IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How many of us would have hired Cremins?

I'd have argued that Cremins was closer to what Pat Kelsey is rather than Bob Richey. And I think there are a lot of people, although not everyone, who would make the switch today if we could guarantee getting Kelsey.

Now the landscape of college basketball was different 40+ years ago so I don't know what the mentality was at the time.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'd have argued that Cremins was closer to what Pat Kelsey is rather than Bob Richey. And I think there are a lot of people, although not everyone, who would make the switch today if we could guarantee getting Kelsey.

Now the landscape of college basketball was different 40+ years ago so I don't know what the mentality was at the time.
Kelsey has an impressive coaching career for sure!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Kelsey has an impressive coaching career for sure!

I've seen that name on this board for years. Just looked him up, and I don't know much about him personally nor what style of basketball his teams play, but just looking at his record...if he's interested in the GT job, we'd be foolish not to explore the possibility if we don't have a better candidate.

Pretty dang impressive what he did at Winthrop, and it looks like he's well on his way to replicating the same success at CofC.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've seen that name on this board for years. Just looked him up, and I don't know much about him personally nor what style of basketball his teams play, but just looking at his record...if he's interested in the GT job, we'd be foolish not to explore the possibility if we don't have a better candidate.

Pretty dang impressive what he did at Winthrop, and it looks like he's well on his way to replicating the same success at CofC.

My guy @dtm1997 don't like him. That's all I need.

As always, I only follow dt's recommendations.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You're just an ice cream snob.
Not at all. I actually like all ice cream...except Edy's. They've gone to poop. This started because you were laughing at certain posters ice cream choices, then I called you out on your Mayfield ice cream choices. Other posters ran with "KG has horrible taste in ice cream" narrative...

I'm just sitting back enjoying the show, and throwing the occasional "KG has horrible taste in ice cream" grenade in there...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not at all. I actually like all ice cream...except Edy's. They've gone to poop. This started because you were laughing at certain posters ice cream choices, then I called you out on your Mayfield ice cream choices. Other posters ran with "KG has horrible taste in ice cream" narrative...

I'm just sitting back enjoying the show, and throwing the occasional "KG has horrible taste in ice cream" grenade in there...

Oh No What GIF by Jackson-Triggs

My gawd, that is how all this started. Are you proud of yourself? You've single-handedly destroyed my entire dessert reputation.

youre terrible britney spears GIF

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

My gawd, that is how all this started. Are you proud of yourself? You've single-handedly destroyed my entire dessert reputation.

Your ice cream choices may as well be frozen poop, considering what you eat.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Don't be that person who blames their poor choices on someone else. It's unbecoming of a self proclaimed GT Get-Bak coach.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
How many of us would have hired Cremins?

We were in a deeper hole in basketball then than we are now. At games, fans were wearing paper bags over their heads. I followed Cremis playing at USCe for Frank McGuire and coaching at App State. I would would have hired Cremins without any second thoughts.

I would love for Pastner to be successful, but like many others have posted, I am also really concerned about CJP's ability to quickly develop a team with an offence and defense designed to meet their skill sets.

I would hire Pat Kelsey of C of C, after a background check and locating funding to close the deal, without any second thoughts.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
I went to the KSU-Liberty game last night up in Kennesaw and came away very impressed with Amir Abdur-Rahim. The place was rocking. It was a better atmosphere than any game in McCamish this season. KSU won 6 games combined his first two years there and now they are leading the Atlantic Sun Conference.

He's from the Atlanta area (Wheeler High School), a proven recruiter, and could create some buzz if he gets ACC resources.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Another name to consider is Martin Ingelsby at Delaware. He was on Mike Brey's staff for about a decade and since taking the head job at Delaware, he's taken them to the NCAAT and has won 20+ games twice. Not bad considering the year before he arrived Delaware went 7-23.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Another guy I've liked for a long time is Bob Marlin. He's currently at Louisiana-Layfette. Before there he was at Sam Houston State. He's brought both programs to March Madness and won 200+ games at both stops. ULL are off to a 21-6 start to this season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We were in a deeper hole in basketball then than we are now. At games, fans were wearing paper bags over their heads. I followed Cremis playing at USCe for Frank McGuire and coaching at App State. I would would have hired Cremins without any second thoughts.

I would love for Pastner to be successful, but like many others have posted, I am also really concerned about CJP's ability to quickly develop a team with an offence and defense designed to meet their skill sets.

I would hire Pat Kelsey of C of C, after a background check and locating funding to close the deal, without any second thoughts.

Financially, GT should easily have what it takes to lure Kelsey here.

The bigger question is what Kelsey is looking for in terms of staff support, NIL budget, etc.

I did some social media snooping, and Kelsey has a great social media presence, and it would play well in the Southeast with recruits and their parents.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing to keep in mind regarding any new BBall coaching search: AD Batt's background at 'Bama was actually focused more on basketball. He was the Bama's men's BBall administrator. Nate Oats raves about J Batt, and I'm sure he'll be good resource for Batt (and GT) should we have to find a coach. Supposedly, Batt played a big role in identifying and hiring Oats. The process of ID'ing and getting a coach committed won't be new to Batt like hiring a football coach was.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I really don't understand the logic of some of these suggestions.

Rahim has a conference winning % of 35.5% and just one individual year above 50%. Sure it's one great year, but there isn't any proven sustained success, and if you want to argue that it takes time for his recruiting to tick in, then the first two years pain a bleak picture of coaching adaptability and I'm not sure why we'd want to go in for someone who would be so heavily dependent on recruiting.

Inglesby has been at Deleware as long as Pastner has been here. He has a .527 win% and .449 in conference over that time.

Pastner has had some success. Both here and at memphis. The issue has been with sustaining it and repeating it with different groups.

There are certainly some guys who have had sustained success, Kelsey, or repeated success at multiple stops, Hunter. But why would we go through a coaching change for a coach that only has one or two notable seasons when Pastner has already done that here, if they don't bring something else proven?