Improvements to BDS and game attendance and atmosphere...

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Only if they scan the ID of the ST holder as well... don't want someone getting credit on their 50yd line tickets selling them to opponents every game.
Is that really an issue though? I think that people that buy tickets with the idea of selling them or giving them away will find themselves stuck with tickets to half the games. Alcorn St, Bowling Green, unranked ACC teams.....

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how much it is...but the stadium will likely look red on Saturday.
That's only 1 game out of 6 or 7 every other year. Opposite years will be orange.

Let's put some of this big data to use. Heck they can even tell what time you go through the gate. Use the information that we have. It's not that hard. I'm not saying this is the only factor, but it could be used for the intended goal of a better game day atmosphere.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how much it is...but the stadium will likely look red on Saturday.
Ok I get what you're saying - that some that can't make it for whatever reason would be encouraged to sell to a mutt to get credit for perfect attendance...

Edit: don't use the data for the big games that are well attended anyway.

Edit: use data from the 4 or 5 lowest attendance games of the season.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Only if they scan the ID of the ST holder as well... don't want someone getting credit on their 50yd line tickets selling them to opponents every game.

Exactly, I'm in the club section and have never met the actual ticket holder of the seats beside me. They are sold every game, typically to opposing fans. I've had to put up with some pretty crappy behavior in front of my 2 kids no less all while paying top $$ to support my Alma mater. Every year I mention this in club section end of the year survey but no fixes yet. Maybe if scanning id was optional, but if electicely done increased ur priority for seat assignment changes or something. Very frustrating!

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, I'm in the club section and have never met the actual ticket holder of the seats beside me. They are sold every game, typically to opposing fans. I've had to put up with some pretty crappy behavior in front of my 2 kids no less all while paying top $$ to support my Alma mater. Every year I mention this in club section end of the year survey but no fixes yet. Maybe if scanning id was optional, but if electicely done increased ur priority for seat assignment changes or something. Very frustrating!
I feel your pain. The club section is the elephant in the room, because of STHs like your neighbor. I appreciate YOUR support of GT.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fully opposed to taking out seats. One of Stansbury's main focuses is to grow the fan base. Don't limit the potential growth there by reducing how many people can come to games. The fan base has been very apathetic this year, because there was a point where just about everyone had had it with CPJ. Since 2013 we average around 50,000 a game. That average includes openers against FCS teams and when we play Duke or UVA at home. The Clemson game this year didn't even reach 50,000. It been a down year emotionally (until maybe this week) for GT fans and it has showed in attendance.

But please, a big hell no to removing 5,000+ seats (I'm ok with getting rid of less than that to make room for party areas)

If Tech fans could get excited enough to attend Alcorn state games and fill BDS...and if they didn’t have to be assured of a coastal championship to fill BDS...and of more than 1/4 of the fans vs Clemson and Uga weren’t Tiger fans and mutts.....I’d agree with you.

I have zero reason to believe Tech fans will ever change though. So I’m in favor of reducing seats. As a recent national article stated...”do better GT fans.”

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yeah, that confused me too. There were absolutely no UVA fans there, but we should have been able to put 45k in the stands even without them. Atmosphere was still great compared to a noon game though : )

They showed up in fewer numbers than Alcorn did but they had a contingent. Probably the smallest visiting contingent of the year but they were there.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Something that I would like to see is a tweak to the seating priority formula based on usage of the tickets. Every ticket is scanned at the gate, so it seems like season ticket holders that actually show up for every game could be somehow rewarded for their loyalty.

The only trouble here is splitting up groups in sections that do get pumped and loud.

Edit..and what @Animal02 said.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Is that really an issue though? I think that people that buy tickets with the idea of selling them or giving them away will find themselves stuck with tickets to half the games. Alcorn St, Bowling Green, unranked ACC teams.....
A number of UGA fans buy season tickets when UGA is at BDS because of how cheap they can get them and just sell the rest..

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
A number of UGA fans buy season tickets when UGA is at BDS because of how cheap they can get them and just sell the rest..
I think most STHs can identify seats nearby that go unused until Ugag or Clem or VT, Miami, FSU etc come to town. We can't eliminate that problem. They won't have priority if they don't buy ST every year.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I think most STHs can identify seats nearby that go unused until Ugag or Clem or VT, Miami, FSU etc come to town. We can't eliminate that problem. They won't have priority if they don't buy ST every year.
I think last season the GTAA held back good seats for COFH and sold directly on secondary market. It was the first time the extras I ordered weren't located in lower west with the rest of my tickets.

slugboy

Staff member
Wait, why are we talking about seats? Who sits during the game?
When you can't even STAND in your spot because someone takes up two seats, the seat backs help.

Anyway, I liked the Stansbury ideas of an open deck and some other areas. I'm not sure how to make it all work out

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
GT attendance at home approximates 39K - 43K each game. If not UGA or Clemson, the stadium will have empty seats. I have watched it for 38 years. This past Saturday's game with Virginia, was an excellent atmosphere.

Regarding this Saturday's game at UGA. 90K UGA fans will get wet, pregame and about kickoff. That's 90K wet, barking dogs. 90K wet and barking dogs are annoying and smell bad.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to bring the subject back to the original post, but just listened to the last of the interview.

I really did laugh out loud because of his comment "I did not know we had a flagship station".

As far as attendance. Fans come when you win games. This is not the chicken or the egg thing. Start putting winning seasons together and the fans will come. Win enough and the fan base will grow.

My opinion is that fair weather fans are not going to go to a game to watch their team get their butt kicked. They may go and brave the weather to watch a competitive team that has a chance of winning. If it is too hot/cold/rainy, they are not going to show.

I agree that the allotted seat width is too tight. We get the cushioned stadium seats each year, and you sit on top of each other.