IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I know for sure is that I don’t know enough to make valid suggestions in this thread!

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Mike Rhoades,VCU
Kim English,George Mason
Bob Richey,Furman
I'd say James Jones but his contract goes into 2030 so I don't know why he'd leave Yale.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Was that KA or Joe Hamilton?
Or both?

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Beard and Marshall are not options, so stop. Beard strangled his wife? not being considered. Marshall must have done something pretty bad too.

Jonas Hayes has a losing record in his first season as a HC, so not sure why anyone would want him right, Ron Hunter looks better. Can't believe I saw Daryl LaBarrie mentioned.

Maybe Ryan Odom wants to come back to ACC? Throw a bunch of money at Dan Hurley? :unsure:
Ryan Odom has a five-year contract worth a total of $3,991,796 at Utah State. I think we can afford him and I think he would want to come back to ACC. This is my #1 at the moment.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Unlike everyone's arch nemesis, @dtm1997 , kg will be putting together a 'list'. It's gonna be the bestest, most prolific list any has ever seen.

For the low, low price of $59.99, we'll sign you up for the elite package a day will send it, via PM, and a t-shirt.

Just click grift-r-us.org today.

:cool:

Dennis Gates - eh, stranger things have happened
Richie Riley
Austin Clauch
Kim English
Grant McCasland
Jordan Mincy

GTkaiboi

Georgia Tech Fan
Just throwing it out there, if we were to can Pastner this year, Abdur-Rahim is right up the road. He's taken Kennesaw State from one of the worst D1 programs in America to first in their conference and undefeated at home. Maybe A-Sun to ACC is too large of a leap, but he's been on several solid staff and has proven he can build a program from nothing.

Thoughts?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hire Gregg Marshall.

Sign kids who don't mind verbal and physical abuse.

For the players that are soft, but can actually put the ball in the basket, give them more NIL money and make the sign NDAs to cover up the abuse.

Kidding...about the soft kids. We don't need weaklings who can't take name calling or running bleachers all night.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If the charges are dropped against Chris Beard, and they are likely to be dropped since the state has no witness, then he should be the guy. But like with Pitino, I don't see it happening.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
There are tons of X and O coaches. Unless they can recruit nationally and specifically Atlanta, take their resumes to the round file. Basketball doesn’t need phenom coaching, It requires contacts for players. Calapari is proof. Georgia Tech cannot take another up and comer. We have been gagging on those for a while now
What up and comers? Brian Gregory who the fanbase at Dayton wanted gone when he was hired here? Pastner who the fanbase at Memphis wanted gone when he was hired here? Paul Hewitt was an up and comer and that worked for awhile so was Bobby Cremins when Tech hired him.
Besides look at Florida and Alabama. Those programs became established as programs that were continually ranked by hiring what you would call phenoms in Billy Donovan and Nate Oates. You find out if a guy can recruit an area by seeing that guy recruit that area and even then it doesn't last. Pastner was known as a recruiter coming here and it hasn't been the same at Tech. Gregory looked like a guy able to recruit the area for that 1st class and then it fell off dramatically going forward.
If the charges are dropped against Chris Beard, and they are likely to be dropped since the state has no witness, then he should be the guy. But like with Pitino, I don't see it happening.
I don't think it's happening and if everything was dropped and it looked like there'd be no blowback for hiring Beard I don't think that Tech could afford him. And under those specific conditions Tech would not be his only option or his biggest option.

Last edited:

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Just throwing it out there, if we were to can Pastner this year, Abdur-Rahim is right up the road. He's taken Kennesaw State from one of the worst D1 programs in America to first in their conference and undefeated at home. Maybe A-Sun to ACC is too large of a leap, but he's been on several solid staff and has proven he can build a program from nothing.

Thoughts?
That’s not that bad of an idea. He’s the brother of a former Hawks star and he knows the city and state well. He’s only 41 years old, so he’s able to relate the the players more than older coaches.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Beard and Marshall are not options, so stop. Beard strangled his wife? not being considered. Marshall must have done something pretty bad too.

Jonas Hayes has a losing record in his first season as a HC, so not sure why anyone would want him right, Ron Hunter looks better. Can't believe I saw Daryl LaBarrie mentioned.

Maybe Ryan Odom wants to come back to ACC? Throw a bunch of money at Dan Hurley? :unsure:
This.

We will disqualify any actual candidate in order to not pay real money. At one point Kelvin Sampson was a risky hire and coming off of a show cause. Dennis gates was the hire of we were a real program. Whatever, this program is gonna fire Pastner and hire Pat Chambers.