to MORE FANS!!!!"
https://gtswarm.com/threads/petition-to-stop-noon-home-games.14917/page-9#post-425468

Yet we win 6 of 7 and have our lowest home attendance of the season with a 3:30pm kickoff.

I'm not sure who or what to believe in anymore.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Jesus once said "Not playing noon games is a way get to MORE FANS!!!!"
https://gtswarm.com/threads/petition-to-stop-noon-home-games.14917/page-9#post-425468

Yet we win 6 of 7 and have our lowest home attendance of the season with a 3:30pm kickoff.

I'm not sure who or what to believe in anymore.

Yeah, that confused me too. There were absolutely no UVA fans there, but we should have been able to put 45k in the stands even without them. Atmosphere was still great compared to a noon game though : )

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
That’s where the beer pavilion should go also....a very big beer pavilion. Want to bring in sidewalk fans....this would help more than anything else outside of regular 10 win seasons.

Yes, yes, yes! There is enough room up there to have parties and dancing...all with a view of Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
Something that I would like to see is a tweak to the seating priority formula based on usage of the tickets. Every ticket is scanned at the gate, so it seems like season ticket holders that actually show up for every game could be somehow rewarded for their loyalty.
Only if they scan the ID of the ST holder as well... don't want someone getting credit on their 50yd line tickets selling them to opponents every game.