IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I am coming out of board talk retirement for this mess that’s called Georgia Tech basketball. It’s absolutely disgusting. So much for being a first year season ticket owner.

I don’t want any of the retreads not named Rick Pitino. Is he the long term answer? Of course not. Would he put us as the first story on sportscenter? Absolutely. He would bring a swag and relevancy back to ATL. I have to do a deep dive into more coaching options but I am willing to cut a check to J Batt. Enough with the talk, time for some action. I love Josh and he is one of the nicest guys in the industry but to not fix this and continue to pound the same strategies into the ground is so frustrating.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Yeesh, you know it's bad when CBreezey aka @ChasonBaller come outta retirement spittin that straight fire water.

Not sure if I should be terrified or run through a brick wall...
3D8B4884-E740-47EE-853D-D6E18C3F865B.gif

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
F It….
#JJ2TheA

Ok, hear me out.
We hire Rick with a 4 year deal….
Let’s J Jack get more experience with Monty Williams and the Suns and then bring him in. Assuming within those 4 years he takes like a G-League head coaching job or something like that. I mean, I would be cool with him coming here as the top assistant with Rick and be the coach in waiting. I doubt he would do it, but my late night thoughts agree to it.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I am coming out of board talk retirement for this mess that’s called Georgia Tech basketball. It’s absolutely disgusting. So much for being a first year season ticket owner.

I don’t want any of the retreads not named Rick Pitino. Is he the long term answer? Of course not. Would he put us as the first story on sportscenter? Absolutely. He would bring a swag and relevancy back to ATL. I have to do a deep dive into more coaching options but I am willing to cut a check to J Batt. Enough with the talk, time for some action. I love Josh and he is one of the nicest guys in the industry but to not fix this and continue to pound the same strategies into the ground is so frustrating.
That part about the strategies.... I understand

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
No more retreads. We need someone who is successful and energetic. The only two coaches who have thrived here in modern basketball were Cremins (App State) and Hewitt (Siena). The retread model doesn't work here. Pastner proves it. The nerd guy who didn't fit at Memphis isn't going to thrive here because we are more like him.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think I have begun to believe what we really need is an excellent coaching staff of assistants....with a head coach who is just a great recruiter but leaves the real coaching to the assistants. That seemed to be Hewitt's path to success (until he lost his assistants and...) and even Cremins was not renowned for his game day coaching.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
F It….
#JJ2TheA

Always thought that one day he might return and lead us to greatness. Does anyone really believe that he would be considered about the Wendell Carter fiasco?

If history is any indicator, I cannot imagine that the administration at GT would be able to get past it, but he is what we need.

He would be someone that we could probably get without breaking the budget. He would recruit like crazy, and I feel strongly that he would get the most of his players.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Always thought that one day he might return and lead us to greatness. Does anyone really believe that he would be considered about the Wendell Carter fiasco?

If history is any indicator, I cannot imagine that the administration at GT would be able to get past it, but he is what we need.

He would be someone that we could probably get without breaking the budget. He would recruit like crazy, and I feel strongly that he would get the most of his players.

The details of that situation wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but yea, the Hill will probably not even consider it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Agreed.

At some point we (the admin) gotta have some gonads. If he's the right hire, support the dude. In the grand scheme of things, nothing he's alleged to have done even rates on anybody's radar in 2023.

Have a press conference, let the uga media plants pretend its a big deal, remind them theyre a cesspool of humanity, wait a week, and it all goes away.

We gotta freaking get over ourselves with this holier than thou nonsense.

Do I need to apply to be the pr guy and the #get-bak! coach up in here?

Ill Do It Myself GIF by CBS

slugboy

Staff member

I don’t know if he’s the coach to lead us to greatness—and I tend to doubt it—but he’s got points in his favor and seems to be a step in the right direction.

I don’t the the Wendell Carter fiasco is relevant to basketball in the NIL era. As for Jack, you decide if you can trust him to do the right things or not.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don’t know if he’s the coach to lead us to greatness—and I tend to doubt it—but he’s got points in his favor and seems to be a step in the right direction.

I don’t the the Wendell Carter fiasco is relevant to basketball in the NIL era. As for Jack, you decide if you can trust him to do the right things or not.
It's not the $300 that would be an issue, its the fact that he took a high-schooler to a strip club???? :eek::eek:

I'm curious, why do you tend to doubt it? He checks all the boxes...

• Clean background. No baggage other that Cheetahpalooza - which most don't consider a big deal.
  • Young and relatable to high-school and college-aged kids.
  • Knows the game extremely well - Played at the highest levels.
  • Knows what it means to be a student-athlete at GT (and be successful).
  • Some coaching experience - Probably his biggest knock.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed.

At some point we (the admin) gotta have some gonads. If he's the right hire, support the dude. In the grand scheme of things, nothing he's alleged to have done even rates on anybody's radar in 2023.

Have a press conference, let the uga media plants pretend its a big deal, remind them theyre a cesspool of humanity, wait a week, and it all goes away.

We gotta freaking get over ourselves with this holier than thou nonsense.

Do I need to apply to be the pr guy and the #get-bak! coach up in here?

Ill Do It Myself GIF by CBS
It has nothing to do with gonads.

Hire a coach who has shown he can win. Name recognition makes people feel good but does nothing to indicate future success. Mark Price and Patrick Ewing are two recent examples.

slugboy

Staff member
It's not the $300 that would be an issue, its the fact that he took a high-schooler to a strip club???? :eek::eek:

I'm curious, why do you tend to doubt it? He checks all the boxes...

• Clean background. No baggage other that Cheetahpalooza - which most don't consider a big deal.
  • Young and relatable to high-school and college-aged kids.
  • Knows the game extremely well - Played at the highest levels.
  • Knows what it means to be a student-athlete at GT (and be successful).
  • Some coaching experience - Probably his biggest knock.
It’s the last area—there’s a lot of organizational work that’s needed that’s invisible to fans. We see the tip of the iceberg. I think he’d need some mentoring to cover his gaps, and that doesn’t always work out.
If it did, a lot more ex-stars would turn out to be great coaches.

Re: the strip club, I’m not endorsing it, but since the UGA football team has their own VIP area at an Athens area strip club, I don’t think it’s as rare as many think it is