Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But, but, but.......how are we supposed to be on the same page then? consistent messaging and all. We wouldn’t want some poor recruit to come along here and get a mixed message would we? Boaty would be very upset.

Fanbase has to be relevant in recruiting on message boards since they don’t go to games much.
Yeah, I think one thing is clear, CPJ had bad messaging and CGC has good messaging even though we don't know what that messaging is. But we know we don't want the messaging to be like the factory schools even though we don't know what that messaging is when it is bad. But our messaging needs to like the good parts of the factory messaging and not like bad parts of our previous messaging, whatever they were. But bad messaging about Tech can no longer be tolerated even though we can't be clear about what that messaging was. We just need to have good messaging though we will never really know what message a coach is sending a recruit. But whatever the messaging is that we don't know about we need to make sure it is changed if it is bad. This should be crystal clear to everyone.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
1920px-Tangent_to_a_curve.svg.png

You will have to change the colors to get that on a GT helmet.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not being a math whiz is red and black standard for what this graf is showing?

Its differentiation and integration based on what direction you read it. in a really basic sense i think is the point. In this case you have a trig plot (no axis can't tell you if thats a sin or cos based one) The red line is the derivative of the signal, the black line is one possible integration of the red line.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The key is CGC is trying to make the longshots...not longshots. I know you don't believe he can, but he does.
I don't know if he can or not, but I sure hope he does. But the fact still remains there's limited contact hours in recruiting. It's a probability game. It's a time management game. It's a how do you make your B-listers feel like A-listers game because you can bet somebody else is. You need those B-listers willing to sign when your miss on your A-listers and believe me we will miss on the majority.

This is where identification is key. This is where the "analytical army" is invaluable. You can't afford to waste time, effort and money on guys who want no part of GT. We need to target guys who have the right cross section of talent, academics and interest.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Its differentiation and integration based on what direction you read it. in a really basic sense i think is the point. In this case you have a trig plot (no axis can't tell you if thats a sin or cos based one) The red line is the derivative of the signal, the black line is one possible integration of the red line.
It's a sine wave shifted by pi (or is that pi/2).

Last edited:

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Back to the subject of the OP of this thread: we all will not know anything about the “implications of the recruiting” until we get a more complete set of data collected over the next four years — 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. And the W-L records of the team over these same seasons will become the most important part of the entire data set, in order to establish a concrete trend.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Back to the subject of the OP of this thread: we all will not know anything about the “implications of the recruiting” until we get a more complete set of data collected over the next four years — 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. And the W-L records of the team over these same seasons will become the most important part of the entire data set, in order to establish a concrete trend.
For sure.

Would love to see someone do a comparison of won/loss record and recruiting ranking in Dabo Sweeney's first five to six years at Clemson. Memory is that CPJ kind of owned him on the field for a while but recruiting finally pushed Clemson over the top. Would love a time line on that to see how it unfolded.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For sure.

Would love to see someone do a comparison of won/loss record and recruiting ranking in Dabo Sweeney's first five to six years at Clemson. Memory is that CPJ kind of owned him on the field for a while but recruiting finally pushed Clemson over the top. Would love a time line on that to see how it unfolded.
While Kevin Steele was DC we got 2 victories. At end of his last season WVA dropped 70 on them . Dabo knew that recruiting was only have the battle and brought in HIGH Paid coordinators.

I am hoping we build up excitintment for gt football over next 3 years and adjust staff to get to next level.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For sure.

This is the data set and the accompanying chart. Of note, Clemson has always recruited well, but became an "elite" recruiting team shortly after Deshaun Watson showed up on campus. (Weapons attract other weapons) Also, the spike in 2017 was due to a class size of 14. Of those 14, 3 were 5* and 6 were 4* recruits.

upload_2019-2-12_11-7-50.png
upload_2019-2-12_11-0-27.png

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is the data set and the accompanying chart. Of note, Clemson has always recruited well, but became an "elite" recruiting team shortly after Deshaun Watson showed up on campus. (Weapons attract other weapons) Also, the spike in 2017 was due to a class size of 14. Of those 14, 3 were 5* and 6 were 4* recruits.

View attachment 5171View attachment 5170
Thanks for the data.
Steele was there as DC in 09, 10, and iirc 11.

Note - last few years of Bowden he had great recruits at END. The 2 bad classes (03 04 ) were a drag till 08. Bowden left Swinney with a talented team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 5171View attachment 5170
Thank you. Always ask a Tech man.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Thanks for the data.
Steele was there as DC in 09, 10, and iirc 11.

Note - last few years of Bowden he had great recruits at END. The 2 bad classes (03 04 ) were a drag till 08. Bowden left Swinney with a talented team.

Also, Swinney had been at Clemson since 2003, so he was instrumental in almost all of the classes that were charted.

Interesting read on how Bama tried to snag Swinney...

https://thespun.com/news/dabo-swinney-reveals-this-major-program-tried-to-hire-him-away-in-2007

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
But, but, but.......how are we supposed to be on the same page then? consistent messaging and all. We wouldn’t want some poor recruit to come along here and get a mixed message would we? Boaty would be very upset.

Fanbase has to be relevant in recruiting on message boards since they don’t go to games much.

Apples to oranges.

A "relevant" fanbase re:recruiting (please define what you mean here) still doesn't mean that this 'relevant fanbase' has any idea whatsoever what ours (or any) coaches are telling recruits in their living rooms.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yeah, I think one thing is clear, CPJ had bad messaging and CGC has good messaging even though we don't know what that messaging is. But we know we don't want the messaging to be like the factory schools even though we don't know what that messaging is when it is bad. But our messaging needs to like the good parts of the factory messaging and not like bad parts of our previous messaging, whatever they were. But bad messaging about Tech can no longer be tolerated even though we can't be clear about what that messaging was. We just need to have good messaging though we will never really know what message a coach is sending a recruit. But whatever the messaging is that we don't know about we need to make sure it is changed if it is bad. This should be crystal clear to everyone.

In 11 years we will be able to compare messaging between the two better. Things are rosier thus far. Again, time will tell.

eastpoint

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know if he can or not, but I sure hope he does. But the fact still remains there's limited contact hours in recruiting. It's a probability game. It's a time management game. It's a how do you make your B-listers feel like A-listers game because you can bet somebody else is. You need those B-listers willing to sign when your miss on your A-listers and believe me we will miss on the majority.

This is where identification is key. This is where the "analytical army" is invaluable. You can't afford to waste time, effort and money on guys who want no part of GT. We need to target guys who have the right cross section of talent, academics and interest.
Well, this staff did just sign I think 8 guys who were not even being actively recruited by GT (Griffin was not going to GT) until after Collins was hired. So, he seems to have enough time and a pretty good plan if his A guy falls through. He wanted Brothers at LB but moved on. He wanted Darkwa at DL but got Lockhart.