If we win bowl, are we preseason ranked in 2017?

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
If we win the bowl, we will finish 9-4 after starting 3-3, we have a LOT of starters back on both sides of the ball, I'd think we'd have some support to be considered relevant next year.

What do you think?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
If we win the bowl, we will finish 9-4 after starting 3-3, we have a LOT of starters back on both sides of the ball, I'd think we'd have some support to be considered relevant next year.

What do you think?
I believe that we would deserve it but the media will probably put the entire Big Ten and SEC in the rankings to start next year.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
There is a chance we are ranked to hype up the kickoff classic but I wouldn't count on it. Tennessee will surely be ranked as next year will be their year again etc.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No. In the bowl we go in as the 42nd team playing the 51st team. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2016.htm

So at best end up ~35th. Given the pre-season is usually about program continuity over the last few years (I'll be kind and not mention 2015), I'd expect we start about 35th.

Agree with others that it doesn't matter about pre-season rankings. Either our D gets a lot better and we get into the top 25 sometime next year or it doesn't.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Agree with others that it doesn't matter about pre-season rankings. Either our D gets a lot better and we get into the top 25 sometime next year or it doesn't.
And if ever there was a year that proved that, it's 2016. Compare:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ama-clemson-oklahoma-top-first-2016-rankings/

With:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

11 of the pre-season AP top 25 aren't ranked today and some (Michigan State, in particular) were epic fails this year.

And, yes, as usual all we have to do is improve on D a bit and we'll be in.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Who cares? I’d rather be ranked at the end of this year and the end of next year. I could care less about the beginning of the year.
Agree. Let the Muttnation worry about how Kirby can return them to their rightful place of a top 10 preseason ranking.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It's difficult to justify ranking them in the preseason after losing a three year starter (and star) at QB at a school not known for reloading. Add to it the usual defensive deficiencies and I don't think we will or should be ranked.

I do think a 9-4 team should be ranked somewhere around 20-25 in the final AP poll this year, though.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

What do you think?
Doesn't matter. Seen Tech ranked in preseason before, then we immediately lose.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow

What do you think?
I could honestly care less what the ******* talking heads think of our program.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
I want to be ranked pre season so out staff can point that out to recruits. Beat ugag 2 of last 3 and ranked... start demonstrating to recruits we are on the rise

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We probably have a better chance of ending 2016 ranked than starting 2017 ranked. We are losing our Senior QB.