If King can’t go

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
As someone who spent time in education at the HS level, I made a minor edit. It has been my experience that, despite all the conversations around the "state of education", 80% (my estimate) of it (a child's development across all areas including education) depends on the child's home life. If that is in order, everything else seems to work itself out. This is not research or even science, just based on my observations over 13 years. Kids with a good home get a head start that transcends all other more widely discussed or emotional factors.

Back to fb...someone above mentioned Tim Byerly. Zack is similar to TB in that I have as much confidence in him as I do the QB1 with no expectations of drop in performance.
Amen. It all starts in the home.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing I know well is that Pyron is one of, if not the most gritty QB’s I’ve ever seen.

I’ll never forget what he did vs VTech in 2022.

When he does play, he’s gonna leave it all out on the field.

PVdad- thanks for putting up with us. It’s awesome to have your son on our team and I’m excited to see more of him.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If Pyron is our QB on Saturday then I expect him to execute the game plan well. He has already shown he can do that. He engineered the win over VT 2 years ago and the GT-Miami game was 14-7 when he exited due to injury.
iirc, didn’t Zack stay in and run the next play even after his colar bone was broken (?)…kid is tough, I remember that much

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Depth chart released. King #1, Pyron #2, no Philo listed.

No surprise to me. Philo is an emergency onluy QB in this game.
He looked good against VMI. But that was against one of the weakest FCS teams after it had already been beat down. Can't really take anything out of that. It was basically a glorified scrimmage.
Would not want to throw him in against ND's defense.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
In a way, I hope Zach gets the opportunity on Saturday, he's earned it and our respect and support.

Even if Haynes is cleared to play, it's pretty clear he needs a day off ...
I agree on this. Reality is we are a big underdog to Notre Dame. Zach is a more than capable QB as shown by his starts in 2022. I would rather have King as healthy as possible against Va. Tech. Getting that win and having 2 weeks off in the next 3 weeks gives HK a much better chance to recover. Zach is a solid runner and our only realistic chance to beat Notre Dame is to run the ball well and shorten the game.

WraleighWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
HK has obviously been banged up for several games and has soldiered thru the injuries. I know CBK wants to ground and pound but CBF showed the proclivity to throw deep regularly last season but I think HKs injury has impacted this so far. I say start ZP regardless of whether HK can go and come out tossing it around the yard. If it’s working, keep him in. If HK can play, roll him out after ZP has had some run with a different game plan and see how ND reacts. Strategery!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
HK has obviously been banged up for several games and has soldiered thru the injuries. I know CBK wants to ground and pound but CBF showed the proclivity to throw deep regularly last season but I think HKs injury has impacted this so far. I say start ZP regardless of whether HK can go and come out tossing it around the yard. If it’s working, keep him in. If HK can play, roll him out after ZP has had some run with a different game plan and see how ND reacts. Strategery!

We have taken the shots. Last year we hit a few more of them.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I said in another thread that Buster/Weinke may not expect that the WR screens work well every time. It's more a matter of the results when they do (20 yards or so) and the way they only occasionally lose yards. Even when they "don't work" they usually get 3 - 5 yards. Same with the quick stuff. Also, the way our OL has protected our QBs is a product of decent blocking and a QB who gets rid of the ball. One reason King has been able to do that is that the O has been designed to allow him to do it.

I expect all this applies to Pyron. Or Philo, if it's him.
I’m sure you are right that the coaches know the bubble screens won’t work every time. But they also know that it causes the defense to at least have to respect the entire width of the field. Watching a really good breakdown of the last two plays of the UNC game showed that point really well. On Jamal’s TD the one outside LB/star(?) went much wider than he should have and that probably had something to do with him expecting pass and instead of covering his gap he was too wide the stop the run.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I have more confidence in Zach than I’ve had in any number 2 QB at GT that I can remember. and part of that is because I feel like the rest of the team has confidence in Zach. They for sure know he’s a warrior and will do everything he can to help us win games. And I think he has confidence in himself.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As someone who spent time in education at the HS level, I made a minor edit. It has been my experience that, despite all the conversations around the "state of education", 80% (my estimate) of it (a child's development across all areas including education) depends on the child's home life. If that is in order, everything else seems to work itself out. This is not research or even science, just based on my observations over 13 years. Kids with a good home get a head start that transcends all other more widely discussed or emotional factors.
Can't agree with this enough.
Just to add to the note regarding a good home, note that the home does not have to be a dual parent home or even any of the biological parents. It starts with the parents/custodians /caregiver first...

My wife is a first grade teacher and has seen plenty of evidence of this.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure you are right that the coaches know the bubble screens won’t work every time. But they also know that it causes the defense to at least have to respect the entire width of the field. Watching a really good breakdown of the last two plays of the UNC game showed that point really well. On Jamal’s TD the one outside LB/star(?) went much wider than he should have and that probably had something to do with him expecting pass and instead of covering his gap he was too wide the stop the run.
I think this is true. Even the perfect play call doesn’t work 100% of the time due to two things: 1) Less that perfect execution, and 2) The D made a good call and shut it down. There are very, very few plays that are just indefensible. The D always has a say.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Can't agree with this enough.
Just to add to the note regarding a good home, note that the home does not have to be a dual parent home or even any of the biological parents. It starts with the parents/custodians /caregiver first...

My wife is a first grade teacher and has seen plenty of evidence of this.
The statistical differences between two-parent situations and single-parent situations are remarkable. They don't have to cohabitate, but in situations where both parents are involved and on the same page regarding education, the child is more apt to thrive. But, as you say, it starts with the adults in charge and whether they value education. There are plenty of 2-parent households where education is not considered important where the children tend to perform poorly.