If you had a wish list for AD JB what would it be?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. Fix the long term financial situation by significantly reducing our debt and endowing at least 80% of all scholarships and coaching positions.

2. Work with student body leadership and fraternities/sororities to figure out ways to incentivize student attendance at all sporting events.

3. Work with individual coaches to develop an action plan to improve performance of programs and set clear expectations on what constitutes reasonable level of success including the frequency of postseason play.

4. Work with President to figure out how the GTAA can generate the appropriate level of funding required to achieve success across all sports in which we participate.
Nice post.
Item 2 made me think of the way Baylor gets students to interact verses be nerds for 4 years and leave like gt does. Every Baylor student is assiged to a large competive unit based on location. Location is Dorm, Frat, Sor, off campus A, u get the point. They then have all kinds of comptition that lead to a sing off. My son has many old time college friends who stay at his place when they come back to football bb games .

So back to how to get students to games to create shared experiences.

Gtaa raises quite a bit of $ with pretty high student fees for athletics. Gt could increase the fee such that we have an extra say 1$MM per year.

That 1$MM is returned to the student "at games" via raffles, generous contests, pick final score, first 1000 in get someting ( not cheap ***). Thinking football I would love to watch some silly events where students compete to win stuff.

Great memories at gt games makes for long term donors="helps solve the long term money issue in 1. And 4.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Nice post.
Item 2 made me think of the way Baylor gets students to interact verses be nerds for 4 years and leave like gt does. Every Baylor student is assiged to a large competive unit based on location. Location is Dorm, Frat, Sor, off campus A, u get the point. They then have all kinds of comptition that lead to a sing off. My son has many old time college friends who stay at his place when they come back to football bb games .

So back to how to get students to games to create shared experiences.

Gtaa raises quite a bit of $ with pretty high student fees for athletics. Gt could increase the fee such that we have an extra say 1$MM per year.

That 1$MM is returned to the student "at games" via raffles, generous contests, pick final score, first 1000 in get someting ( not cheap ***). Thinking football I would love to watch some silly events where students compete to win stuff.

Great memories at gt games makes for long term donors="helps solve the long term money issue in 1. And 4.
Rebate program is a decent idea but people would throw a fit at the fee increases for athletics. A bit silly considering the ROI and price of the degree, especially after HOPE/Zell, but it does impact Prez Cabrera’s approval rating.

Thriving athletics (or at least thriving athletics community experiences) as a shared service would make the campus a happier, better place for all, even those who don’t go to the games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I
Rebate program is a decent idea but people would throw a fit at the fee increases for athletics. A bit silly considering the ROI and price of the degree, especially after HOPE/Zell, but it does impact Prez Cabrera’s approval rating.

Thriving athletics (or at least thriving athletics community experiences) as a shared service would make the campus a happier, better place for all, even those who don’t go to the games.
Throw a fit? Lets look at number - We are needing 100 $ increase from 10000 students to get 1$mm. If we gave half back at 6 home football ball games that a Accura MDX at halftime for each game.
Ok lets go cheaper 25$ = 250$k ='125k for 6 games = 25 fancy i phones.

Here is iceeater tangent ==At the hs in Pensacola where i help football booster club - we gave a free coke and hotdog (2$) in 4th quarter to the pee wee football players in uniform. Yea , they got in free! But the parents paid 16$ and bought 10$ worth of concessions. We increased gate by a ton. This year the sheriff dept is going to sponsor this at one game at every hs. May do bb as well. Getting young kids interested is a key to stopping gang activities.

BATT need to prime the pump to get STUDENT attendance and energy up .

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I

Throw a fit? Lets look at number - We are needing 100 $ increase from 10000 students to get 1$mm. If we gave half back at 6 home football ball games that a Accura MDX at halftime for each game.
Ok lets go cheaper 25$ = 250$k ='125k for 6 games = 25 fancy i phones.

Here is iceeater tangent ==At the hs in Pensacola where i help football booster club - we gave a free coke and hotdog (2$) in 4th quarter to the pee wee football players in uniform. Yea , they got in free! But the parents paid 16$ and bought 10$ worth of concessions. We increased gate by a ton. This year the sheriff dept is going to sponsor this at one game at every hs. May do bb as well. Getting young kids interested is a key to stopping gang activities.

BATT need to prime the pump to get STUDENT attendance and energy up .
No disagreement here. I crunched similar numbers when I made that post. I've just been on campus for a fee increase and the hostility can be nuts. I think the people who miss out on the free car would have enough fun attending the game that they wouldn't mind having spent the 3.5 hours at the football game (or 2 hours at basketball). McCamish would be a madhouse every game if you gave 2500 students a chance at a huge prize every home game.

Honestly if we don't buyout Josh Pastner this season, we should put his $800k for next year towards prizes for student attendance. $47k cash prize per game. $23.5k per game if you give half to the WBB team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No disagreement here. I crunched similar numbers when I made that post. I've just been on campus for a fee increase and the hostility can be nuts. I think the people who miss out on the free car would have enough fun attending the game that they wouldn't mind having spent the 3.5 hours at the football game (or 2 hours at basketball). McCamish would be a madhouse every game if you gave 2500 students a chance at a huge prize every home game.

Honestly if we don't buyout Josh Pastner this season, we should put his $800k for next year towards prizes for student attendance. $47k cash prize per game. $23.5k per game if you give half to the WBB team.
The Minneapolis minor league team had great give aways - at one home stand at every game the gave they drove a used car on field in 7th inning and gave it away. Winner had to be there. He would be announced and run down - get in and drive it off. The first game the car was a little better than a junker but the car quality got better such that the last one was like brand new.

My clients prefered the minor league games over the twins.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I think @iceeater1969 has a good idea. Some folks would complain about the fees even if they were cut in half. For reference, Tech charges $127 per semester for athletics. For reference, Georgia State fees are $ 181 per semester. Bumping the fees and having giveaways seems like an easy way to increase student engagement and perhaps even increase GTAA revenue.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think @iceeater1969 has a good idea. Some folks would complain about the fees even if they were cut in half. For reference, Tech charges $127 per semester for athletics. For reference, Georgia State fees are $ 181 per semester. Bumping the fees and having giveaways seems like an easy way to increase student engagement and perhaps even increase GTAA revenue.
Knight data base ; custom report, acc conference - check all schools , select where the money comes from, turn off all categories exept student athletic fees, check 2021 ==
SAFees mm$
Clemson and pit 0,
gt 5 5, ncst 6.5,uva13.2, vt 10.8

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Heck, if it would get them in the seats why not let freshmen (- and women) in free. Build interest and team spirit. Get them to see what they are missing if they don't attend the games. They would spend more than the fees at the concession stands. Give the dorm RA's prizes for getting the most freshmen in their dorms to the games.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Heck, if it would get them in the seats why not let freshmen (- and women) in free. Build interest and team spirit. Get them to see what they are missing if they don't attend the games. They would spend more than the fees at the concession stands. Give the dorm RA's prizes for getting the most freshmen in their dorms to the games.

GT students already get free tickets to the game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Acutally they it looks like they prepay 5.2 million in student fees a year.

We could give some $ back on their card if they attend and buy beer! Kind of like getting free beer at the game. What could go wrong w that?

Was responding to this post, who said we should let freshmen and women in free. Sure, everyone pays the SA fee, but tickets to football games are still free for students on a first come, first served basis.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was responding to this post, who said we should let freshmen and women in free. Sure, everyone pays the SA fee, but tickets to football games are still free for students on a first come, first served basis.
Lets be clear for me: .
Do the students pay a flat fee along w tuition. Does that let them in the game?

(Numbers gt Student fee =5.5& Total ticket gt = 10.5 in 2020; clemson unc fsu ncst tickets combined average well above 20).

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Lets be clear for me: .
Do the students pay a flat fee along w tuition. Does that let them in the game?

(Numbers gt Student fee =5.5& Total ticket gt = 10.5 in 2020; clemson unc fsu ncst tickets combined average well above 20).

The fees are revenue generated that the AA can use at their discretion. That flat fee has no bearing on whether they get into the game or not.

The tickets (2500 per game) are allotted on a first come, first served basis. There are additional student tickets that are dedicated to the Student Yellow Jacket Club. Membership costs either $15 or $65 depending on the level. As a sidewalk fan, I am not entirely sure how it works but these tickets are guaranteed to the student, not first come, first served.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The fees are revenue generated that the AA can use at their discretion. That flat fee has no bearing on whether they get into the game or not.

The tickets (2500 per game) are allotted on a first come, first served basis. There are additional student tickets that are dedicated to the Student Yellow Jacket Club. Membership costs either $15 or $65 depending on the level. As a sidewalk fan, I am not entirely sure how it works but these tickets are guaranteed to the student, not first come, first served.
Students can also buy season tickets that are very cheap. I don't know what they cost now, but when I was in school I think they were <$55 for the season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was never a part of the Yellow Jacket Club, so it's not exclusive to them.

I am a sidewalk fan so I had to look it up to find out. The GT website lists it as the way for students to buy tickets other than the free allotment. If there are other ways the website doesn't easily direct to it, which is typical for GT athletics and their websites...

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
North Endzone tickets are sold in blocks for Fraternities, Sororities, Swarm, and other organizations. They cost $65. Not sure what the $15 dollar option gets you on the website. South Endzone tickets are first come first serve each week. South Endzone attendance has seemingly dwindled year over year.