IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It has nothing to do with gonads.

Hire a coach who has shown he can win. Name recognition makes people feel good but does nothing to indicate future success. Mark Price and Patrick Ewing are two recent examples.

Well allow me to elaborate as it seems I've confused you.

I'm not saying he's the right guy for the job. I'm saying, even if they decided he's the right guy for the job, they'd be scared to hire him because of the lacking in the gonad area.

I've given my 'list' of coaches I want and Jack's not on it. My list is behind a pay wall so consider yourself lucky to get that nugget for free.

I was really just railing against our overall, again, lack of 'nads. So, for me, it has everything to do with gonads.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well allow me to elaborate as it seems I've confused you.

I'm not saying he's the right guy for the job. I'm saying, even if they decided he's the right guy for the job, they'd be scared to hire him because of the lacking in the gonad area.

I've given my 'list' of coaches I want and Jack's not on it. My list is behind a pay wall so consider yourself lucky to get that nugget for free.

I was really just railing against our overall, again, lack of 'nads. So, for me, it has everything to do with gonads.
Post the list here or it doesn't exist.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'll pay you nothing.
Well then, you know what....

Al Pacino Money GIF

MidtownJacket

Staff member

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I mean you gotta respect the audacity and forward thinking required to link a previous gas light in support of the current one.. Now we know what Ol George has been up to since stepping down from his committee assignments (ghost writing for our guy KG).

Ain't no grift like a George S grift, 'cause a George S grift don't stahhp....

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Some of the names mentioned would just be awful hires. Thoughts on some, in no particular order.

Andy Kennedy - 12 years at Ole Miss and 2 NCAAT appearances and a handful of NIT. Done pretty well at UAB. Wouldn't have me excited but it wouldn't be horrible.

Ben McCollum - Most interesting suggestion so far. Very proven winner, but no experience at the D1 level, and not a SE guy at all. Not really sure why he'd come here as I imagine he's been reached out to by similar level programs in a region closer to where he is familiar. Anyways, good out of the box kind of suggestion.

Pitino - no. Great coach. **** person. Just no.

Marshall - Like above. Great coach. **** person. Just no.

Beard - Good coach, but IMO bit overrated. Had a great year at TT leading them to the championship game but has been kind of Hewitt -esque since then going 9-9, 9-8, 10-8 in conference since. Also by most accounts seems to be a grade A ***. Wouldn't be a bad get if it turns out the issues with his fiance aren't as big as they initially seemed.

Anthony Grant - This would be a good hire imo and would make a lot of sense. Not sure if we'd be able to do it though.

Chris Mack - He was one that I wanted when we got Pastner, and I would be happy if we landed him now. Had his issues at UL but did well enough that I could see him having success with a fresh start.

Bosh/Jack/literally any other GT former player. No. Stop it with the stupid belief that because they played here it means anything. It doesn't. Love Jack but he has about 18 months of coaching experience as an Assistant in the NBA. Same with Warren and Labarrie. Prior GT ties don't mean anything.

Amir Abdur-Rahim - There are several names that basically boil down to "their team is good this year so what about them?" choices which I'd rather not go to. After all Pastner went 31-5 in year 4 at Memphis. I'd rather not rely on a one year wonder and take them juts because of that. However of those types, I'd say Rahim is the one that is most appealing. Local guy who should already have some recruiting ties. Has seemingly built Kennesaw State up, although doesn't have extended success. I wouldn't want to go into the coaching search if he was the best we could reasonably go for, but it would be a good risk/reward type of hire if we swung through some better choices.

Anyways, some names not mentioned (or that I missed).

Stan Jones - Longtime FSU assistant. If we're going the unproven as a head coach route, I'd rather go for someone like Jones than someone known for just their recruiting. Similar reason to why Tommy Lloyd was a good hire at Arizona. Not my ideal type of hire, and no idea if he'd have any interest (I'd sort of doubt it) but someone I hadn't seen mentioned.

Bob Richey - I think someone mentioned him, but I missed it this time I went through. Won over 70% of his overall games and 73% of his conference games at Furman. Hasn't managed to make the NCAAT in what I believe is a one bid league, but has had sustained success otherwise.

Ritchie McKay - Liberty coach to Virginia Asisstant back to Liberty coach. Mixed success as head coach overall but it seems that his time under Bennett helped him as he's got liberty on a nice 5 year run, including this year.

Andy Enfield - Okay, obviously a dreamer pick, but he was a long time east coast guy, born in Pennsylvania, played at Johns Hopkins, then coached for 15 years split between the celtics and FSU as an assistant and then FGCU before going to USC. Has had success at USC but not overwhelming success, and maybe if we opened up the bank account, actually committed to having an elite program, we could make a compelling argument to bring him back to the east coast, especially since the Pac 12 has some inherent drawbacks when it comes to basketball that make it harder to have success (like second in 2018 in conference but going to the NIT). Would it be a pipe dream? Probably. But maybe our AD will actually be serious to improving the program and not just pay it lip service like he did with the football coaching search.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We need to quit going after cheap hires that are below average coaches. A coach like Pitino would give our program a big lift and that’s what we need else we will be irrelevant forever.
But someone might think something negative about us!!!

(As we are currently dead last in the ACC)

Which…..where did the press predict us to finish this season. I need to check…..my…..notes…

slugboy

Staff member
Which…..where did the press predict us to finish this season. I need to check…..my…..notes…

Wait?!? Just how often is the ACC forecast correct?

It’s about as thoughtful a forecast as me picking a single number in roulette

If your point is that we’ve finally performed as badly as their preseason dart throwing exercise, I guess that kind of makes sense

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Wait?!? Just how often is the ACC forecast correct?

It’s about as thoughtful a forecast as me picking a single number in roulette

If your point is that we’ve finally performed as badly as their preseason dart throwing exercise, I guess that kind of makes sense
I’m saying that if you pick a team to finish 13th and they finish 11th, that’s pretty solid. Not a wild overachievement by the program.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of the names mentioned would just be awful hires. Thoughts on some, in no particular order.

Andy Kennedy - 12 years at Ole Miss and 2 NCAAT appearances and a handful of NIT. Done pretty well at UAB. Wouldn't have me excited but it wouldn't be horrible.

Ben McCollum - Most interesting suggestion so far. Very proven winner, but no experience at the D1 level, and not a SE guy at all. Not really sure why he'd come here as I imagine he's been reached out to by similar level programs in a region closer to where he is familiar. Anyways, good out of the box kind of suggestion.

Beard - Good coach, but IMO bit overrated. Had a great year at TT leading them to the championship game but has been kind of Hewitt -esque since then going 9-9, 9-8, 10-8 in conference since. Also by most accounts seems to be a grade A ***. Wouldn't be a bad get if it turns out the issues with his fiance aren't as big as they initially seemed.

Anthony Grant - This would be a good hire imo and would make a lot of sense. Not sure if we'd be able to do it though.

Chris Mack - He was one that I wanted when we got Pastner, and I would be happy if we landed him now. Had his issues at UL but did well enough that I could see him having success with a fresh start.

Bosh/Jack/literally any other GT former player. No. Stop it with the stupid belief that because they played here it means anything. It doesn't. Love Jack but he has about 18 months of coaching experience as an Assistant in the NBA. Same with Warren and Labarrie. Prior GT ties don't mean anything.

Amir Abdur-Rahim - There are several names that basically boil down to "their team is good this year so what about them?" choices which I'd rather not go to. After all Pastner went 31-5 in year 4 at Memphis. I'd rather not rely on a one year wonder and take them juts because of that. However of those types, I'd say Rahim is the one that is most appealing. Local guy who should already have some recruiting ties. Has seemingly built Kennesaw State up, although doesn't have extended success. I wouldn't want to go into the coaching search if he was the best we could reasonably go for, but it would be a good risk/reward type of hire if we swung through some better choices.

Stan Jones - Longtime FSU assistant. If we're going the unproven as a head coach route, I'd rather go for someone like Jones than someone known for just their recruiting. Similar reason to why Tommy Lloyd was a good hire at Arizona. Not my ideal type of hire, and no idea if he'd have any interest (I'd sort of doubt it) but someone I hadn't seen mentioned.

Bob Richey - I think someone mentioned him, but I missed it this time I went through. Won over 70% of his overall games and 73% of his conference games at Furman. Hasn't managed to make the NCAAT in what I believe is a one bid league, but has had sustained success otherwise.

Ritchie McKay - Liberty coach to Virginia Asisstant back to Liberty coach. Mixed success as head coach overall but it seems that his time under Bennett helped him as he's got liberty on a nice 5 year run, including this year.

Andy Enfield - Okay, obviously a dreamer pick, but he was a long time east coast guy, born in Pennsylvania, played at Johns Hopkins, then coached for 15 years split between the celtics and FSU as an assistant and then FGCU before going to USC. Has had success at USC but not overwhelming success, and maybe if we opened up the bank account, actually committed to having an elite program, we could make a compelling argument to bring him back to the east coast, especially since the Pac 12 has some inherent drawbacks when it comes to basketball that make it harder to have success (like second in 2018 in conference but going to the NIT). Would it be a pipe dream? Probably. But maybe our AD will actually be serious to improving the program and not just pay it lip service like he did with the football coaching search.
Good stuff here. Chris Mack would seem to be a good hire who knows what he is doing. Andy Enfield would be great- I've been a fan for a while, but can't see it happening. Poach a coach from USC?

As much as Anthony Grants seems great, his results haven't been great for a while- no NCAAs since 2012
Kennedy would not excite me. I think Grant and Kennedy look good to us because we been down so long and they are not embarrassing their programs and have had modest success. not greatness or even seeming to have potential for great success, just will be competent - what uga always hopes their basketball coaches will be

Beard is a great coach in my opinion, but looks like he has other problems and I don't see us hiring him and I don't want him

Stan Jones is probably the best one but he is so boring and unknown that no one will give him a chance and no one will ever know. Like Tommy Lloyd and Jerome Tang, who knew?

I think I still like Ryan Odom, but Chris Mack is available.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Didn’t Chris Mack promptly just get Louisville in more trouble than they already had with Pitino?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t Chris Mack promptly just get Louisville in more trouble than they already had with Pitino?

IIRC the actual violations he was tied to were level 2 in nature and things like using GAs at practice and creating promotional material for recruits. Not the best thing to have happen while under investigation but nothing that I would really hold against him going forward, and I believe he wasn't given any punishment by the NCAA. The weird thing was the whole being extorted by Dino Gaudio thing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
IIRC the actual violations he was tied to were level 2 in nature and things like using GAs at practice and creating promotional material for recruits. Not the best thing to have happen while under investigation but nothing that I would really hold against him going forward, and I believe he wasn't given any punishment by the NCAA. The weird thing was the whole being extorted by Dino Gaudio thing.

That was the most awesome part. So awesomely random. Is that guy in jail or nah?

Eta. Nah, just got probation. 1 year. Geez, that's all? I need to extort some dudes. Risk v reward, amirite?